my (ex) best friend was one.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I still wonder if there are any INTP 4s around who are pretty sure about the T preference.
    Positive!

As I gather, the basic desire of a 5 is to be competent/useful, and the basic desire of a 4 is to be unique/significant...
    The former can be viewed as a subset of the latter, or the other way around.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I am an ENTP and since coming across the Enneagram quite a few years ago have been 'all over the place' with which E-type I thought I was - 3, 5, 6 with most of the wings. Recently came to think/know I am a 4.

Initially came up with 5w6 on the test, strangely (?) this coincided with when I used to think I was INTP Very 'abstract' and 'theoretical', interested in arcane stuff like optimising Linux to run on a badger, studying masters degree for the sake of the knowledge in itself, etc.

Moved onto 3w4, identified that feeling I should "push on" with things like the degree, being an expert on the things I was good at, like at work etc, wanting to impress people, feeling like I had no sense of 'self' other than what I project to other people (Still don't, come to that!) Doing insane numbers of hours at work because "I am the only one who can do this", etc (though I'm not sure this is a 3 thing, actually)

Went through a bit of a strange period in life (long story short: being contradictory, testing people, push and pull, feeling like I couldn't do things [such as a particular sport, liking a particular band, etc..] because someone "already was doing that" and I didn't want to be seen as copying them, very risk averse though feeling that I "should" be rather than that I really was, hence a constant source of conflict, etc), was identified by others when I posted one of those "type me!" on a different forum as a 6 although I hadn't really considered that type myself. Reading the description it seemed to make sense and could fit, though that could be just the zodiac principle at work.

Got disillusioned with the Enneagram and didn't come back to it for a while.

Recently, and I'm not sure why but think it may have been due to joining this forum actually, as it asks for MB and E type in the user profile - came back to it and started thinking again about what type I might be.

As it's all about motivation - in some sense - when I think with the perspective of 'adulthood' (I am nearly 30!) and a lot more life experience with people etc, that all of the above is really driven by the feeling to be 'unique' and 'special' rather than for the more specific reasons (pursuit of knowledge, seeking of admiration, etc) for the other types...

It can be strange and contradictory, e.g. naturally I can be a bit of a risk taker, but continually feel 'forced' to be extremely risk averse (e.g. being unable to spend any money at all other than on basic things despite being lucky enough to have a good job - and I know it is luck in this economy) and to differentiate myself from others: "I'm the only one that can't take annual leave, as the company will fall apart without me" (because i'm 'unique' in being competent - not true), "I have to keep studying and continue to a masters degree so that other people won't think I'm a lazy slacker but I'm the only person others think of like this - most people can stop" (also not true), "I can't take up badminton because so-and-so is already doing it" (maybe true but not if just for the reaction from people)

I don't know how to describe it other than "Believing things I don't really believe" - Rationally and at the time I know the belief is silly and ridiculous!

Anyway, coming back to the Enneagram type I would now identify myself as a 4, probably 4w3. Seems a bit strange as I have always associated 4 with the 'Feeling' functions (yeah I know they are not directly correlated..) though of course we all have a 'Feeling' function!

Personally though I feel like I have never really 'got on' with the Enneagram as much as the MBTI, it doesn't seem to stand up objectively as a whole system that fits together *because* of its structure, rather than just being a structure that someone came up with! For instance 9 seems a "non-obvious" number of types, for a start.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    stringstheory is ENFP 1.
    Me too.

Just sayin'.

Makes lots of people (including myself for a long time) confused about type.

I assume it could work the same way for an INTP 4.

Quote Originally Posted by colourscientist View Post
    my (ex) best friend was one.
    Hmm did (s)he not seem like the "stereotypical" INFJ? INFJs aren't traditionally confrontational or harsh...