• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] 5w4s & finding work

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Maybe it's an INFP thing. 9w1, but still a big fat WTF.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Finding satisfying work or just any work?

MBTI Type
Mann
Satisfying work. Can't bring myself to do anything else. I have "better plans" which I never seem to put into play.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Satisfying work. Can't bring myself to do anything else. I have "better plans" which I never seem to put into play.

I can relate without a doubt. Without trying to sound like I'm the sole 5w4 with all the answers :D, I think it's important to:

1. Give yourself options. Become qualified in 2 or 3 different areas/careers. If you *think* you'd like to teach and you also think you'd like to start your own business, then get qualified to teach and begin starting your own business (while working). If you don't like 1, you've got the other going for you still.

2. Remember the importance of baby steps. I think it's easy for us to want it all *right now*. For instance, I'm going to market a product in the near future. But, first I have to (a) Write down all my ideas (business plan as well as documenting my entire idea for the purpose of getting a patent), (b) do in-depth market research, (c) create a prototype, (d) get the patent. Only then would it be wise (or even possible) to attempt to market the product. What I'm saying here is that it's important for us to realize that things like this take time. I spent about 3 years documenting and brainstorming my idea. The next step will take time too (hopefully not that long). It's a process.

Just keep inching towards the things you want to do. Do *one* real, tangible, concrete thing every day to get you closer to what you want to do. Something that literally brings it closer to reality. Not just "ooooohh, I'd love to do that, that would be cool." Actually physically do something that brings it closer.

With all that said, I've certainly wasted many days myself wishing I could do something else. Once again, blame it on the P. :D

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Finding satisfying work or just any work?

I'm tempted to say any, as one seems to require professional dishwashing experience in order to be considered for any dishwasher position.

May as well have been mowing lawns out in the middle of the Pacific for the last ten years.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
May as well have been mowing lawns out in the middle of the Pacific for the last ten years.

That's what I've been doing for the last 10 years and it worked for me. I recently got hired mowing lawns in the middle of the Atlantic.

I'm tempted to say any, as one seems to require professional dishwashing experience in order to be considered for any dishwasher position.

That's a whole different thread than finding "satisfying" work.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That's a whole different thread than finding "satisfying" work.
True in itself, though I was making a point of how ridiculously weak my reality function is to garner reflections/ideas from 5s out of lack of comparative data because I'm too lazy to sift through threads without authoring a new one.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w5 but i agree

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w5 INFP here....same problem. I've gone on countless interviews in my life and obtained very little work from it. This seems unusual - most people seem to have better odds, based on what they've told me....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
my dad is offered jobs all the time and sticks to them, and he's a 5. i'm not sure about his wing - probably 6, but still a 5. he's in medicine.

myself, however - i'm a 3w4... i find it easy enough to get work... but to get satisfying work... ugh

i have an inkling of what i might maybe like to do but Ne (and P) associated issues are really fucking me over. basically i'm terrified to invest in something that i might not like - or, rather more terrifyingly, might not be good at. i want a passion but i'm afraid to have one that i can't deliver on. so here's something just as depressing as having a hard time getting a job: i can get a job, but as soon as i get it, i feel locked in, plus i'm afraid i won't be able to commit (eg, i'll run late all the time, will miss deadlines, etc), and it scares the hell out of me. usually i either end up quitting before i start or i hate the job to a certain degree because it takes up time i can envision doing other things with. even if i like it.

i need counseling, i guess, but i'd need money which requires me getting/keeping a job first :doh:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let´s just say I had my reasons for becoming a freelancer:smoke:

I suffered every single day I was doing that repetitive, pointless, stressful office job - it felt like a prison. Now I´m my own boss, which means working on weekends and at night, but also taking time off whenever I feel like it and mixing business and pleasure when I´m in front of the computer. Almost every new translating or interpreting job requires some form of research, so you are bound to constantly learn something new. I´ll do solar panels on one day and an add for a perfume or a medical text on the next, which allows for the much needed variety.

Join the self-employed!
495008203_de8eb72f57.jpg

fortuno

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4

5w4 (or maybe other way around) here, and stuck in the same exact rut. I don't even care for satisfying at this point - I just need any job, but no job seems to want me. Dish-washing, dog-walking, floor-mopping: all require doctorates and letters of recommendation from the president... the only exception is retail, which my socially phobic self cannot even sanely entertain the idea of.

I contemplate suicide.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
5w4 (or maybe other way around) here, and stuck in the same exact rut. I don't even care for satisfying at this point - I just need any job, but no job seems to want me. Dish-washing, dog-walking, floor-mopping: all require doctorates and letters of recommendation from the president... the only exception is retail, which my socially phobic self cannot even sanely entertain the idea of.

I contemplate suicide.

Move to a state with low unemployment. Bonus: It will be an adventure.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I contemplate suicide.

Oh, I've tried retail....it used to be easy to get a retail job. When I was in college, I could walk into a store & be hired on the spot.

Now, with so much unemployment & so many applicants to pick from, they weed people out with personality quizzes that basically test to see how ESxJ you are. :dry:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha, it's so true. has anyone ever done those Taleo assessments? the couple i've done definitely test how ESTJ you are, for management positions, and ESFJ, for retail positions.

preferably you'll be an ESTJ with excellent Fe.

which is illogical. just like the rat race.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I don't really know what my enneagram is but I suspect I may be a 9. I can't find work either. I've been doing apps for about a month and got one interview. I really should call in more but people are scary. The interview I got was with Target. They're hiring an extra person in most departments for the season. The girl there made sure to specify that it was most likely just till January. I didn't get the job. That's right, I didn't get a seasonal position in retail despite the fact that I have a 4 year degree! I actually didn't really want it. I would've had to driven five miles and it was probably minimum wage. Still, I can't help but have a hurt ego.

Things I need to do for next time:

Prepare for interview next time. The thought didn't even cross my mind. If it had I probably would've had wracked nerves. "OMG! Examples of achievement?! What's achievement? Why should I value it?"

I'm thinking about just surfing the web for good stories of achievement :)