• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] ISFP Eight?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
When I typed myself as a Five I was very depressed. I used to relate almost completely to the description of an unhealthy Five. Now that I seem to be mostly recovered, I think I may not be a Five after all.

I can be slightly "ambiverted" - I can easily come across as a full extravert if the conversation is interesting enough for me to want to participate - but in no way am I a pure extravert all the time. It seems like Eight is a very extraverted enneagram type?

Also... I don't relate to the ISFP 8s here. (Then again, I don't relate to any ISFP... Which makes sense if I'm 5w6 since there aren't any other ISFP 5w6s I've seen, but not if I'm 8. I might also be some other type, though unlikely, but I'm quite sure I am an Fi user at least.)

I've bolded the parts that I relate to. Description is from here.
Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable. At their Best: self- mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.

I couldn't care less about improving others' lives.

* Basic Fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others
* Basic Desire: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life and destiny)

Key Motivations: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.

I don't particularly like to control others, but if it's a choice between controlling or being controlled, I'd rather do the former. If someone else is controlling me, they are taking away my freedom and autonomy. I value these things highly, but I think even that is only because freedom allows me to evade harm others want to do to me. Freedom also allows me to direct my life as I want to. I think this is my primary motivation, but I'm not sure which type it correlates to the best.

Does anyone have any input?

Edit: Importing Elfboy's post from the INFP 8s thread...
- I am constantly 8, but that doesn't mean I go bossing people around all day. lol 8s are bossy when (or when they preceive) people are their way. if you are in an 8s way, they are going to remove you.
- 8 is not about regulation. 8 is about minimizing restraints on oneself and . regulation is what unhealthy 8s do in an attempt at a "I need to control my environment so it doesn't control me" mentality. the basic need is freedom and control over YOUR domain, not other peoples'. problems occur when 8s don't know what their domain is.
- actually, a lot of 8s, self included absolutely HATE controlling other people and get pissed off as hell when other people are controlling
- 8s are adamant about what they care about, but not about things they don't care about
- any MBTI type can be any Enneatype. there is no direct correlation between cognition and motivation/fear.
- if you really want an 8 to like you, just leave them alone and let them do their thing. that's when they're trully happy, not from bossing people around all day

I relate to ALL of that...

Last edited:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
obvious ISFP 8s that come to mind
Donald Trump
Derek Vinyard (American History X)

Anakin Skywalker is also a possible ISFP 8

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you can check out my INFP 8 blog if you're interested. there will probably be some differences, but there are bound to be a lot of similarities with dominant Fi.

VagrantFarce

Maybe you're just a Five who grew into his gut?

Both Fives and Eights are pre-occupied with autonomy, but the strategies they use to gain that autonomy are vastly different.

• Fives gain autonomy by withdrawing and minimizing their "footprint" - the temptation is to hide and watch, rather than participate.
  • Eights gain autonomy by being assertive and headstrong - their footprint is loud and heavy. The temptation here is to be too intense and push against the world.

Both types can also share certain behaviours:

• Fives can seem like Eights when they feel the need to hide away, but can't - they become like cornered Foxes and can easily lash out at anything that threatens their personal space or energy.
  • Eights can seem like Fives when they feel the need to take control of a situation - they may become avaricious and fearful, which only helps to fuel their intensity.

I should point out that Fives are not always withdrawn and detached, and Eights are not always raging bulls - that's too simplistic.

[youtube=3HcmfYu81Mg]Defensive Eight[/youtube]

[youtube=nMeYdSYCC7A]Defensive Five[/youtube]

Sunny Ghost

have you considered maybe you're a 4w5 instead, who integrated towards enneagram 1?

as i became more "healthy" as the enneagram describes it, i began appearing more like a type 1. confrontational, aggressive, confident, etc.

just a thought.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
have you considered maybe you're a 4w5 instead, who integrated towards enneagram 1?

as i became more "healthy" as the enneagram describes it, i began appearing more like a type 1. confrontational, aggressive, confident, etc.

just a thought.

that's a possibility, most of the traits listed that penny89 said she related to could also be applied to type 4. their energies are completely different, but 4s and 8s share a lot of things in common if you look at the specifics.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I used to think I was 5w4 but I quickly realized I am not. I don't have too much of the individualist tendencies. 4w5 is even more off. I have never felt defective. If anything, my self-esteem is narcisisstically high. I used to want to be a Four. So I told myself I was 5w4. After I really thought about it, I realized I was kidding myself. Actually, I am back to thinking 5w6 now, just a healthier version of the same type and not as anxious.

you can check out my INFP 8 blog if you're interested. there will probably be some differences, but there are bound to be a lot of similarities with dominant Fi.
Will do.

Thanks to all.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to think I was 5w4 but I quickly realized I am not. I don't have too much of the individualist tendencies. 4w5 is even more off. I have never felt defective. If anything, my self-esteem is narcisisstically high. I used to want to be a Four. So I told myself I was 5w4. After I really thought about it, I realized I was kidding myself. Actually, I am back to thinking 5w6 now, just a healthier version of the same type and not as anxious.

Will do.

Thanks to all.

it's in the NF blogs. INFP 8 Champion of Justice and Defender of the Downtrodden

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[youtube=3HcmfYu81Mg]Defensive Eight[/youtube]

[youtube=nMeYdSYCC7A]Defensive Five[/youtube]

Agree with the TSN typing, but who do you think the Eight is in AHX? Cameron fo sho. Derek's a cp6.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it's in the NF blogs. INFP 8 Champion of Justice and Defender of the Downtrodden

Is this you who thinks you're an INFP 8? No chance. If you're defo INFP, consider Four - you can, believe it or not, get mixed up with these two types. Maybe Five too. Also I read that INFJ 8s are actually more common than I realised at first.

VagrantFarce

Agree with the TSN typing, but who do you think the Eight is in AHX? Cameron fo sho. Derek's a cp6.

Both! There's no chance Derek's a head type, he feeds off rage and anger rather than self-doubt. Social 8 all the way.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Does anyone else think Donald Trump is an ISFP 8? Maybe ESFP

Actually now I think ESTP. ESTP 8