• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] 5w4s & finding work

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also got rejected from Target as well as a few other major retail corporations. I just chalk it up to being overqualified or too smart for them anyway. Seriously, I think the person doing the hiring looks at the degree and thinks, she's gonna quit as soon as she finds a better job.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ EXACTLY. And let's face it - isn't that what we're going to do? Like it's our dream to work at Target? I suppose the manager interviewing you who has made it her "career" needs to think so....
I don't even make it to interviews with stores anymore.....I don't think I pass Target's personality assessment (which has some seriously ethically questionable questions - ie. "do you have traditional values"? Huh? Why don't you just ask me what my religion is?). I interviewed with Forever 21 and they acted like my experience dealing with design clients was not comparable to customer service in a cheap mall store...yeah, that's cuz it's WAY more difficult.

I've read some articles on how these retail businesses who use tests by uncru / kronos don't want "too" smart people with ambitious goals. They want people just intelligent enough to handle the job, but to also be content with it for years & years with no dreams beyond it. They don't want people who are creative or reserved. So the average INxx is going to fail the tests unless they lie.

What I find amusing is in my past experience at minimum wage jobs (when I was in college), I was always a valued employee because I am flexible (will fill in for people's shifts), honest, and easy-going (don't get into arguments with people). The turnover rates are high on these jobs, and so they're trying to reduce that to save money, but I always stayed longer on these jobs than most people around me and I don't pass those tests. I suppose now with a BA and 5+ years professional work experience, i don't seem like a safe bet, but I could have been working somewhere for almost 2 years now (that's how long I've been unemployed). That's a looong time in retail world.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ EXACTLY. And let's face it - isn't that what we're going to do? Like it's our dream to work at Target? I suppose the manager interviewing you who has made it her "career" needs to think so....
I don't even make it to interviews with stores anymore.....I don't think I pass Target's personality assessment (which has some seriously ethically questionable questions - ie. "do you have traditional values"? Huh? Why don't you just ask me what my religion is?). I interviewed with Forever 21 and they acted like my experience dealing with design clients was not comparable to customer service in a cheap mall store...yeah, that's cuz it's WAY more difficult.

I remember taking Target's assessment a couple years back. It was really weird. They had all these ethical scenarios and asked you what you would do. There were like 5 options and I remember that for several of the questions, I could easily rule out 2 or 3 of them but then I'd still be left with 2 or 3 options that all sounded correct. I'm a thinking type but I think I'm pretty ethically sound. I know what the common sense thing to do in most situations is. So why did I find that exam so hard?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All the online tests are bunk. Sometimes when wandering around in a department store browsing polka dot jock straps, I wonder how human their employees are to not only have completed a test but draw a response that leads to an interview with a room of baked turds sculpted into tabloid celebrities.

Lately I've been really pressing for Wholefoods, as far as dressing nicely enough to put my mug in their faces for remembrance's sake, because that's the sort of thing they're interested in, apparently. Or Edjoin, despite the fact that one day 200 people might show to take an "I can wipe my ass" competence exam just for consideration for an interview to help a special ed. teacher mop up drool.

Even though I joke about using a fast food chain as a fallback option if the university job fairs over the next few days don't pan out, it's a concern if that'll even be a possibility with this thick wall of soundproof glass already in place. Can you make half a living huffing paint?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a thinking type but I think I'm pretty ethically sound. I know what the common sense thing to do in most situations is. So why did I find that exam so hard?

i dunno, they always confuse the shit out of me too. i see wayyy too many loopholes and interpretations. and sometimes i'm sure that what i think is the best thing to do is not what they want me to think. preferably i do applications online and get my ESFJ mom to help me choose the right answers. she thinks all the questions are idiotic too, though. everyone i know does.

it just baffles me that there are large groups of people somewhere that think these tests are a good way of assessing people.

B

brainheart

All the online tests are bunk. Sometimes when wandering around in a department store browsing polka dot jock straps, I wonder how human their employees are to not only have completed a test but draw a response that leads to an interview with a room of baked turds sculpted into tabloid celebrities.

Lately I've been really pressing for Wholefoods, as far as dressing nicely enough to put my mug in their faces for remembrance's sake, because that's the sort of thing they're interested in, apparently. Or Edjoin, despite the fact that one day 200 people might show to take an "I can wipe my ass" competence exam just for consideration for an interview to help a special ed. teacher mop up drool.

Even though I joke about using a fast food chain as a fallback option if the university job fairs over the next few days don't pan out, it's a concern if that'll even be a possibility with this thick wall of soundproof glass already in place. Can you make half a living huffing paint?

I worked for Whole Foods. They are so bureaucratic and hypocritical it really pissed me off. I made sushi- you cut the ends off sushi- so instead of throwing them out I would save them in a little container to eat later. They found out and accused me of stealing, you know because I wasn't wasting stuff, eating their garbage. Made me start paying for it. I didn't work there long.

I've also worked at Marshall's. Took the stupid test and of course I lied on it- like I'm going to tell them that I hate being around people and shopping is my worst nightmare when I'm desperate for a job. Turns out working there was my worst nightmare.

My plan now is to get a master's so I can go to school for four years and avoid looking for a job while I look like I'm being productive.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I'm tempted to say any, as one seems to require professional dishwashing experience in order to be considered for any dishwasher position.

May as well have been mowing lawns out in the middle of the Pacific for the last ten years.

I feel ya there.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I worked for Whole Foods. They are so bureaucratic and hypocritical it really pissed me off. I made sushi- you cut the ends off sushi- so instead of throwing them out I would save them in a little container to eat later. They found out and accused me of stealing, you know because I wasn't wasting stuff, eating their garbage. Made me start paying for it. I didn't work there long.

I've also worked at Marshall's. Took the stupid test and of course I lied on it- like I'm going to tell them that I hate being around people and shopping is my worst nightmare when I'm desperate for a job. Turns out working there was my worst nightmare.

My plan now is to get a master's so I can go to school for four years and avoid looking for a job while I look like I'm being productive.

i worked at whole foods too. they act like they're not a typical corporation and are all laid back, but that's such bullshit. i was customer service and they ran our department like a high school. we got written up for every stupid little violation.

the employee discount was good though (i got an extra 10% because of my bmi. fucked up, but still nice) and i worked with lots of cool people.