Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    ...Did Fauvre just describe Eights as "more adult" than the other types?

No offense, Elfboy, but I'm not sure I'm buying what he's selling. Teenage Sevens don't become adult Eights - they become adult Sevens. They become Marlene Dietrichs, Steven Spielbergs, Robin Williamses, Wolfgang Mozarts and JFKs.

Then again, maybe I misunderstood him...
    I think you did he's saying their energy is more that of a teenager while the 2 is a motherly energy and the 8 and 1 are more father-like energies. I have to admit though, it does make 3-7 look kinda bad

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think you did he's saying their energy is more that of a teenager while the 2 is a motherly energy and the 8 and 1 are more father-like energies. I have to admit though, it does make 3-7 look kinda bad
    I see... sorry if I overreacted, it's just, it drives me up the wall when people use personality typing as a way of rejecting other people for what they are... :sad:

To compensate, I'll link to a good Eight description! Voila! (Scroll down to "The Powerful Person")

Core Value Tendency: EIGHTS are attracted to and appreciate power. They desire to be strong, independent, straightforward, assertive persons, who use their strength and influence to make the world a more just place to live in. They value equity, the equal distribution of power, and show a concern for the underprivileged and disenfranchised. Being your own person, doing your own thing, protecting your own is what life is all about.
    (...)
    Adaptive Behavioral Schemas: Forceful actions that follow from a proper understanding of justice and from an attitude of innocence are tempered by a compassionate concern for oneself and others. EIGHTS can tell the truth, tell it like it is, in a way that is challenging and up-building while not being punitive or tearing down. They are self confident, self-assured, magnanimous, good leaders, energized by a challenge and appreciating a good contest. EIGHTS can move against others to get what they need and to protect their territory. They can take charge, act on their own, and get things done. They enjoy exerting energy, protecting the weak, and empowering the disenfranchised.
    (...)
    Resourceful State: When EIGHTS are in a resourceful relaxed state, they believe that the world is just and that justice will come about without their having to seek vengeance. They trust others and respect their rights as much as they demand respect for their own rights. Assuming an attitude of innocence, they use their power to build others up and help them vs intimidating or debunking them. In touch with their tender gentle side, they are compassionate toward themselves and others. They personify the saying: There is nothing stronger than true gentleness and nothing gentler than true strength. I am therefore I am powerfully present replaces Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of Darkness, I shall fear no evil, for I am the meanest SOB in the valley.
    Hope you'll forgive me...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I see... sorry if I overreacted, it's just, it drives me up the wall when people use personality typing as a way of rejecting other people for what they are... :sad:

To compensate, I'll link to a good Eight description! Voila! (Scroll down to "The Powerful Person")

Hope you'll forgive me...
    you didn't overreact, you made an incorrect hypothesis. not the same thing
    and the description is great

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Type 1 qualities in me
    - self righteous as hell (I'm sure most people who've read my posts will agree with that lol)
    - not standing for any kind of injustice
    - justice > people
    - desire to be "pure"
    - consider myself superior to those I deem immoral
    - "Judge not lest you be judged"... I don't follow this lol
    - I relate to a ton of 1s like Light Yagami, Joan of Arc and Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame
    - the one time in my life where I was severely stressed, I turned like Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame
    - can also turn into a rigid bastard under stress (occurences of this are few and far between)
    - I get the paradoxical "ego trip of having high self esteem" that characterizes the type 1
    - when I watched Death Note, I thought Kira had a good point
    - if someone doesn't possess moral integrity, there is no way for them to redeem themselves in my eyes
    - I like to think I'm this righteous hero who's come to save everyone. it was hard for me to accept that people are naturally good because I wanted to condemn them as evil so I could disassociate myself from them (accepting this principle required quite the release of ego)
    - I have no sympathy for criminals or societal dredges
    - I don't consider myself a rebel. in my eyes, I'm the authority and they're the ones rebelling against me
    - tend to be respectful and referent of things that are important
    - I don't see any of myself in the unhealthy 8 descriptions, but I see a fair amount of myself in the unhealthy 1 descriptions

things about me that aren't 1
    - not a perfectionist in any sense of the word
    - have more of an "attitude" than most 1s. there is nothing goody 2 shoes about me
    - would like to be pure... but I'm not
    - don't serve anyone or anything
    - incredibly self serving and not altruistic at all
    - I'm not nit picky about most things
    - healthy 8s can seem a lot like 1s
    - NF 8s can seem a lot like 1s
    - NFs in general can seem a lot like 1s
    - 1s try to convert their enemies, 8s slay them... I'm a slayer
    - I love rap, which is like the opposite vibe as type 1
    - 1s are the pure, goody 2 shoes hero, 8s are the spunky hero with attitude and personality. I am the latter

MBTI
    IsFJ

- have more of an "attitude" than most 1s. there is nothing goody 2 shoes about me
    Well, Ones can be quite prickly at times. Raul Julia's character in Kiss of the Spider Woman, for example.

- would like to be pure... but I'm not
    Ones idealize purity, since it's their Holy Idea, but that does not make them pure. The unhealthy Ones rationalize away their impurity and blame others so they can feel purer by comparison, like Frollo.

- don't serve anyone or anything
    Ones can be pretty independent, which is why they frequently mistype as Fives.

- incredibly self serving and not altruistic at all
    We've been through this... All types, even Twos, can be self-serving in their own way. Type =/= morality.

- I'm not nit picky about most things
    Well, not all Ones are that nitpicky, especially 1w9s and Intuitives.

- healthy 8s can seem a lot like 1s
    True. Just watch about any Western-genre movies. They see people being oppressed, they put their foot down.

- NF 8s can seem a lot like 1s
    Again, very true. MLK, for example.

- NFs in general can seem a lot like 1s
    True, but, I think slightly less true of ENFPs, who often look like Sevens...

They sometimes lack the One's slight detachment, though.

- 1s try to convert their enemies, 8s slay them... I'm a slayer
    Could you elaborate on that? I don't want to think you're a serial killer, but...

Note, though, that Ones can be quite ruthless if they perceive their enemies as "impure". The Inquisition was a prime example.

- I love rap, which is like the opposite vibe as type 1
    Well, type =/= music taste, but I do find it hard to think of, say, Teresa Lisbon from The Mentalist as a rap fan.

- 1s are the pure, goody 2 shoes hero, 8s are the spunky hero with attitude and personality. I am the latter
    Ones aren't so much purist as critical and attentive to standards. They aren't all Miss Manners types, though they also hold back a lot, so I'd be hard-pressed to find a One "spunky".

Ones do have personalities! They are properly categorized and shelved in their speckless files.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well, Ones can be quite prickly at times. Raul Julia's character in Kiss of the Spider Woman, for example.

Ones idealize purity, since it's their Holy Idea, but that does not make them pure. The unhealthy Ones rationalize away their impurity and blame others so they can feel purer by comparison, like Frollo.

Ones can be pretty independent, which is why they frequently mistype as Fives.

We've been through this... All types, even Twos, can be self-serving in their own way. Type =/= morality.

Well, not all Ones are that nitpicky, especially 1w9s and Intuitives.

True. Just watch about any Western-genre movies. They see people being oppressed, they put their foot down.

Again, very true. MLK, for example.

True, but, I think slightly less true of ENFPs, who often look like Sevens...

They sometimes lack the One's slight detachment, though.

Could you elaborate on that? I don't want to think you're a serial killer, but...

Note, though, that Ones can be quite ruthless if they perceive their enemies as "impure". The Inquisition was a prime example.

Well, type =/= music taste, but I do find it hard to think of, say, Teresa Lisbon from The Mentalist as a rap fan.

Ones aren't so much purist as critical and attentive to standards. They aren't all Miss Manners types, though they also hold back a lot, so I'd be hard-pressed to find a One "spunky".

Ones do have personalities! They are properly categorized and shelved in their speckless files.
    you make excelent points. especially after watching the first few episodes of Code Geass, I've looked at Lelouch (1w9) and been like "omg that is SO me!"

MBTI
    IsFJ

It should be noted, though, that Eights embrace their anger more often than Ones, or so I've heard. Ones tend to rationalize their anger as criticism and condemnation, instead of finding healthy ways of sublimating it. They don't want to become "irrational" or "temperamental", preferring to maintain a tight rein on their temper. It explains why sometimes they're said to have big sticks up their a**es.

I do love them, though. Heck, I love most balanced types, but Ones have an alluring mixture of politeness and intensity. That, and you can't not admire their work ethic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

It should be noted, though, that Eights embrace their anger more often than Ones, or so I've heard. Ones tend to rationalize their anger as criticism and condemnation, instead of finding healthy ways of sublimating it. They don't want to become "irrational" or "temperamental", preferring to maintain a tight rein on their temper. It explains why sometimes they're said to have big sticks up their a**es.

I do love them, though. Heck, I love most balanced types, but Ones have an alluring mixture of politeness and intensity. That, and you can't not admire their work ethic.
    - my work ethic friggin sucks lol
    - polite yet intense, that's definitely me
    - I hate rules and authority
    - not wanting to be seen as irrational or temperamental, that's me too ^v^
    - I don't feel like I spend the majority of my time chasing after a cause, but when I do, I'm damn good at it and all of a sudden turn into this ENTJ-esque charismatic leader type who is competent and decisive.
    - I can seem like their is a stick up my ass when I'm angry. I get very formal and composed and start speaking like a father giving his son a lecture (I try to tone this down though, it's gotta be annoying as fuck lol)
    - I would love to view myself as the mythic hero type that so characterizes the INFP 1w9 (they might just be my favorite type)

I have a ton of 8 qualities too though
    - protectiveness
    - tons of spunk
    - disagreeable
    - entrepreneural
    - power seeking
    - I HATE being told what to do.
    - it's my way or the high way. screw compromising
    - playful, love to be wild

I don't have the natural strength and confidence of an 8 though. I do have tremendous amounts of both, but I had to work for them. I was a timid little kid

Step away from the topic. Don't think about it. Return to it at a later date, wait a few days, a few weeks. Time can crystallize things by creating distance and a larger scope. This intent, myopic hyperfocus is only going to distort the truth.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    IsFJ

Well, I'm currently on the fence... Mind you, I don't have much real-life experience with this stuff, so I might be wrong on some accounts...

If you were a One, though, I'd guess you were a Two-winger... The protectiveness thing and all. In any case, I'd say you either have a strong wing or are heavily influenced by your other Centers (i. e. your non-primary Tritype numbers).

I'm facing a similar dilemma myself, being torn between 6 and 9 and possibly even other types... You're not alone.