Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default You know you're an 8 when...

-disclaimer: I'm not absolutely certain that I'm an 8-

You know you're an 8 when
    - you HATE other people who tell you what to do
    - you resent those you are attracted to because they make you feel vulnerable
    - when you're uncomfortable, you act more formal and create between yourself and your environment so that it can't affect you negatively
    - you're really soft and snuggly on the inside, you just wish people would let you show it
    - you tell someone much older "don't use that tone with me!"
    - others say you're overly disagreeable and argumentative even when you think you were being friendly
    - constantly dream of attaining wealth, power and autonomy
    - despite what others may think, you are a VERY fervent and affectionate lover to those close to you

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    you resent those you are attracted to because they make you feel vulnerable
    -
    this is so fucked up
    hahha, just kidding

but it is so weird.. i experienced this on my own skin. hm. i knew one guy who is ENTP and 8, and he was all protective of me when he thought he "can have me", but when he found out i have a bf he became so violent towards me.... and since i knew hes an 8, i knew its because he is jealous. but its not very pleasant. if i didnt know about enneagram i'd think he really hates me ... but i know that 8s dont attack weaker people, he was all cuddly when he thought i am not above him (and i am not, but in his perception).

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    this is so fucked up
    hahha, just kidding

but it is so weird.. i experienced this on my own skin. hm. i knew one guy who is ENTP and 8, and he was all protective of me when he thought he "can have me", but when he found out i have a bf he became so violent towards me.... and since i knew hes an 8, i knew its because he is jealous. but its not very pleasant. if i didnt know about enneagram i'd think he really hates me ... but i know that 8s dont attack weaker people, he was all cuddly when he thought i am not above him (and i am not, but in his perception).
    you've points out a common misconception. 8s are much more likely to attack someone stronger than them than weaker then them

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    8s are much more likely to attack someone stronger than them than weaker then them
    8 has a heart huh?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Not true at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Check this out. It might clarify some things about 8's.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Check this out. It might clarify some things about 8's.
    ^ Looks like Riso & Hudson's work. Thanks for sharing the link.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ Not true at all.
    ^ :1377: Au contraire my dear...
    Quote Originally Posted by Riso & Hudson, best-selling Enneagram authors
    |8's| (Most Healthy - The Level of Liberation): Become self-restrained and magnanimous, merciful and forbearing, mastering self through their self-surrender to a higher authority. Courageous, willing to put self in serious jeopardy to achieve their vision and have a lasting influence. May achieve true heroism and historical greatness...
    Read More, http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-8.html#he

About Riso & Hudson:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riso-Hu...Type_Indicator

You're welcome.

And another link. I prefer this one since it tempers some of that heroic stuff. But it, like most other descriptions is over-the-top for 8's. This part is cool and s'truth:

Behind your tough exterior you are gentle, playful, childlike and innocent. Always one to laugh, you can see the humor even in the most painful and difficult of circumstances. You are also unusually devoted to and protective of those in your ‘inner circle,’ often secretly going without so that others will have what they need. Living by your own personal code of honor, you have a strong sense of justice which compels you to act whenever you see any kind of injustice taking place.

A window to the soul

^ that's right on for me.

- you HATE other people who tell you what to do

Hate's a strong word. I'm fine to follow a good lead but will not follow a bad one.

- you resent those you are attracted to because they make you feel vulnerable

No, not at all. Attraction for me is so few and far between that I welcome crushes but only if they're reciprocated. If not, no big deal. Latah.

- when you're uncomfortable, you act more formal and create between yourself and your environment so that it can't affect you negatively

Depends. Sometimes I use humour to disspell uncomfortable situations. Most people like to laugh, including myself.

- you're really soft and snuggly on the inside, you just wish people would let you show it

Snuggly? Wouldn't say that but with loved ones, I do show a softer side.

- you tell someone much older "don't use that tone with me!"

Age doesn't matter. If there's an unnecessary tone being used, they can either amend it or they're not going to get cooperation.

- others say you're overly disagreeable and argumentative even when you think you were being friendly

For every action, there's a reaction. If you choose blunt and directive language, be prepared that there will be people who take offense. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the offense or not.

- constantly dream of attaining wealth, power and autonomy

Nope. If I want it bad enough, I set a plan and get it.

- despite what others may think, you are a VERY fervent and affectionate lover to those close to you.

Uncertain how this is applicable to 8's specifically. Might be your variant.