1 5.56%
  • 3w4

4 22.22%
First 223031323334 Last

MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    "Inner guidance," as in conscience? If you're speaking for yourself, can you be more specific about this?
    No not specifically as in conscience, and I don't think I explained myself very well. Going astray could mean morally-astray, but I was thinking more generally along the lines of deviating from that which is likely to serve your own best interests, which may or not affect others. It is complicated but in my case I often retreat into fantasy, to explore hypothetical situations (what would/should I do here?) to help find my own sense of guidance and identity, which I am also unclear about. The scenarios are often nothing to do with my current situation (as it doesn't generally 'engage' me), and I use it largely as a substitute for real-life experience, which I find too hazardous, overwhelming and disappointing - I'm overly intolerant of getting things 'wrong'. There is a sense that maybe one day I'll feel prepared enough to face life more fully, but in the meantime want to minimize my involvement, which has in turn reduced my commitments/responsibilities.

Instinctual variants don't mean anything to me either. When I first came to this forum I was shocked that instinctuals were being considered to such a degree. And apparently someone came along one day and decided they could be "stacked" like dice or dominoes.
    The funny thing is I find instinctual variant descriptions as specifically relating to sixes less relevant than those that are not type-specific. I too find the 'stacking' concept to be dubious.

Sixes don't stay in one Level for very long but vary up and down the continuum moment by moment.
    Yeah, I just find the one written for sixes by Riso & Hudson too narrow, but then this is reflective of their limited view of the type.
    Last edited by Alternatum; 06-13-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: verbal de-littering

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    No not specifically as in conscience, and I don't think I explained myself very well. Going astray could mean morally-astray, but I was thinking more generally along the lines of deviating from that which is likely to serve your own best interests, which may or not affect others. It is complicated but in my case I often retreat into fantasy, to explore hypothetical situations (what would/should I do here?) to help find my own sense of guidance and identity, which I am also unclear about. The scenarios are often nothing to do with my current situation (as it doesn't generally 'engage' me), and I use it largely as a substitute for real-life experience, which I find too hazardous, overwhelming and disappointing - I'm overly intolerant of getting things 'wrong'. There is a sense that maybe one day I'll feel prepared enough to face life more fully, but in the meantime want to minimize my involvement, which has in turn reduced my commitments/responsibilities.
    That sounds like a perfect description of the 4. According to Riso, the 4 is in a state of constantly preparing to face life fully. Eventually, the 4s comes to realize that it's too late, they have wasted their entire lives preparing for a life that has passed them by.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    The funny thing is I find instinctual variant descriptions as specifically relating to sixes less relevant than those that are not type-specific. I too find the 'stacking' concept to be dubious.

Yeah, I just find the one written for sixes by Riso & Hudson too narrow, but then this is reflective of their limited view of the type.
    That depends on where you read about it. Webpage descriptions aren't very good. Personality Types has a comprehensive description of each type. I don't believe Riso left any stone unturned in that book.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram

That sounds like a perfect description of the 4. According to Riso, the 4 is in a state of constantly preparing to face life fully. Eventually, the 4s comes to realize that it's too late, they have wasted their entire lives preparing for a life that has passed them by.
    Yeah I know, but I don't conform to every aspect of the behaviour specifications for either 4 or 6, so go by perception of core motivation first and foremost. I lack both reliable inner guidance and a strong sense of identity - these are both core issues for me. I reasoned that a six could feel defective just by feeling clueless, whereas can a four feel clueless due to feeling defective? I should perhaps also add that I don't actively avoid 'involvement' so much as not actually try much to be involved (I'm shy and hesitant) - don't know if that makes any difference though.

Maybe I've been biased by the forum I was involved with until recently, which had a more stringent definition of 4-dom than Riso & Hudson. But really it is unrealistic to think that everyone only has problems with guidance, identity or autonomy - I'm not sure everyone is 'a type', though I've observed enough to see that the types and underlying fixations exist.

That depends on where you read about it. Webpage descriptions aren't very good. Personality Types has a comprehensive description of each type. I don't believe Riso left any stone unturned in that book.
    I've read 'wisdom of the enneagram' by Riso/Hudson. I would be interested to know whether 'personality types' has deeper or broader information on the types than 'wisdom', which incorporates a spiritual development 'bent'.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

it's now between 4w3, 8w9 and 1w9.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i wish i could remember the exact point at which is struck me that you may be a 4w3, because i know i've been harboring that thought for a while now - maybe a month or so before you switched your sig to 4. it surprised me when you did (and admittedly gave me a dose of self-absorbed pride, lol) - given, of course, i don't know you IRL and i'm certainly no expert, but i'll share my current mind-tinkerings and let you see what you think.

you have a strong personality, i don't think there is anyone who can question that. certainly i can see a good deal of 8 in the way you are direct and power-oriented. however, most 8s do not exhibit nearly the degree of self-reflection and self-orientation that i think you do. to an 8 first, the main concern is being in control of their environment, and they have a very external orientation; their conflict seems mainly to be with the outside world. when i read your posts and see how you change your self-info, i don't get the sense that your conflict is mainly external. it seems that more of your conflict is internal, but you project it outwardly, and it manifests in your exchanges with the world.

when i first posted in this thread, i mentioned that i felt you were high-energy. i still think this is true. you seem dynamic to me. colorful. dramatic in the good sense of the term. it's not about body energy; you have a big identity. you have very clear tastes - you demonstrate to the forum what you like and what you do not. it's almost 3ish in nature... the thing is, an 8 really doesn't have much motivation to do that. consider kyuuei, an ENFP 8. she's pretty clear about herself, but there's no additional fantasy to it. your blog - "elfboy, chronicles of the prince of light" - there's little 8 about that title (i think blog titles are significant, because they're what you choose to describe reflecting on your life). it's not direct and in charge. it's a beautiful image though, it conjures fantasy. image. image triad. your name, too - what you choose to define yourself to the forum as. i'm not saying there couldn't be an 8 who chooses to call himself elfboy, but it's really not a name that speaks of 8. elves are beautiful, aristocratic, gentle, dreamy. and "boy" - kind of contradicts independence and assertion. it seems more 2, 4, 6, 7, or 9 than 1, 3, 5, or 8. "sword of the tempest" is also very fantastical and aesthetic in nature, though it does conjure an image of power. yet it's not straight-forward like 8.

let me steal from enneagraminstitute for a moment.

4. The Sensitive, Introspective type: Expressive, Dramatic, Self-Absorbed, and Temperamental
    check, check, check, check, check and check.

8. The Powerful, Dominating Type: Self-Confident, Decisive, Willful, and Confrontational
    i don't really see powerful, or dominating... i know that you talk about being these things IRL but i don't see them on the forum (you do make some less than sensitive remarks occasionally, lol, but those are always quite taste-oriented), check, check, check, ehh not really confrontational.

and as for more negative qualities - i don't see you doing direct put-downs, shitty abrasive remarks, etc. you're just kinda self-absorbed. i was just poking around threads and read this remark about you in that 3w4 thread -

Quote Originally Posted by Coco
    You seem way too aware of being a narcissistic asshole to really be one.
    which i think is true. i suspect more than a dominating, straight-talking 8, or a glossy, driven 3, or a conscientious, fastidious 1w9 (i don't see this one in you very much at all, not in the way you present yourself on the forum, at least), you're an expressive, creative, self-indulgent 4w3 aristocrat. i wanted to be a 4w3 for a while, actually, i think it's a beautiful typing, aesthetic and elegant... but i think that perhaps in 4ishness fantasy with a side of 3ish drive to excel, you see the traits of 8 and 1 that are really in you and that you would like to be more like, also, and fashion yourself in that way. like your blog - elfboy, prince of light - it conjures power and morality - and you are able to project those things about you that are facets of your personality. hence type confusion. but coco really hit the nail on the head. you seem much too aware to actually be an 8, and too openly expressive to actually be a 1. if anything it seems like your 1 attributes are more out of desire to be someone who appears like a 1 - upright, moral, a crusader, a prince of light. but not the negative qualities of a 1 - i don't see those in you.

what's particularly satisfying to me about that typing for you is that it resolves the issue of narcissism, which you clearly possess to some extent, but feels "put on", unlike 3's or 8's. certainly 8 could be second in your tritype, and as such it would reflect your greater degree of assertion and power-orientation.

4w3: The Aristocrat

These people are more self-conscious and aware of issues regarding their self-worth and how they are coming across to others than 4w5s. They want recognition for themselves and their work, and they typically put more effort into everything having to do with their self-presentation and related matters. They are more practical than 4w5, but also more extravagant - loving refinement, culture, and sophistication - typically seeing themselves as high class, elegant, and concerned with social acceptance. They can be competitive and disdainful of others; grandiosity and narcissism are expressed more openly and directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed
    It means you're independent, but you like to make an entrance.
    but of course this is all just conjecture

32 Pages?

The only sane advice one can give at this point is to take a break.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    32 Pages?

The only sane advice one can give at this point is to take a break.
    my last post in this thread was 2 weeks ago, I think that counts as a break
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTP

Why the hell do you keep making threads about yourself?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Why the hell do you keep making threads about yourself?
    this thread is like half a year old darling
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's now between 4w3, 8w9 and 1w9.
    I can certainly see 4w3.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.