Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default A Legitimate INFP 8?

This has been bothering me for the longest time now. I consistently score low on extraversion (MBTI not big 5) (usually moderately expressed introvert. sometimes low expressed introvert) and yet I relate more to the ENFP descriptions than the INFP ones.
    similarly, I am type 8, but most of the negative qualities of type 8 I'm like "I would NEVER do that!" It's not that I don't do them, just that I don't recognize them in myself. the 8 descriptions make them out to be these horrific tyrants who oppress the weak and helpless, but, even if this were true (and I'm sure it isn't. for 8s who are even partially healthy at least) an INFP 8 sounds more like the guy who would destroy the tyrant or beat up the bully...and probably get a kick out of it (I suspect a number of INFPs mistype as 1s who are really 8s). 8s are also seen as overly argumentative and confrontational, but I think most of us just appear this way because of the way we talk.

I can see an ENFP 4 or an ENFP 9 being more introverted, but I feel like an ENFP 8 or 7 would be really extraverted and have much higher energy than I do. one of the reasons I didn't relate to 8 was I was comparing myself to my ENTJ 8w7 friend who is so choleric that he would actually enjoy being jumped by a group of thugs and kicking their asses.

also, as a child, I was not noticibly 8-ish at all until around 13-14 (except I would have short periods of unusually high confidence and then all of a sudden be shy for awhile). even then, it took me a few more years to gain more confidence (but once I did get it, it took off like a jet) it would also explain why half of me wanted to be like a dragon ball z fighter or a powerful, dragon slaying swordsman who waged war and the other half wanted to be a classy, tea party having prince who hung out with mostly females and played with cute animals all day (my parents did not know what to think of these bi polar interests)

the thing that confuses me most is that INFP it's description seems like it would be the LEAST likely of all the types to be an 8.

PS: I have to admit though, almost all of the enneagram descriptions make one seem to go "Oh dear! I hope I'm not that!" the descriptions seem to bring out the negative far more than the positive.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

actually, I'm going to move this to a blog.

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

I think being a healthy ENFP e8, could seriously have some major benefits... I do agree that enneagram lists a lot of negative stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff in every type as well... personally type 9, good and bad, fits me to a T, doesnt all fit me right NOW but fits what ive been in the past and what I am now, the levels where definitely helpful in determining my type for sure as well..., If 8 just doesnt really feel right to you, then it may not be.

brainheart

I have a friend who's an ENFP 8w9. For the longest time she thought she was an INFP; in other words, she's not overly extroverted. You must be reading the same enneagram descriptions for 8 that also claim 5s are unfeeling evil scientists. I fully agree with you about the 8 vs 1. I think my mom is an 8w7 ENFP. For a while I thought she was a 1 because she is really into her causes, defending the weak and helpless, etc, but it is a very different energy than the 1. She is boisterous and fun and freely shows her anger; my father, the 1, is very proper and reserved. I know that I get more 8 than 1 as well when I am defending those who need defense- it is very physical feeling vs principle-based. Instinctual mother bear defending her cubs sort of thing.

It would seem to me, however, that INFP 8s and 1s are unlikely. More likely would be that they are either ENFP 8s or INFJ 1s. Or they are INFP 4s integrating to 1 or INFP 5s integrating to 8.

EDIT: (Or the obvious 9w1/9w8 which I totally overlooked.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    PS: I have to admit though, almost all of the enneagram descriptions make one seem to go "Oh dear! I hope I'm not that!" the descriptions seem to bring out the negative far more than the positive.
    Well, the enneagram is mostly about one's habitually used, instinctive psychological defenses. While one developed those defenses for a reason, they become so ingrained that one uses them by reflex—merely reacting rather than choosing. The idea is that with knowledge of one's defenses (and perhaps a mindfulness practice), one can learn to choose when to engage those defenses. Otherwise, they tend to be an impediment, triggering at inappropriate times and preventing any real growth or intimacy.

So, the descriptions are really about the negative, and rightly so. If the description of the negative aspects of one's enneatype doesn't make one feel a bit queasy and disgusted, then I'd be dubious that it's the right type. In fact, I would tend to pay attention to the type that that triggers a thought of "please, dear God, let THIS one not be my type."

(BTW, I'm not arguing that you aren't an 8... just that if you only identify with the positive aspects of an enneagram type, then that bears further investigation)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Well, the enneagram is mostly about one's habitually used, instinctive psychological defenses. While one developed those defenses for a reason, they become so ingrained that one uses them by reflex—merely reacting rather than choosing. The idea is that with knowledge of one's defenses (and perhaps a mindfulness practice), one can learn to choose when to engage those defenses. Otherwise, they tend to be an impediment, triggering at inappropriate times and preventing any real growth or intimacy.

So, the descriptions are really about the negative, and rightly so. If the description of the negative aspects of one's enneatype doesn't make one feel a bit queasy and disgusted, then I'd be dubious that it's the right type. In fact, I would tend to pay attention to the type that that triggers a thought of "please, dear God, let THIS one not be my type."

(BTW, I'm not arguing that you aren't an 8... just that if you only identify with the positive aspects of an enneagram type, then that bears further investigation)
    I agree with all of this

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I'd think being an INFP and an 8 would be pretty exhausting, since one would be pulled in opposite directions a lot. It would also make getting a handle on one's coping mechanisms more of a priority than for those whose types naturally reinforce one another, I'd think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I'd think being an INFP and an 8 would be pretty exhausting, since one would be pulled in opposite directions a lot. It would also make getting a handle on one's coping mechanisms more of a priority than for those whose types naturally reinforce one another, I'd think.
    you can check out my blog post if you like. it talks a lot about that

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Actually Elfboy, from your posting style and personal demeanor, you come across as a fairly extraverted person (and lets not forget that ENFP's in general are the least extraverted extraverts). Perhaps your not aware of how extraverted you really are?

Oh cool, you got a blog.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Actually Elfboy, from your posting style and personal demeanor, you come across as a fairly extraverted person (and lets not forget that ENFP's in general are the least extraverted extraverts). Perhaps your not aware of how extraverted you really are?

Oh cool, you got a blog.
    right now I alternate I/E depending on my environment. as a kid though, I was introverted as hell until age 13 or 14 and my 8-ishness was much more subtle