• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] HELP from Ones! How to convince One to "break" her rules?

Chloe

HI,

so I have this professor who is very strict and follows rules by the book. He is Pychology Statistics professor.
He is definite 1, and probably IxTJ, not sure s/n, but since it's psychology more likely INTJ, right :/

anyway. I need to convince him to let me take his class. By University rules he can, but since I am not Psychology major, he wouldnt. Its not about classes previously taken, I have pre-requisits. It's about his rules.
He let people do the same 2 yrs ago. (should i mention this to him? .... my One friend says i shouldnt).
i am verrrrry good in math thing so i dont know should i try to mention this (my One friend says NO).

So, how should I approach him?
I asked my INFJ 1w9 friend, she said I should ask him simply, honestly, to "give me a chance" and say how I had many family problems and blahblah (which is true), so I dont wanna lose another year (in Europe, I'll lose this yr if i dont take that class. )

so... any suggestions ?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These are some ideas:
- Give him a simple and honest explanation as to what you are asking for and why it is important
- Explain to him why you are so interested in taking the course; explain your passion for the two areas - psychology and statistics/math
- Let him know what grades you have had in math/statistics in the past
- If you have an example of a precedent, where somebody else has done this before, you can raise that (why did your friend say not to do it though? was there a good reason? is it a sore spot or something? )
- If you can give him a genuine compliment - include that as part of your reasoning (e.g. x person really enjoyed your class)
- You can always just use your charm - you are an ENFP - is that right?? If he is really an INTJ, he might be a sucker for it. But if he is a strict rule follower, he might be a an ISTJ.

Chloe

thanks Highlander,

your advices are more in line with what i thought, but... i think 1s think differently. Like my friend said..." you should be very humble, so no mentioning how he already allowed people do that, how you have rights... nothing that indicates he broke some rules, because he will feel criticized then and you will even more be a sinner in his eyes" :D haha,... and. .. said i should simply claim my "guilt" sins, roflmao.

well 1s are one of the people who i least understand. even though i have some 1-ish moments... but so moral-istic. i cant imagine being like that. it must be so........ different ?!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well, the fact that an exception has been made before - there had to be a good reason. there is an issue of consistency. if he is a rule follower, how can he give someone else an exception in a similar experience and not you? humility is of course good - you don't want to come across like you have "rights" - if you were talking to a catholic priest maybe some of these tactics would work - i don't know; what guilt or sin have you even had?

cultures are different in different countries. maybe that is part of it

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let me ask.

How were you not able to get into the class.
Is the psychology class for psychology majors only?
Are there other students wanting to get into the class also?
Are these students psychology majors/minors or a major that requires this class?
How far into the instruction is the professor?
Is the class full/packed?

As a whole, there is paperwork to be done to allow other/new students into the course. Special instructions that may continue the class after the semester has ended based on the late the student got into the class. Not to mention whether you (or another student) is able to stick through it until the ending (it is horrible to be instructing a student that gets special treatment only to find out they really want out somewhere along the semester.)

anyway. I need to convince him to let me take his class. By University rules he can, but since I am not Psychology major, he wouldnt. Its not about classes previously taken, I have pre-requisits. It's about his rules.
He let people do the same 2 yrs ago. (should i mention this to him? .... my One friend says i shouldnt).
i am verrrrry good in math thing so i dont know should i try to mention this (my One friend says NO).

So, how should I approach him?
I asked my INFJ 1w9 friend, she said I should ask him simply, honestly, to "give me a chance" and say how I had many family problems and blahblah (which is true), so I dont wanna lose another year (in Europe, I'll lose this yr if i dont take that class. )

so... any suggestions ?

Like your INFJ, don't mention that other students have been able to get in. This is about you, not those students. The question is why you should be allowed in, not you should be allowed in because others were.

Like your INFJ friend, so what if you are good in math?

And just like your INFJ friend, the best route is just tell him to allow you the chance. Show him that he won't regret letting you in. If he doesn't allow you in, then he doesn't allow you in.

Chloe

It simply works differently in Europe to understand. In short: we dont take classes from other faculties (so if you are Sociology student, you can only take sociology. that's .... tradition). Rules on the other hand, say, that if professor agrees you can take it.
How were you not able to get into the class.
Is the psychology class for psychology majors only?No. 2 yrs ago there were Sociologyst taking it. its only up to professors decision. and he says its for psy-only
Are there other students wanting to get into the class also?NO. only me. it's not traditional here to try something like that. if you for example want to switch from being English student to Psych student, you just need to wait a whole year and then take classes ONLY from psych. But i dont like tradition, you see.. :)
Are these students psychology majors/minors or a major that requires this class?didnt und question. but if there are pre-req for this class, i have them (i already took few psych classes, but this prof is my only obstacle not to lose complete year
How far into the instruction is the professor?huh? it is starting next week
Is the class full/packed?again didnt understand the Q LOL. but.. .he says there is limit, but he said also that "you can always as citizen come to classes and listen, unofficially. (because it's state's university. so its not about space/seats lol.

As a whole, there is paperwork to be done to allow other/new students into the course. Special instructions that may continue the class after the semester has ended based on the late the student got into the class. Not to mention whether you (or another student) is able to stick through it until the ending (it is horrible to be instructing a student that gets special treatment only to find out they really want out somewhere along the semester.)
huh? well. semester starts in a week here in europe :) we have different system. i already took many classes like this, not much paper work, only when i am going to EXAM of this class, i need extra paper which professor signs, and university signs. It's not about paperwork, in short

Like your INFJ, don't mention that other students have been able to get in. This is about you, not those students. The question is why you should be allowed in, not you should be allowed in because others were.haha, this i dont understand - why someone should and others shouldnt ?
well, i can say to him i have a big wish to know statistics lol.

Like your INFJ friend, so what if you are good in math?well.. some professors like this part a lot, are you really surprised ? ! it opened many doors so far. but not the right ones.

And just like your INFJ friend, the best route is just tell him to allow you the chance. Show him that he won't regret letting you in. If he doesn't allow you in, then he doesn't allow you in.

well how do i show him ? this is why i was thinking about math, because his class is difficult, about 40% fail it, so i was thinking that me being talented can help,.. but i wouldnt mention it, just thinking ... but how do i show him he wont regret... :/

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It simply works differently in Europe to understand. In short: we dont take classes from other faculties (so if you are Sociology student, you can only take sociology. that's .... tradition). Rules on the other hand, say, that if professor agrees you can take it.

well how do i show him ? this is why i was thinking about math, because his class is difficult, about 40% fail it, so i was thinking that me being talented can help,.. but i wouldnt mention it, just thinking ... but how do i show him he wont regret... :/

Ok, I am not that well rounded when it comes to European colleges.

What I mean if it is fulled or packed is whether the classes has enlisted the maximum amount of people it can hold (e.g. a class of 30 can only accept 30 students.) Many professors will not allow any more students beyond that amount because it makes instructions a pain.

You could probably tell him you are willing to attend the class even though you aren't in the class, but it would be so much better if you were actually in the class. Most professors like a student that is eager to learn... or at least that is what I've been told >.>...

Chloe

He said YES!!! i was so happy! It means graduating one yr earlier, msans a WORLD to me (I am enneagram 3, i read somewhere "there is nothing more tragical than unsuccessful Three" - and unfortunately based on my own experinece, few yrs being in the wrong school (Medicine) it is true. I was so miserable bc was unsuccessful)...... Well thats great. 20 different ppl told me there s no chance he will agree. Even his boss told me NO CHANCE he will say yes. Last year he said no tO girl who had my situation... This is excellent! Finally so something good in my career!

Thanks guyz for relpies!:*

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He said YES!!! i was so happy! It means graduating one yr earlier, msans a WORLD to me (I am enneagram 3, i read somewhere "there is nothing more tragical than unsuccessful Three" - and unfortunately based on my own experinece, few yrs being in the wrong school (Medicine) it is true. I was so miserable bc was unsuccessful)...... Well thats great. 20 different ppl told me there s no chance he will agree. Even his boss told me NO CHANCE he will say yes. Last year he said no tO girl who had my situation... This is excellent! Finally so something good in my career!

Thanks guyz for relpies!:*

Nice, so what did you do to him to get in? :)

Chloe

Nothing much! I didnt even need to manipulate, he just allowed lol....! Hehe maybe my mantring positive thoughts last few days was a winner. I was using Louise Hay's ideas and chanting to myself "you are taking statistics class next week" - all like it already happened. Forced myself to send positive vibes to the Universe

LOL:)

Chloe

Nothing much! I didnt even need to manipulate, he just allowed lol....! Hehe maybe my mantring positive thoughts last few days was a winner. I was using Louise Hay's ideas and chanting to myself "you are taking statistics class next week" - all like it already happened. Forced myself to send positive vibes to the Universe

LOL:)