• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] A Legitimate INFP 8?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This has been bothering me for the longest time now. I consistently score low on extraversion (MBTI not big 5) (usually moderately expressed introvert. sometimes low expressed introvert) and yet I relate more to the ENFP descriptions than the INFP ones.
similarly, I am type 8, but most of the negative qualities of type 8 I'm like "I would NEVER do that!" It's not that I don't do them, just that I don't recognize them in myself. the 8 descriptions make them out to be these horrific tyrants who oppress the weak and helpless, but, even if this were true (and I'm sure it isn't. for 8s who are even partially healthy at least) an INFP 8 sounds more like the guy who would destroy the tyrant or beat up the bully...and probably get a kick out of it :devil: (I suspect a number of INFPs mistype as 1s who are really 8s). 8s are also seen as overly argumentative and confrontational, but I think most of us just appear this way because of the way we talk.

I can see an ENFP 4 or an ENFP 9 being more introverted, but I feel like an ENFP 8 or 7 would be really extraverted and have much higher energy than I do. one of the reasons I didn't relate to 8 was I was comparing myself to my ENTJ 8w7 friend who is so choleric that he would actually enjoy being jumped by a group of thugs and kicking their asses.

also, as a child, I was not noticibly 8-ish at all until around 13-14 (except I would have short periods of unusually high confidence and then all of a sudden be shy for awhile). even then, it took me a few more years to gain more confidence (but once I did get it, it took off like a jet) it would also explain why half of me wanted to be like a dragon ball z fighter or a powerful, dragon slaying swordsman who waged war and the other half wanted to be a classy, tea party having prince who hung out with mostly females and played with cute animals all day (my parents did not know what to think of these bi polar interests)

the thing that confuses me most is that INFP it's description seems like it would be the LEAST likely of all the types to be an 8.

PS: I have to admit though, almost all of the enneagram descriptions make one seem to go "Oh dear! I hope I'm not that!" the descriptions seem to bring out the negative far more than the positive.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
actually, I'm going to move this to a blog. :yes:

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I think being a healthy ENFP e8, could seriously have some major benefits... I do agree that enneagram lists a lot of negative stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff in every type as well... personally type 9, good and bad, fits me to a T, doesnt all fit me right NOW but fits what ive been in the past and what I am now, the levels where definitely helpful in determining my type for sure as well..., If 8 just doesnt really feel right to you, then it may not be.

B

brainheart

I have a friend who's an ENFP 8w9. For the longest time she thought she was an INFP; in other words, she's not overly extroverted. You must be reading the same enneagram descriptions for 8 that also claim 5s are unfeeling evil scientists. I fully agree with you about the 8 vs 1. I think my mom is an 8w7 ENFP. For a while I thought she was a 1 because she is really into her causes, defending the weak and helpless, etc, but it is a very different energy than the 1. She is boisterous and fun and freely shows her anger; my father, the 1, is very proper and reserved. I know that I get more 8 than 1 as well when I am defending those who need defense- it is very physical feeling vs principle-based. Instinctual mother bear defending her cubs sort of thing.

It would seem to me, however, that INFP 8s and 1s are unlikely. More likely would be that they are either ENFP 8s or INFJ 1s. Or they are INFP 4s integrating to 1 or INFP 5s integrating to 8.

EDIT: (Or the obvious 9w1/9w8 which I totally overlooked.)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
PS: I have to admit though, almost all of the enneagram descriptions make one seem to go "Oh dear! I hope I'm not that!" the descriptions seem to bring out the negative far more than the positive.

Well, the enneagram is mostly about one's habitually used, instinctive psychological defenses. While one developed those defenses for a reason, they become so ingrained that one uses them by reflex—merely reacting rather than choosing. The idea is that with knowledge of one's defenses (and perhaps a mindfulness practice), one can learn to choose when to engage those defenses. Otherwise, they tend to be an impediment, triggering at inappropriate times and preventing any real growth or intimacy.

So, the descriptions are really about the negative, and rightly so. If the description of the negative aspects of one's enneatype doesn't make one feel a bit queasy and disgusted, then I'd be dubious that it's the right type. In fact, I would tend to pay attention to the type that that triggers a thought of "please, dear God, let THIS one not be my type."

(BTW, I'm not arguing that you aren't an 8... just that if you only identify with the positive aspects of an enneagram type, then that bears further investigation)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the enneagram is mostly about one's habitually used, instinctive psychological defenses. While one developed those defenses for a reason, they become so ingrained that one uses them by reflex—merely reacting rather than choosing. The idea is that with knowledge of one's defenses (and perhaps a mindfulness practice), one can learn to choose when to engage those defenses. Otherwise, they tend to be an impediment, triggering at inappropriate times and preventing any real growth or intimacy.

So, the descriptions are really about the negative, and rightly so. If the description of the negative aspects of one's enneatype doesn't make one feel a bit queasy and disgusted, then I'd be dubious that it's the right type. In fact, I would tend to pay attention to the type that that triggers a thought of "please, dear God, let THIS one not be my type."

(BTW, I'm not arguing that you aren't an 8... just that if you only identify with the positive aspects of an enneagram type, then that bears further investigation)

I agree with all of this

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd think being an INFP and an 8 would be pretty exhausting, since one would be pulled in opposite directions a lot. It would also make getting a handle on one's coping mechanisms more of a priority than for those whose types naturally reinforce one another, I'd think.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd think being an INFP and an 8 would be pretty exhausting, since one would be pulled in opposite directions a lot. It would also make getting a handle on one's coping mechanisms more of a priority than for those whose types naturally reinforce one another, I'd think.

you can check out my blog post if you like. it talks a lot about that :)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually Elfboy, from your posting style and personal demeanor, you come across as a fairly extraverted person (and lets not forget that ENFP's in general are the least extraverted extraverts). Perhaps your not aware of how extraverted you really are?

Oh cool, you got a blog. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually Elfboy, from your posting style and personal demeanor, you come across as a fairly extraverted person (and lets not forget that ENFP's in general are the least extraverted extraverts). Perhaps your not aware of how extraverted you really are?

Oh cool, you got a blog. :)

right now I alternate I/E depending on my environment. as a kid though, I was introverted as hell until age 13 or 14 and my 8-ishness was much more subtle

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lets not forget though, that type isn't set in stone during childhood, and shyness can easily be mistaken for introversion (I know this from experience).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lets not forget though, that type isn't set in stone during childhood, and shyness can easily be mistaken for introversion (I know this from experience).

actually MBTI is set in stone extremely early and introversion/extroversion even eariler. your 1st function begins to really develop around at age 7 and your second around 12 or 13. one's mbti type is set around 15-17.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Elfboy
actually MBTI is set in stone extremely early and introversion/extroversion even eariler. your 1st function begins to really develop around at age 7 and your second around 12 or 13. one's mbti type is set around 15-17.

Actually, I have been entertaining the notion that functions can be conciously manipulated, so that one could concivably alter ones type through traiining and using different functions. So for me, the idea of a personlity completely set in stone and unchangable seems absurd, but that's just my theory on the matter.

Chloe

i saay fuck descriptions, motivations are important. you are most likely an 8.

INFP 8 is quite common (after the most common combinations for INFP, of course).

Read "Sytpg"s post, or he changed his nickname bofore leaving, cant remember, Moeity maybe. He was ENFP-8, but some said INFP.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i saay fuck descriptions, motivations are important. you are most likely an 8.
INFP 8 is quite common (after the most common combinations for INFP, of course).

Read "Sytpg"s post, or he changed his nickname bofore leaving, cant remember, Moeity maybe. He was ENFP-8, but some said INFP.

seriously. case in point, yourself. all the descriptions of type 3 I've read are terrible. they make them sound shallow, heartless, arrogant and manipulative, but you're obviously very insightful and introspective and I don't see any ego in your posts

KDude

No INFP 8's. You need to be consistently in that mode to be 8. And Fi doesn't always push outwards. It's more inclined to communicate it's views with Ne. When INFP does get kind of 8, it's like some over-the-edge kind of thing. They're only going to make that push when it's of great importance (in it's mind) rather than everyday concerns like it'd be in an 8. If someone had that much desire to regulate, they're probably extroverts.

B

brainheart

No INFP 8's. You need to be consistently in that mode to be 8. And Fi doesn't always push outwards. It's more inclined to communicate it's views with Ne. When INFP does get kind of 8, it's like some over-the-edge kind of thing. They're only going to make that push when it's of great importance (in it's mind) rather than everyday concerns like it'd be in an 8. If someone had that much desire to regulate, they're probably extroverts.

+1

It reminds me of my INFP friend who insists she's a 3. I have never seen her be remotely 3-ish. I'd say she's a 9 who's had three moments. It's easy to think of those 3 (or in my case 8) moments as being 'you', because that's probably when you were on top of your game, when you seemingly had it together, but that's the exception, not the rule. My struggles aren't 8 struggles, just as her struggles aren't 3 struggles.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
+1

It reminds me of my INFP friend who insists she's a 3. I have never seen her be remotely 3-ish. I'd say she's a 9 who's had three moments. It's easy to think of those 3 (or in my case 8) moments as being 'you', because that's probably when you were on top of your game, when you seemingly had it together, but that's the exception, not the rule. My struggles aren't 8 struggles, just as her struggles aren't 3 struggles.

just because you don't have 8 struggles doesn't mean other INFPs couldn't. for instance, there are a number of ISFP 8s, same dominant function

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

you clearly have little understanding of type 8 (as do most people who aren't 8s)
- I am constantly 8, but that doesn't mean I go bossing people around all day. lol 8s are bossy when (or when they preceive) people are their way. if you are in an 8s way, they are going to remove you.
- 8 is not about regulation. 8 is about minimizing restraints on oneself and . regulation is what unhealthy 8s do in an attempt at a "I need to control my environment so it doesn't control me" mentality. the basic need is freedom and control over YOUR domain, not other peoples'. problems occur when 8s don't know what their domain is.
- actually, a lot of 8s, self included absolutely HATE controlling other people and get pissed off as hell when other people are controlling
- 8s are adamant about what they care about, but not about things they don't care about
- any MBTI type can be any Enneatype. there is no direct correlation between cognition and motivation/fear.
- if you really want an 8 to like you, just leave them alone and let them do their thing. that's when they're trully happy, not from bossing people around all day

Chloe

+1

I can not comment on your friend because obviously I dont know her but if her struggles arent 3-ish of course she isnt 3, but if she insist she is I believe in her judgement and probably you have a picture of what are 3s like in your head that is just what it is - in ur head.

9 and 3 look soooo different that its mostly only possible to mistype as 9 if you are disintegrated 3, than mistype as 3.
If someone identifies as a 3 he most likely is bc its self-deceitful type and if 3 opens her eyes enough to see herself in 3, she started the honest route

My siser who is ESTJ-3 just recenly, after a yr of making fun of my hobby grew fascination into ennagram and sees herself in 3, which she didnt while she ignored her self deception