User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default So, tell me about INFP's who are type 5 enneagrams!

So, tell me about INFP's who are type 5 enneagrams. I am totally new to the enneagram system, but I seem to identify with the type 5.

I test as an INTP, but I think I fit the INFP classification alittle closer if you add in the enneagram type 5. The 5 trait's would seem to make a INFP act a little more logical.

Where is the knowledge vault on this?

(by chance, I took the free enneagram test, and tied between a 4,5, and 9!)

There's nothing logical about being a 5, I can assure you.

The type five typically encompasses these traits:

1. A preference for thought over action
    2. Hoarding time and space
    3. Withdrawing and remaining invisible; purposefully not participating

If you can identify those traits in your behaviour, you probably have some five in you. Mbti type should have no effect on this.

Remember that these typologies will never fully reflect who you are - by their very nature they are generalised. Don't rely on them to tell you who you are.
    Hello

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I'd agree with VagrantFarce that no enneagram type is "rational," per se. They are all about ways we defensively protect ourselves and prevent ourselves from being truly present and vulnerable. So, from the Common INFP Issues thread:

Type 5 INFPs - Some INFPs identify as Type 5s. These may be INFPs who test close to the F/T border. INFP type 5s may tend to:
    • Fall easily into being a detached observer, rather than a participant. While many INFPs have this quality (as it is common for all introverts), it is often more pronounced in type 5 INFPs.
    • Feel torn between engagement and withdrawing. Fi tends to concern itself with people and harmonizing values, while type 5s fear being overwhelmed by others. This can leads to type 5 INFPs feeling particularly torn when trying to begin or maintain relationships with others.
    • Like type 4 INFPs, come across as weird/crazy.
    • Appear to be more even keeled/flatter emotionally than other INFPs. The ability of Fi to regulate emotional state is used here to moderate emotional intensity. May have a hard time dealing with intense emotions when they arise (may attempt to flee into rationalizing and intellectualizing).

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    There's nothing logical about being a 5, I can assure you.

The type five typically encompasses these traits:

1. A preference for thought over action
    2. Hoarding time and space
    3. Withdrawing and remaining invisible; purposefully not participating

If you can identify those traits in your behaviour, you probably have some five in you. Mbti type should have no effect on this.

Remember that these typologies will never fully reflect who you are - by their very nature they are generalised. Don't rely on them to tell you who you are.
    Yup. I'm def. a 5 then, i always tie between a 5 and a 9, it seems contradictory.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    Yup. I'm def. a 5 then, i always tie between a 5 and a 9, it seems contradictory.
    The general enneagram truism is that 9s often think they are 5s, but not vice versa. Still, I think Fi makes that a less simple equation.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmmm so i'm a 9 who wants to be a 5? To be honest it all still confuses me.....

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    Hmmm so i'm a 9 who wants to be a 5? To be honest it all still confuses me.....
    I would say consider both 9 and 5. If one seems particularly unattractive/ugly/repulsive to you, that may be a clue it's your enneagram type. Of course, if you've had bad interactions with someone of the type in the past, that can also have an effect.

I think being an Fi-dom makes one seem slightly 9-ish, since many Fi-doms can't help but be aware of the emotional states of others. There's some INFP enneagram discussion in the Do INFPs have an incessant need to please others? thread, which may or may not be helpful.

Which 9 traits do you identify with? Do you have a hard time being aware of your own needs? Has anyone ever given feedback to you that interactions with you are tiring, because you seem to absorb energy and not react? (Although I think that last is ameliorated a bit if one is a So instinctual type.) Have you ever gotten feedback that you seem to want something (have a hidden agenda) but won't be direct about it and remain non-cooperative until you get it? Do you find it easier to adopt the agenda of others, rather than have your own needs met?

I have a coworker who I think is a not particularly healthy type 9. Meetings she leads are painful, because they drag on and on and it's not clear what she wants out of them, but she clearly wants something. After a while I'd be willing to gnaw my own arm off in order to escape. I don't think most 9s are so extreme, but there is a quality of absorbing inertness to many of them (esp the ones who don't lead with So).

I sat with the 9s one lunch at the enneagram conference I went to, and trying to get conversation going was an uphill battle. I'd throw something out, and it would almost always trigger a very minimal, yet agreeable response. 9s in a more dynamic, energetic environment will liven up, but that quality of inertness is definitely there.

(And 9s, feel free to correct me or let me know if I've been too harsh, here.)

A few random tidbits/stories about 5s from the conference: 5s want to avoid depending on anyone else, and want to master things themselves. They often will avoid asking for help if at all possible. One 5 told a story about testing to make sure he could flip his kayak upright after being upside down. He warned his girlfriend to give him some time to see if he could get it. He flailed around for a good while, barely being able to get up far enough to snatch a breath before going back under the water. Eventually his girlfriend dove in and helped him right himself. His immediate response was to snarl "I TOLD you not to help!!!"

5s fear being drained, so avoid ongoing commitments when possible. When they do commit, they commit deeply. Type 5s are afraid to appear incompetent, so tend to specialize in specific areas of interest where they can attain mastery.

Fives tend to exist in their heads, at a remove, and get a lot of mileage out of a little direct interaction or experience. One type 5 told a story about hanging out with a friend one day; they had a great time and she had enjoyed herself. The next day, her friend called her to hang out more, and the 5 felt put out. Everything had been fine, why mess it up with more interaction now? The type 5 was still getting enjoyment from the previous interaction and would be fine with processing that for a while.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'd think most INFPs fall around 4, 9, and 5 in that order. I'd actually say enneagram 5 correlates more with IxxP's in general. Introverted observers who are biding at participating in the things around them because they are busy being away and gathering up info.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'm still not sure if i'm a 4w5 or a 5w4, this is just making me think i'm a 5. how can i tell??

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

great avatar, chana.