User Tag List

First 56789 Last

As someone who never really liked Superman finding him kind of lame, that argument doesn't work with me. Now Frank Miller's Dark Knight is something else. Be still my beating heart!

But Batman did what he had to do, not because he wanted to be viewed as a hero. Also take note that he did many non-heroic deeds because of an unresolved anger towards the murderers of his parents. So technically, he was emotionally unhealthy.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    But Batman did what he had to do, not because he wanted to be viewed as a hero.
    Some may view this as self-sacrificing (Only if you view being admired as a hero as a goal).

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Some may view this as self-sacrificing (Only if you view being admired as a hero as a goal).
    But the accolades weren't what he was after. He had a need for vengeance, a need he enacted onto the criminal world. Not a hero but a man, flaws and all.

ReflecTcelfeR

So you don't even consider him a hero in the first place? That does make it different. In the world he lived in do you think he should've been subjected to the same rules as everyone else?

Not sure what rules have to do with the concept of heroism. Perhaps you can explain.

ReflecTcelfeR

The police trying to subdue him even though he is helping in their efforts against stopping crime. He just happens to be more effiecient. Though this is kind of strange because Gordon doesn't mind so much. I'm thinking at the end of the 2nd Nolan movie.

This seems off subject, I apologize. You don't have to answer.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Seeing as how any of my points on the actual OP haven't been replied to, and the arguing for the sake of argument over something as trivial as "Superman is a superhero", I'll leave my points to be where they are.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Underlying differences reside in the definition of hero or superhero. Superman is a hero to you. To me, he's lame. There's no depth to him, doing everything by rote of what's societally deemed to be 'good'. Not sure he has the capacity of depth.

To add to my previous post, it's like people believe that everyone should adhere to societal definitions of 'good', hence find the heroic and magnanimous description of Level 1 as something to model themselves after. And if there's dissension, it's bad. Fe much anyone?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So the "bad boy" super hero with all the emotional turmoil has lots of depth because he came from a screwed lifestyle.. But the guy with alien superpowers and genuinely flies around helping the world and the people in it lacks emotional depth, and is thus not a super hero?

This entire debate has not focused on any of the true replies to the OP at all, and it keeps jumping around and changing tunes so much it's made my head spin. Maybe this is just a subject you didn't want to debate, but wanted support on. In which case, you should have just said so in the first place instead of leaving it so open-ended.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge