User Tag List

12311 Last

Default Eights, What's Your Take On This?

Level 1 (At Their Best): Become self-restrained and magnanimous, merciful and forbearing, mastering self through their self-surrender to a higher authority. Courageous, willing to put self in serious jeopardy to achieve their vision and have a lasting influence. May achieve true heroism and historical greatness.
    http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeEight.asp

1. Level of Liberation
    Heroic
    inspiring
    truly strong
    courageous
    selfless
    gentle

Self-Surrendering
    compassionate
    merciful
    forgiving
    magnanimous
    faithful
    innocent
    http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype8

Do these two descriptions of the healthiest level of 8's irritate the fuck out of you, like they do me?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

They don't irritate me, but I'm not an 8. I'm about as far from 8 as you can get. I like the healthy 8 description- if only all 8's were like this, I'd have an easier time dealing with this type. For some reason I find less healthy 8's difficult to deal with. To be fair, I find unhealthy people of any type difficult to deal with but I tend to find unhealthy 8's the most difficult. Probably because I have so little 8 in me that I find this type hard to identify with.

Why do the descriptions irritate you so, Metaphor? Do you feel like they don't describe you accurately? Are they too stereotypical? Do you feel like the healthy 8 is something you feel is unattainable, so you're irritated by that?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

These descriptions are caricatures of people who I'd rather slit my wrists with a dull, rusty butter knife, than become.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hm.

Heroic - I don't think this has much of a place here. Being heroic is.. in another category, to me.
    inspiring - This one, I could see. If I am independent, and work on myself.. I seem to inspire those around me. An easy example of that is exercising and eating right. When I do it, I inspire my family to do it, at least for a while.
    truly strong - I really do strive, hopelessly, for this quality. Feeling weak, or insufficient, is something that is hard for me. Strength from the inside, as well as the outside.
    courageous - An idea that I hold in my head.. not something I feel I am necessarily.. more like something I look up to.
    selfless - I can be very selfless at times.. but I consider this a necessary weakness at times instead of a strength. Sometimes too much of a weakness.
    gentle - Not at all something I consider a strength in myself.. but I admire it so much in others. To be truly gentle. I tend to protect these sort of people instinctively.

Self-Surrendering - This, I do not consider a strength at all either. Sometimes it's necessary to get whatever goal I have in my way done.. but unless it's working towards a goal, to be self-surrendering for the sake of it, I do not consider a strength.
    compassionate - This I absolutely consider a basic strength in humans. Compassion has a place in the world, so as long as you live around and interact with other people, it will always be considered a strength to me.
    merciful - This I don't necessarily consider a strength, not nearly to the point of compassion. Having compassion, but being just, suffices for me. Again, I consider it a necessary weakness.
    forgiving - This is an absolute must, based on my definition of it. To me.. forgiveness is when you stop allowing the actions of another person hurt and/or anger you. People having an influence on my personal state of mind is not something I entirely enjoy thinking about.
    magnanimous - Wtf? I suppose they're indicating that we should respect authority and put ourselves in their shoes with this comment.. I can do that. But my respect to those above me depends entirely on the type of leaders they are.
    faithful - ... Like in a relationship? .. I think Loyal would've been a more appropriate word here. I can be loyal, but I don't think this is necessarily a strength.
    innocent - Not something I consider a strength. This is a weakness I struggle with a lot. Being naive and dumb about things.

All in all.. The description here sounds like two things:
    1. A super hero
    2. All words that dampen the effects of an 'unhealthy' 8, but many are not necessarily 'healthy' 8 personas. Many of these words are not something I would associate with an 8 at all.. but more "How to act like a normal person and merge into society you silly 8's" how-to words.

I don't think people are superheroes for a reason. I'm not particularly super, nor am I a hero. I think this description annoys me because, even though I admire these qualities, I don't think combined they are at all feasible or possible to expect, especially out of an 8. I think the 'average' 8 descriptions are more likely, and aren't really 'unhealthy' qualities. They're just more normal.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Do these two descriptions of the healthiest level of 8's irritate the fuck out of you, like they do me?
    No.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I rather like those descriptions.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I rather like those descriptions.
    ^ x2

Out of the ruins
    Out from the wreckage
    Can`t make the same mistake this time
    We are the children
    The last generation
    We are the ones they left behind
    And I wonder when we're ever gonna change
    Living under the fear, till nothing else remains.

We don't need another hero
    We don't need to know the way home
    All we want is life beyond
    Thunderdome

Looking for something
    We can rely on
    There's gotta be something better out there
    Love and compassion
    Their day is coming
    All else are castles built in the air
    And I wonder when we're ever gonna change
    Living under the fear, till nothing else remains

All the children say
    We don't need another hero
    We don't need to know the way home
    All we want is life beyond
    Thunderdome

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    These descriptions are caricatures of people who I'd rather slit my wrists with a dull, rusty butter knife, than become.
    What is a desirable description to you and what to aspire to become? That is what sort of traits in yourself would you find most ideal?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne