First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Even so, knowing what motivates oneself doesn't take that much effort, it's often clearly present in ones actions and thoughts.
    We're not talking about any old motivation, such as being thirsty and seeking water. We're talking about a "thirst" that goes all the way down to the core of one's spiritual being. That is quite a bit more abstract and esoteric than anything we can easily introspect. Of course in hindsight, once you learn the enneagram, it might seem easier, but that is post hoc thinking. And that's been my point all along. Such knowledge requires reading a book.

The problem with this is that its nothing more than the casual observations of but one man. It's not a reliable tested assessement and I'd be somewhat skeptical of it, in terms of the really complicated matters. Like, knowing fears and motivations is fairly reasonable, as we all have something that drives us, but all this stuff about growth, disintegration, wings, and such, in the absence of reliable and objective data, is nonsensical.
    Objectively speaking, but not subjectively. Actually I found it all quite helpful at one time to my personal growth, even if it is completely false to the real world. There are forms of therapy out there which are helpful yet need pay no attention to whether or not the theories are empirically verifiable.

Not true, I knew damn well what my motivations in life were long before I even heard of the enneagram. Also, if psychological reductionism is going to be applied anywhere, it should be in the additional details of the enneagram, not the main part of it; less focus on intergration and health level, more focus on finding individual motivations. Once parts of it are fully defined and tested, only then can the true knowledge of factors like health levels and processes into other types be known.
    We're talking about the one key motivation that rules your personality type, not the easily rooted-out derivative motives. Of course as I said in a previous comment, as a child I was motivated by finding friends. That was perhaps motivated by loneliness and feeling included. And that was a feeling motivated by - ??? I was also motivated to make good grades in elementary school in order to please my mother. That was motivated by my desire to receive maternal love and affection, which was motivated by - ???

You may be write in your assessment of him, I do see reasons for why he could be 3, or 6, or 8, etc. Although, Elfboy now also knows of another route to help him discover his type
    His very self-doubt about his type points toward 6. His insistence toward me that he is an 8 - despite his previous doubts which motivated this thread - in disregard of all the evidence, comes from 6. His intellectually advanced style of debating is definitely not 8, and his kind and diligent attention paid to everybody's comments here points toward 6.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't know where to begin, I give off several. most of the common ones are people say I have a "big" personality, polarizing, intense, firebrand, charismatic
    There is a distinction here to be made between that external shell type - which you say gives off ENTJ vibes and that sounds correct - and the inner, soft core which is perhaps ENFP, a very different type that people get to know only when they are close to you (or when they are allowed inside that shell, let's say). This implies a type 6, as it does with my childhood friend who scored INFP earlier in life and ENTJ a few years later. One of the pictures at the heading of a type-6 description depicted a baby in a suit of armor.

I took this opportunity to look up the ENFP description at personalitypages.com. I searched for correlations with the Enneagram and finally found this: "ENFPs almost always have a strong need to be liked." That is definitely a core motivation of the type 6. If you don't recognize it as a motivator, then perhaps you should learn to recognize it as such.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I guess I take it for granted that everybody here knows that the Sixes are a shell type. What you have been describing fits the type completely.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    We're not talking about any old motivation, such as being thirsty and seeking water. We're talking about a "thirst" that goes all the way down to the core of one's spiritual being. That is quite a bit more abstract and esoteric than anything we can easily introspect. Of course in hindsight, once you learn the enneagram, it might seem easier, but that is post hoc thinking. And that's been my point all along. Such knowledge requires reading a book.
    I know, that's what I was referring to, and I was saying that such abstract desires are usually easy to know, as by early adulthood most people know what they want; some want money, some want peace, some want to enjoy everything in life, I want to satisfy a God complex and rule the world, etc. The study of the enneagram may help with that, but it also may muddle the process when the types match a person but the descriptions do not.

Objectively speaking, but not subjectively. Actually I found it all quite helpful at one time to my personal growth, even if it is completely false to the real world. There are forms of therapy out there which are helpful yet need pay no attention to whether or not the theories are empirically verifiable.
    That's wonderful and all that subjectively this knowledge has helped you; we all use some internal method of logic to learn more about ourselves and the world. But if the enneagram is to ever become anything better than a horoscope-esq psychoanalytical philosophy then it needs to be brought under an objective lens, otherwise many people who could gain help from it will just dismiss it as astrology.

We're talking about the one key motivation that rules your personality type, not the easily rooted-out derivative motives. Of course as I said in a previous comment, as a child I was motivated by finding friends. That was perhaps motivated by loneliness and feeling included. And that was a feeling motivated by - ??? I was also motivated to make good grades in elementary school in order to please my mother. That was motivated by my desire to receive maternal love and affection, which was motivated by - ???
    Discovering ones motivations requires only a good understanding of self through introspection and analysis. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I want in life, and know exactly why I want it.

His very self-doubt about his type points toward 6. His insistence toward me that he is an 8 - despite his previous doubts which motivated this thread - in disregard of all the evidence, comes from 6. His intellectually advanced style of debating is definitely not 8, and his kind and diligent attention paid to everybody's comments here points toward 6.
    8 can't be kind nor diligent?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

8 can't be kind nor diligent?
    Yes, but not at the same time. Diligence requires an effort where the focus turns away from "soft" people issues and towards material rewards. Kindness only comes after the diligent effort has paid off.

Think of the type 8 as a person with dichotomized objective and subjective realms. So intent is their focus on the material world that they not only forget that you are a person with feelings, they even forget about their own bodies and ignore/repress warning signs of advancing illness until death is close on their tails. When they can no longer work (or pursue material rewards some other way), then the personal illness comes to their attention. Their own bodies are just another part of the subjective realm. If you think 8s are hard on you, that is only a reflection of how [unkindly] they treat themselves [in pursuit of the reward].

Kindness - or diligence. But never at the same time.

brainheart

I think finding the primary motivation can very much be a challenge. I thought for me it was obviously that of the four. It took me awhile to realize there's always been a clause attached: 'I will express myself and openly explore my feelings... If it won't cause me problems...if it won't make my parents think less of me... If it won't threaten my current stability and relationships..if it won't disturb my peace."

Once you figure it out, it can be remarkably epiphanic. Sometimes it takes awhile to get there.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I know, that's what I was referring to, and I was saying that such abstract desires are usually easy to know, as by early adulthood most people know what they want; some want money, some want peace, some want to enjoy everything in life, I want to satisfy a God complex and rule the world, etc
    "Abstract" motivation is something non-derivative. You can use the terms "core" and "key" motivations. But what I want to know is this: does the desire to obtain peace explain all the rest? Does the desire to rule the world also rule all your other psychological desires? How do you know when you've peeled the onion until you hit ground zero?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I think finding the primary motivation can very much be a challenge. I thought for me it was obviously that of the four. It took me awhile to realize there's always been a clause attached: 'I will express myself and openly explore my feelings... If it won't cause me problems...if it won't make my parents think less of me... If it won't threaten my current stability and relationships..if it won't disturb my peace."

Once you figure it out, it can be remarkably epiphanic. Sometimes it takes awhile to get there.
    I agree. Maybe some people naturally find it easier. As for the epiphany, that occurred when I concluded I was a 4 upon reading the description in Personality Types. However, I decided a month later it was a falsely-based epiphany. Not that it mattered, the benefits of studying this system as a type 4 had already occurred.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I just remembered I left out an essential part of my 5 minute life story. at that is from 9th to 10th grade when I became a hardcore conservative christian and was constantly condemning people as being sinful and dirty. during this time, a girl tried to flirt with me and I punched her in the face and called her a dirty whore. I requently told people that they were "out of place" and even went so far as to think that the united states should be made into a theocracy where people were forced not to sin. however, due to my extremity, I ended up following this line of thought to it's logical conclusions and thus abandoned it as that is not what God would want for the world (or he would have made it so). eventually, I began to rediscover my repressed feelings and that's when stage 2 of my self therapy could really begin. even to this day though, I find women with bad manners extremely offensive and try to carry myself upright and with integrity (though as I'm sure you're aware, I don't do this rigidly anymore). similarly, I am frequently driven to do things in a way I feel is "tasteful" (what I think is tasteful at least, not what other people think, which I usually think is digusting). looking at my interests, almost all of them relate to some sort of higher ideal or heroism, integrity, distinction or courage and I strive to be a strong hero and defender of the weak. for example, my some of my primary interests are opera, fine teas, fencing and hygiene. all of these things much be done in a "proper" way to be of good tastes and acceptable to the connoisseur. while good and bad tastes are subjective, I believe there is such thing as good and bad tastes even if they are not tangible. this side of my personality that I've left out is undeniably 1-ish and worth consideration
    PS: sorry for not including it earlier (for those of you regular posters), I'm sure it would have saved a lot of hardache

Edit: as I've gotten older, I've realized that there is more than 1 right way to do something, but I think the idea that "there's no wrong way to do it" it stupid, tasteless and base. I've also realized that you cannot force someone to except what you believe is right as true conviction and integrity are not something you can give anyone.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Your're not 1w9.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan