• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Signs You're a Type 4

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You build or conceptualize novel identities among people you don't know (and would like to get to know). :wubbie:

Lotr246

You're uncomfortable when someone else in your immediate reality looks or acts like you, but fictional characters that are like you are welcome.

If you relate to this description of James Dean in this clip, starting at 1:55-3:50. Also, it nails the process of integration at 8:40:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're uncomfortable when someone else in your immediate reality looks or acts like you....

It's even worse when they COPY you.

There's this 18 year old ISFJ e9 girl at my church who totally steals my style. At first I dismissed it, telling myself I'm not that original & it's just coincidence, but every single time I'd try a new look, there'd she be a few weeks later, doing the same thing. Her eyes totally "devour" everything I wear too (it's like I can SEE her making mental notes as she studies my appearance), so that I can safely say she is outright copying me :dry:. The biggest irritation is that she has more expendable income than me, so while I have to "reinvent" & even alter thrift store finds or old clothes of my own, she just goes & buys some replica at the mall. :mad:

I'm supposed to be "flattered" by this, but I can't help being a bit annoyed.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's even worse when they COPY you.

There's this 18 year old ISFJ e9 girl at my church who totally steals my style. At first I dismissed it, telling myself I'm not that original & it's just coincidence, but every single time I'd try a new look, there'd she be a few weeks later, doing the same thing. Her eyes totally "devour" everything I wear too (it's like I can SEE her making mental notes as she studies my appearance), so that I can safely say she is outright copying me :dry:. The biggest irritation is that she has more expendable income than me, so while I have to "reinvent" & even alter thrift store finds or old clothes of my own, she just goes & buys some replica at the mall. :mad:

I'm supposed to be "flattered" by this, but I can't help being a bit annoyed.
Well that's crappy. :( Perhaps one of these days you'll be able to get a clock radio, metaphorically speaking that is.

Borat: "He is my neighbor Nursultan Tuliagby. He is pain in my assholes. I get a window from a glass, he must get a window from a glass. I get a step, he must get a step. I get a clock radio; he cannot afford. Great success!" :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well that's crappy. :( Perhaps one of these days you'll be able to get a clock radio, metaphorically speaking that is.

Borat: "He is my neighbor Nursultan Tuliagby. He is pain in my assholes. I get a window from a glass, he must get a window from a glass. I get a step, he must get a step. I get a clock radio; he cannot afford. Great success!" :D

:D

She's a sweet girl, and I don't dislike her. I get comfort in knowing that I did it first & have the natural eye for aesthetics she has to plagiarize :cool: .

B

brainheart

I don't think anyone has ever copied my style. I don't know, I don't think I have much of a style. I'll get compliments sometimes but I will go for days where I don't give my appearance much thought. Maybe you can blame it on a lifetime of school uniforms and the fact that I work from home. Although I did sew all of my clothes age 12-15, and I do buy everything at thrift stores- when I do have to shop I like to go to a place where everything is singular, not racks of the exact same thing in assorted sizes. I find going to regular stores depressing and unbearable; thrift stores are more of an adventure.

How I dress is definitely a barometer of my mood, though. If I'm feeling attractive and somewhat happy/energetic, I definitely put in more effort. If I'm more withdrawn and depressed I barely look at myself in the mirror and throw on whatever's on the floor. I think this might be the sx/sp at play. I'm super inconsistent like that. I can see a sp/sx like [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] being more consistent appearance-wise. I think personal style is more important to self-pres fours. For me it's more about my moods and getting completely enveloped by them. I read somewhere the description of self pres fours being artisans and sexual fours as dramatists. This strikes me as very right on. I'm essentially a method actor in everything I do.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
-you have to be the most unique one in the room
-you feel that no one understands you
-you get all of your clothes from "Hot Topic".

B

brainheart

-you have to be the most unique one in the room
-you feel that no one understands you
-you get all of your clothes from "Hot Topic".

Hot Topic? How on earth would that make you the most unique? My guess is you aren't a four...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Wow it looks like no one got the "Hot Topic" joke, lmao

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh man... after reading this thread, now I think I'm a 4 again. But I also am extremely 1-like, 8-like, 3-like, and 5-like! Eh, I'll just stick with my current order of things and say that even though I'm more like a 1, 8, 3, or 5 than a 4, I am still extremely 4-like.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
...when:

- you swing between arrogance and insecurity; between pretension and self-deprecation
- you tend to get mocked for being too earnest and over-analysing everything (at least until you work out it's better to keep your mouth shut!)
- you can somehow manage to be both an intense cynic and a fervent idealist
- you are filled with so much self-awareness and a compulsion to dissect everything, that have no idea how to just "be in the moment"
- you over-indulge in the use of sarcasm :whistling:

My GOD Southern Kross. How CAN it be possible to be so insightful!! That is absolutely superb.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
This 4ness is getting to me tonight. Here are a few thoughts based on my own experiences about traits which may or may not be due to 4ness:
- Considers the self-awareness journey and the faith journey as two arms of the same path
- Never tires of the beauty of the natural world
- Considers the abstract to be a genuine part of nature
- Opens one's inner self to others to the point of naivety
- Has difficulty in answering polar opposite questions such as: am I talented person who has not made best use of his gifts; or a person of modest talent who has?
- A failed relationship is a huge, huge disaster which can take years to get over, especially if the other person wipes you completely.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- You make others miserable when you're miserable and then try to make them happy
- You find ways to consistently sabotage relationships over and over again even though they are extremely important to you
- No matter what happens in a soured relationship it always feels mostly your own fault
- You oscillate between self-love and self-hate .. but mostly self-hate
- You cannot do anything unless you're in the right mood .. even though you know that you shouldn't wait for the right mood and just chug through, but you still do.
- You are already self-aware that your own poor sleeping/eating habits are contributing to your ill moods and yet fail to act to make the change because you're waiting to be in the right emotional state to be in to make that change
- You want to love the world and everything that resides within and yet you can't love yourself.
- When hating yourself is acceptable, but being hated by someone else isn't.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're french so in France. ;D
They're sitting in a cafe in Rive Gauche gazing wistfully into some distant landscape that unfolds only to them amids the early morning hustle and bustle of Parisians going to work, with a worn copy of Rimbauds Fleurs Du Mal resting on the wrought iron table beside their steaming espresso, and they think "I love being a misunderstood french 4". :D

Not Rive Gauche-- Montmartre! Montmartre is where my soul belongs.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- you don't care about impressing others, but you want to express yourself
- others have called you self absorbed and dramatic
- you hate doing all the fruitless, ungalamorous labor that most people seem to spend 60% of their life doing
- you have an almost complete inability to do something you're not interested in
- you are disgusted when someone asks you to "fit in"
- when wearing any kind of uniform for school, work or any kind of activity, you find subtle ways to distinguish yourself by messing with it to make it look better
- you either dress with complete apathy or do a 180 and look like your own version of a glamorous celebrity
- you are disgusted by anyone who is fake, emotionally dishonest or people pleasing
- you really don't care about other people at all except on an ethical level, with the exception of a few close friends
- you frequently fight the urge to talk about yourself and encourage others to talk about themselves more

These are good. *nod nod*
One of my most traumatic childhood memories is my mother suggesting I become a cheerleader. A CHEERLEADER?! *throws self across bed, sobbing*

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- You make others miserable when you're miserable and then try to make them happy
- You find ways to consistently sabotage relationships over and over again even though they are extremely important to you
- No matter what happens in a soured relationship it always feels mostly your own fault
- You oscillate between self-love and self-hate .. but mostly self-hate
- You cannot do anything unless you're in the right mood .. even though you know that you shouldn't wait for the right mood and just chug through, but you still do.
- You are already self-aware that your own poor sleeping/eating habits are contributing to your ill moods and yet fail to act to make the change because you're waiting to be in the right emotional state to be in to make that change
- You want to love the world and everything that resides within and yet you can't love yourself.
- When hating yourself is acceptable, but being hated by someone else isn't.

:ranting: @ the bold. Seriously. Makes me feel like I aint getting no where :doh:

...and the rest is pretty accurate as well. The only one Ive gotten beat so far is the first one.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- you don't care about impressing others, but you want to express yourself
- others have called you self absorbed and dramatic
- you hate doing all the fruitless, ungalamorous labor that most people seem to spend 60% of their life doing
- you have an almost complete inability to do something you're not interested in
- you are disgusted when someone asks you to "fit in"
- when wearing any kind of uniform for school, work or any kind of activity, you find subtle ways to distinguish yourself by messing with it to make it look better
- you either dress with complete apathy or do a 180 and look like your own version of a glamorous celebrity
- you are disgusted by anyone who is fake, emotionally dishonest or people pleasing
- you really don't care about other people at all except on an ethical level, with the exception of a few close friends
- you frequently fight the urge to talk about yourself and encourage others to talk about themselves more

^looking back on this. this describes 3s, 7s, 8s and Sx doms much better than it does 4s

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...and the rest is pretty accurate as well. The only one Ive gotten beat so far is the first one.

Any tips on how you beat the first one? That's pretty much the bane of my existence.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^looking back on this. this describes 3s, 7s, 8s and Sx doms much better than it does 4s

Point 3 and 4 is totally Inferior Si and Type 7

Second last is totally Type 1, or a high functioning 4 integrated to an average [not healthy 1] ...

Type 4's are very much about relationships [especially sx's and so's] .. it's a little known fact, but even though we're highly introspective and want to be alone most of the time, our relationships are extremely important to us.

Oh .. and the last point is both Type 4 at extremely healthy, or unhealthy levels. A very healthy 4 would definitely act as an emotional therapist for his/her friends ... however it goes in the exact opposite for an unhealthy 4 who would be primarily interested in rescuing and providing emotional therapy *only* with the motive of getting it in return. Unhealthy 4's [especially 4w3's] can get very vindictive, jealous and hateful when they've gone out on a limb for others and haven't gotten it in return.