• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Eights, What's Your Take On This?

rav3n

"What do you suggest is the top level?" Is answered with "Everyone has to find their own." He didnt ask what you think everyone's should be.. Just what yours should be. What would YOU write there? What would be the 8 words that you think would need to attain in order to be at your happiest, most fulfilled, and best operating? Jeezus.
Hmmm...go back and read the thread. Already been stated. I'd be curious to know why you're so annoyed, beyond being unable to control.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Self-actualization is for NFs anyway.

rav3n

Oh sorry, it appears we have a different definition of your words. We'll have to agree to disagree!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
  • Self-sufficient
  • Self-contained
  • A natural curiosity about the world
  • A desire to continually grow
  • No desire to impress others (which is how the Level 1 descriptions struck me, inauthentic with much external posturing.) but will take action when necessary, based on internal judgments.

A few more to add to the list of my version of emotionally healthy 8 traits.

This is the list you gave. I'm annoyed because you don't really want to discuss the topic.. whereas I truly did.

Asking an 8 to have no desire to impress others is like asking a fish to not swim. We're not 100% teir 1, we want to leave our footprint on the world, be independent and show others that we're the ones in control of our lives, not them. Impressing someone is an easy way to accomplish these things, and it isn't necessarily unhealthy. It's just a word, like any other.. in extremes it's unhealthy, but so is everything.

Being self-sufficient and self-contained is something anyone could strive for.. This is not specific to type 8s. Anyone could equally benefit from this. I think a list for what 8s should strive for should compliment and help reduce things we tend to fall short on and do wrong--like being gentle, and forgiving, and thinking of others.. We tend to have a hard time doing these things moreso than being "self-contained." This is something 8s tend to want on their own without much nudging. This is not "continually growing" At all to say "Just be an 8."

Just like my point was this entire time.. to "continually grow" we need to recognize there are things we fall short compared to other types, just like we have strengths other types may lack. The points you are making are things we do not fall short on.. they are things that we already possess (except the impressed thing.. I have no clue where that came from.)

- Be leaders
- Leave our footprint on the world
- Be in control of our lives as much as possible
- Fear being harmed or influence by things outside of our influence

The website that YOU said you agreed with made all of these points. None of what you mentioned creates those.. Yet, the things that you disagreed with do create those points. Minimize the harm/influence by being gracious, accepting, and understanding via forgiveness, gentleness, and thinking of others and respecting authority/boundaries (something we have a hard time doing).. Create a good leader with the words that describe one. Leave our footprint on the world by doing those things to the best of our abilities while we go after what we want in life. THese things will give us control of our lives in a way we can appreciate and enjoy.

That is what it is saying.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So that's why none of this makes any logical sense!

:yes:

• Self-sufficient
  • Self-contained
  • A natural curiosity about the world
  • A desire to continually grow
  • No desire to impress others (which is how the Level 1 descriptions struck me, inauthentic with much external posturing.) but will take action when necessary, based on internal judgments.

A few more to add to the list of my version of emotionally healthy 8 traits.

I did like this list.

I think what they are trying to do with level 1 for E-8s is take the "The Powerful, Dominating Type: Self-Confident, Decisive, Willful, and Confrontational" and make it so one is dominating others in an unharmful way. While I like your list, I think it only tells half the story for a Type 8: the singular self. One can't be "powerful", "dominating" and "confrontational" in a vacuum.

And relating to others in a broad sense is...

...wait for it...

...wait...

Fe!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hmmm...go back and read the thread. Already been stated. I'd be curious to know why you're so annoyed, beyond being unable to control.

You might as well have gone straight to name-calling. This was pretty rude and unnecessary.. I don't really think you're an 8. Debate about how enneagram descriptions are trying to force you to be a good-little-girl in society all you want. Someone will listen and agree with you somewhere. I think I'm pretty much done here.

rav3n

No, no we were. :devil:
I knew dat! Just playing with the tone of this thread. :laugh:

I did like this list.

I think what they are trying to do with level 1 for E-8s is take the "The Powerful, Dominating Type: Self-Confident, Decisive, Willful, and Confrontational" and make it so one is dominating others in an unharmful way. While I like your list, I think it only tells half the story for a Type 8: the singular self. One can't be "powerful", "dominating" and "confrontational" in a vacuum.
Hallelujah choir singing in the background!!! This isn't growth. It's a bloody band-aid. There's no need for anyone to dominate. The domination is a form of control, due to fear of harm and being controlled. To self-actualise, isn't the key to drill down into the core of the need and fix it, rather than pointing it towards being a pompous ass, but one who's harmless?

kyuuei, the above explains it better than anything else, so I'm not going to address your post directly, point by point.

And relating to others in a broad sense is...

...wait for it...

...wait...

Fe!
Yes it is. Bloody Fe.

rav3n

You might as well have gone straight to name-calling. This was pretty rude and unnecessary.. I don't really think you're an 8. Debate about how enneagram descriptions are trying to force you to be a good-little-girl in society all you want. Someone will listen and agree with you somewhere. I think I'm pretty much done here.
Not much more to say beyond :laugh:!

rav3n

This is it! This is why enneagram offends me so much. It's like a gigantic Fe-based framework of someone's interpretation of a how each personality type should fit, in order to create their definition of a functional society.

So thanks everyone for your input, no matter what it was. Now I can happily reject the entire theory. :yay:

H

Hate

I don't agree with this at all.

Lets look at it: 8, no wings, has made a genuine post twice in response to the thread, and no one has said anything in reply.
w8 has made a couple comments, and has gotten attention and responses all over the place. I think she seems extremely welcomed, if you ask me.

Plenty of people have already participated that aren't 8s, and she was upfront about her type, so let's not be so snarky plz?

Agree, it was overly snarky, but I hope you didn't actually take my comment seriously. It was just a joking reply to the 'run circles around anyone' comment.

rav3n

Are you okay?
Perfectly fine. Not going to give any credence to anyone else's concept of 'how' each human being should live their lives. We're all individuals with individual triggers, wants and needs.

rav3n

Can't believe I missed googling the history of enneagram theory or possibly didn't understand the implications. It sources from forms of organised religion. No wonder there's so much right and wrong, good and bad, deadly sin stuff. I'm disgusted with myself for not doing the research or not understanding implications.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Agree, it was overly snarky, but I hope you didn't actually take my comment seriously. It was just a joking reply to the 'run circles around anyone' comment.

:laugh: I had taken it seriously, but I really didn't pay attention to WHO was posting. Had I, instead of multi-quoting, I probably wouldn't have at all. :doh: My apologies ;)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't believe I missed googling the history of enneagram theory or possibly didn't understand the implications. It sources from forms of organised religion. No wonder there's so much right and wrong, good and bad, deadly sin stuff. I'm disgusted with myself for not doing the research or not understanding implications.

Interesting point. I was curious about what you said here and so looked it up.

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/history.asp

If there is wisdom that is common amongst the world's religions, that might mean something.