• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Looking for 4w5 sx/so examples

B

brainheart

Anyone got any? I always hear about how sx/so is supposed to be this really extroverted type, but it seems to be mine and I am very much an introvert. Thing is, when I do talk, I have a tendency to provoke, play the devil's advocate, etc. I definitely am a button-pusher. So I'm looking for examples, please. I imagine them to look like some sort of Fiona Apple/Conor Oberst hybrid.

Thanks for the help! :)

B

brainheart

Actually, how is this not 4w5 sx/so?

sx/so
This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy. They may identify so strongly with whatever they're involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change. Hardly content with the status quo, this subvariant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it's purest or most extreme form. Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries. They enjoy pushing other's buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression. It's not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they're able to support with heartfelt conviction. May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it. While prone to exhibitionism, they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability. Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this subvariant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.
Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.
Familiar roles: provocateur, activist, exhibitionish

Last edited:

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Marlon Brando and Heath Ledger (?)

B

brainheart

yeah, i can totally see brando-

Although I would never flirt so openly like that... :blush:

The_World_As_Will

Not a 4w5 but a 5w4 sx/so, ha I can relate to the whole wanting to pusch people's buttons ah.. good times and so many enemies but I think the energy maybe a bit more subdued for us introvertes. I think 4w5/5w4's cross-over alot in terms of ideas etc, both are extremely eccentric. Here's my favourite 5w4 sx/so of all time, Bill Hicks :D ah I wonder if the overarching morbidity is an sx/so thing? maybe a 4/5-5/4 thing?.

[YOUTUBE="qdluglmE2Cs"]Bill Hicks[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE="H_yFprgXIF4"]Bill and a Heckler[/YOUTUBE]

^ :rofl1: yeah given Bill's personality, clearly he was an INTP 5w4 (Carlin being an ENTP, not sure of the enneatype and stacking, maybe a 7 with 5 integration) idk about stacking), I have a theory that being an sx/so in the case with 5w4's, it's something i've noticed with bill, and with myself, that there is closer connection with type 8, maybe due to integration?, but I've noticed alot of mental aggression, especially when criticised, we become hyper-sensitive, and sort of rever to this 'why do I have to deal with these FUCKING IDIOTS!" mode, it's very aggressive, though I don't think fives would act out on such aggressive tendencies, I certainly wouldn't... though violent revenge fantasies are pretty neat...

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are a few examples of 4w5/5w4 Sx/So

[youtube=IasOkulcDQk]Yukio Mishima 4w5 Sx/So[/youtube]
[youtube=Jh6TutaQ6sA]Heath Ledger 4w5 Sx/So[/youtube]

[youtube=iREKEWdjAUU]John Lennon 5w4 Sx/So[/youtube]
[youtube=8msBBzkJn_E]Patti Smith 5w4 Sx/So[/youtube]

Marlon Brando was a 4w5 Sx/Sp

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not a 4w5 but a 5w4 sx/so, ha I can relate to the whole wanting to pusch people's buttons ah.. good times and so many enemies but I think the energy maybe a bit more subdued for us introvertes. I think 4w5/5w4's cross-over alot in terms of ideas etc, both are extremely eccentric. Here's my favourite 5w4 sx/so of all time, Bill Hicks :D ah I wonder if the overarching morbidity is an sx/so thing? maybe a 4/5-5/4 thing?.

[YOUTUBE="qdluglmE2Cs"]Bill Hicks[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE="H_yFprgXIF4"]Bill and a Heckler[/YOUTUBE]

^ :rofl1: yeah given Bill's personality, clearly he was an INTP 5w4 (Carlin being an ENTP, not sure of the enneatype and stacking, maybe a 7 with 5 integration) idk about stacking), I have a theory that being an sx/so in the case with 5w4's, it's something i've noticed with bill, and with myself, that there is closer connection with type 8, maybe due to integration?, but I've noticed alot of mental aggression, especially when criticised, we become hyper-sensitive, and sort of rever to this 'why do I have to deal with these FUCKING IDIOTS!" mode, it's very aggressive, though I don't think fives would act out on such aggressive tendencies, I certainly wouldn't... though violent revenge fantasies are pretty neat...

I always saw Hicks as an ENFP, probably 7w8.

The_World_As_Will

I always saw Hicks as an ENFP, probably 7w8.

Eh I really can't see bill as a 7w8 at all, just really can't, nor as an ENFP, below is an interview he did after he recorded the first half of Rant in E minor, I think in his skits there is alot of Ti-Ne interplay, which is plus there is this 4 need to be unique, combined with a 5's detachment as well as a bit of superiority that can be seen with 5w4's (yeah sorry guys but it's there). I think his use of Ne and his use of hallucinogens add to this this rather idiosyncratic vision of the world, lol speak with any 5w4 and you'll see something rather similar, either this extreme or the other which is morbid nihilism. oh, and his entire skits, like Carlin, focus on things not logically making sense, Ti-Ne (Bill) and Ne-Ti (Carlin), and I don't, as an INTP myself, don't think Ti is this sort of rigid precision that doesn't allow for any time of social commentary, and we're all sort of bound to do mathematics or something. But eh, I'm sure people will disagree with what i've said here... oh well

Here's the interview

[YOUTUBE="GdN_LGGQ4lk"]Interview[/YOUTUBE]

and a rather short documentary about his life, though with this one, it clearly shows how much of a w4 he was, playing with finding an image and whatnot... relatable [YOUTUBE="hAnjWHP7KAc"] Love the morbidity[/YOUTUBE]

this works as well, though it's sort of like a trailer

[YOUTUBE="GNQ3wsugTiE"].[/YOUTUBE]

B

brainheart

Wow, thanks for all the examples of a 5w4sx/so... :huh:

No, yeah I think there are a lot of similarities between 4w5s and 5w4s... actually have a 4w5 INFP teenage male friend who LOVES Bill Hicks. I mention his teenage male INFP qualifiers because I think teenage male INFPs can often seem 5w4 INTP-ish. It's hard being a sensitive guy... We actually started chatting on an INTP forum, way back when we both thought we were INTP 5w4s, so I guess it isn't just teenage male INFPs...
:doh:

I think you notice the differences between 4w5 and 5w4 especially in the areas of integration and disintegration- for example, I can get very self-righteous and people suck, but it tends to be about 1-ish things. A good example: one new year's eve I'm in an elevator at this twenty-something yuppie very white apartment building, which right away sets me on edge, and some dumb drunk chick spills her drink, giggles and says, "Oh that's all right, Consuela or Juanita or whoever will clean it up." Holy crap did I let her have it. Right among all of these drunk revelers I completely tore her apart (much like Bill Hicks with the heckler). It's like I get this 8 energy directed toward 1 causes, and I can't help myself. (Also see my Conor Oberst clip. "I'll use their logic on you: A vote for Bush and you're goin' to hell..." :rofl1:) But... as opposed to the Bill Hicks blatant vulgarity, I think 4w5s tend to be a bit more refined about it, also. As my husband says when he's irritated by me, "You think you are so much better than everyone else." He does have a point.

Heath Ledger... wow, what a sweetheart. Definitely relate to the excitement about researching his roles, and how he starts off basically interviewing the interviewer. I love interviewing people but I hate being asked about myself. This has caused problems with psychiatrists and therapists for me. Sure, let's talk psychiatry, but don't ask me to share deep things about my feelings with you. I'd much rather have that come out in my art...

Shades of X

Enneagram
5w4
brainheart said:
No, yeah I think there are a lot of similarities between 4w5s and 5w4s..
The fundamental conflict of 4w5 sx/so's is that of 5w4 sx/so's, just from a slightly different angle. Both types have a strong drive to push outward with their energy which conflicts with the 5 tendency to withdraw by conceptualizing and the 4 tendency to withdraw into their emotions and differentiate themselves from the mundane world around them. 5w4's and 4w5's experience both these tendendencies and the frustrating push-pull effect that insues, the balance is just a little different.

Sure said:
I think 4w5's and 5w4's are both especially drawn to art cuz it mediates the desire towards outward expression, emotional intensity, etc. and the desire to withdraw. With art, you can express yourself forcefully, conceptualize, retreat into your emotions, etc. all at once.

I think you notice the differences between 4w5 and 5w4 especially in the areas of integration and disintegration- for example, I can get very self-righteous and people suck, but it tends to be about 1-ish things. A good example: one new year's eve I'm in an elevator at this twenty-something yuppie very white apartment building, which right away sets me on edge, and some dumb drunk chick spills her drink, giggles and says, "Oh that's all right, Consuela or Juanita or whoever will clean it up." Right among all of these drunk revelers I completely tore her apart (much like Bill Hicks with the heckler).
That's fucked up, good for you for letting her have it. I don't think it's a good example of enneagram differences, though, because a lot of people's first impulse in that situation would probably be the same thing, regardless of type.

B

brainheart

That's fucked up, good for you for letting her have it. I don't think it's a good example of enneagram differences, though, because a lot of people's first impulse in that situation would probably be the same thing, regardless of type.

You can say that, but everyone in the elevator (including my husband) was completely shocked by my behavior.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*raises hand*

I might be one.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can say that, but everyone in the elevator (including my husband) was completely shocked by my behavior.

Haha, I just found this and had to comment because I've totally done similar things. Afterwards, everyone just stares at me or tries to change the subject! My Mom would always scold me quietly but incredulously with just my name. I'm definitely less a ticking time bomb than I used to be, but I still tend to speak up in those moments.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, I just found this and had to comment because I've totally done similar things. Afterwards, everyone just stares at me or tries to change the subject! My Mom would always scold me quietly but incredulously with just my name. I'm definitely less a ticking time bomb than I used to be, but I still tend to speak up in those moments.
This pushes the thread topic, but I've been wanting to ask this directly for a while.

I am not sx, and would speak up this way to a very close, small core of people, but not express such outside of it. But for the record, I believe it's better to say something and dislike my inhibition - thus, in a healthier state, I might get over it.

The point is that someone can have a social/intimate split in what and when they express themselves, or not have one so much (the time bomb goes off when it goes off). Can struggling with such a split or not be part of instinctual variant differences, or is it more likely due to some other functional difference or wing? If it's not a variant thing, what could it be? Is it even possible to be a type 4 if one is shy of some contexts and not others in this way?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
This pushes the thread topic, but I've been wanting to ask this directly for a while.

I am not sx, and would speak up this way to a very close, small core of people, but not express such outside of it. But for the record, I believe it's better to say something and dislike my inhibition - thus, in a healthier state, I might get over it.

The point is that someone can have a social/intimate split in what and when they express themselves, or not have one so much (the time bomb goes off when it goes off). Can struggling with such a split or not be part of instinctual variant differences, or is it more likely due to some other functional difference or wing? If it's not a variant thing, what could it be? Is it even possible to be a type 4 if one is shy of some contexts and not others in this way?

Generalised anxiety is a 6 trait, not a 4 trait. I would be suspicious of a 4 who complained about being generally shy (as opposed to socially, and any situations associated with a past trauma).

I also find it hard to envision how some with an sx/so/sp stacking could be sufficiently withdrawn to exhibit core 4w5 traits, as opposed to a fix, and would assume that they have mistaken either their Enneatype or stacking. 5, like 4, is a withdrawn type, which kind of weighs against the probably of sp last. Your sx/so 4 (still a rare beast, lol) would be a 4w3 with a strong 7 or 8 fix.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also find it hard to envision how some with an sx/so/sp stacking could be sufficiently withdrawn to exhibit core 4w5 traits, as opposed to a fix, and would assume that they have mistaken either their Enneatype or stacking. 5, like 4, is a withdrawn type, which kind of weighs against the probably of sp last. Your sx/so 4 (still a rare beast, lol) would be a 4w3 with a strong 7 or 8 fix.

I believe every core, tritype, instinctual variant combo exists. Anything less would illustrate a humanity that fits in a neat box, which is absolutely not the case. This is one of the reasons I value the Enneagram, it's exhaustive nature in allowing for the slight variety that very much exists from one personality to another. Even close matches to me, someone like [MENTION=22480]brainheart[/MENTION] or [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] as examples, are still varied slightly from me-- which makes sense. How could we not be slightly varied for having completely different sets of experience and exposure to people and events?

To say the possibility of an Sx/So 4w5 of any tritype does not exist is foolish, as each aspect measures a different element of personality (not to mention all of the Enneagram scholars acknowledge the possible combination of any core/wing and instinctual variant, yes even a 4w5 Sx/So).

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, I've done it with friends or family, but also in classrooms, restaurants, the middle of hallways, coffee shops-- wherever I've felt that way. I'll explain more further down.

I may be totally missing what you are asking, so feel free to clarify if I miss the mark. I think struggling with that "social/intimate split" (as you put it) is the definition of Sx-last. My emotional/intellectual expression as an Sx-first 4w5 has an almost involuntary way of manifesting when it wants to-- in the moment, it doesn't really consider others or my own shame (which is why Sx 4 is called "shameless" at times). Self control is a discipline I've had to invest in the healthier I've become, to channel that energy and use it for good.

But back to the topic at hand: your hesitation to speak up about something that bothers you in social settings is completely characteristic of 4 minus Sx, which equals unbuffered shame. 4 is full of shame, which I suspect is what keeps you from speaking in those moments. It has everything to do with instinctual variants. As Sp/So you are the 4 that is long suffering to a point but sometimes suffers vocally. You feel an obligation to bite your tongue, put your head down and just deal with it-- you suffer stoically and attemp to pull yourself up by your boot straps. Your So auxiliary would still color that picture with longing for greater social connection and vocally bemoaning it's lack at times. Sx=a draw to and comfort with intensity, and in some ways being overly intense (and "making others suffer" in the case of Sx 4). Some 4 (can't remember who) on the forum attributed Sx-first folks to junkies-- intensity junkies, which is why I trigger and speak up in situations in which I am provoked. I can't not engage with intensity...or it's a struggle anyway.

I have to clarify one thing, I do think its normal to be comfortable with some situations and not others. Especially for us as 4's, intimate interaction is so much more comfortable and filling than the greater social sea-- I would dare say that no 4 would prefer the shallow interaction of a crowd to a group of a few close friends (and find more comfort and freedom there). My comfort with intensity and responding to it does not equal comfort with the social sphere. I'm still quite a loaner there, aside from those I know well-- the one on one is where I'm most alive and myself. I think that's part of it too. These public conflicts I've gotten into are always with an individual (I'm not engaging a crowd). I can be in a room full of people but still tunnel vision an intense exchange with a single person (positive or negative).

Does that shed any light? Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks! I feel compelled to spoiler my reply because it runs more personal about sx-last than I'm comfortable occupying the full page space with in an sx/so thread, though it may be of relevance as a comparison to sx.

On sx/so 4w5, I don't have examples but can imagine the type and believe that any variant on a core is possible. However, I do suspect some variants will show up more often than others in types with traits that they reinforce. So, while an sp-last 4w5 is possible, I don't expect there to be as many of them as the other variants among 4w5s. However, sx-first in general may be more frequent in 4s than it would be among other cores.