• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9 is liberating

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I hardly know him. Judging from what I've seen of him on the forum, he tends to have some interesting and original commentary.
Really? I must have missed that.
I don't see IsFP, though. Most ISFPs tend to state the obvious and reveal the pragmatic, or if they're more like BC or wolfy, they can shift perspectives fairly easily and turn ideas upside down. I sense a strong tertiary temptation vice for both those too. Not that that's bad or anything.
Hmm... It's time to go MacGuffin stalking.
He does both those things.

Make sure you wear one of these:
101151.jpg

and...be careful out there!

EDIT
MLF, I don't think 9's coping mechanisms are about avoidance in general.

I think they are about avoidance of conflict.

This means that, instead of engaging in any direct contention, they would rather mend the situation and encourage everyone to be a single peaceful organism
That does sound quite boring, doesn't it?

It's not just avoiding conflict, it's any kind of unpleasantness, even disturbing thoughts or sensations are purged from consciousness.

That's why Riso-Hudson talk about suffering as the pathway to self-awareness for 9s.

G

Ginkgo

Really? I must have missed that.

He does both those things.

Make sure you wear one of these:
101151.jpg

and...be careful out there!

EDIT
That does sound quite boring, doesn't it?

It's not just avoiding conflict, it's any kind of unpleasantness, even disturbing thoughts or sensations are purged from consciousness.

That's why Riso-Hudson talk about suffering as the pathway to self-awareness for 9s.

By that logic, by embracing your opposite (shadow :D ), you become self-aware.

So, if you apply that to 4s, for instance, their self-awareness reaches a peak when they focus on others?

For 5s, their peak awareness is revealed when they are ignorant?

That's certainly counter-intuitive.

wolfy

awsm
Nice thread MacGuffin - I'll come back later to add my thoughts.

FWIW I feel a resonance with you that I generally experience with other 9's. Same with wolfy (edit: I know he's ISFP), Edahn and some other INTP 9's here. And this was before I knew they were 9's.

Just sayin'.

Glad you fixed that. : )

Thanks

Congrats wolfy! Upgraded to INTP from ISFP! ;)

Haha, sounds too much like XP to Vista for my liking.

For the longest time, I thought I was a type 5 (as INTP). Most INTPs are that enneagram type, so naturally I thought it was me. Despite the fact that Type 9 would often test equal to or above Type 5 for myself.

In the past year, I've come to accept that I am Type 9.

The 9 is often described as the Peacemaker, and that really applied to me. I didn't like drama or other people intruding on my little world. Don't rock the boat, don't make waves, don't do anything I have to deal with other than my own thoughts.

Realizing this is my natural tendency has actually freed me from its constraints. I now care less what others think/feel, and realize that they can handle whatever I say/do far better than I previously expected. I no longer have to weigh each statement before I fire it out. It's more fun to throw it all up in the air and see where it lands. I'm overly sensitive to how things are interpreted, so if I see little problem with a statement, then if someone has a reaction to it they're the ones that are overly sensitive. It's their problem, not mine.

This is not to say that I can't or won't attempt to find harmony with others. It's that I don't have to do it all the time, I can choose when I want it and when I don't.

I wonder if any other Type 9 has discovered this as well.

I have been thinking about this for the last day. I kind of get what you are saying but it seems different to how I adapted over my life.

I realised at some time that I had no trouble being placidly callous. And that was the kind of liberating to me in communicating with others. I'd move back and forth but if I needed to maintain my ability to move forward I would need to stay within some principles otherwise my ability to move forward with my view would not work. I was moving forward in anger only, often only in order to protect my agenda free lifestyle. Or in order to shove my agenda through.

I was reading this thing on enneagram nine that said a nine needs to move back into their ego. I was also reading on how nines can use their anger as energy. Those and the sp/sx thing on boundaries were really interesting to me.

I get what you are saying. I think there is more to the overall dynamic with people.

This post is a bit of mess. It is hard to tell whether I am mixing stuff in. I think there are other aspects to my personality that would cause me to approach it differently. I am 9w8, isfp and identify strongly with leisurely in Oldham's theory.

I think that if you can find that sweet point, that leverage point, then you have real power as a nine. Here I am, here you are, let's get it on.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By that logic, by embracing your opposite (shadow :D ), you become self-aware.

So, if you apply that to 4s, for instance, their self-awareness reaches a peak when they focus on others?

For 5s, their peak awareness is revealed when they are ignorant?

That's certainly counter-intuitive.
I see what you did there.
But no.
Self-awareness is particularly weak in unhealthy nines.
Each type has different areas of weakness. Fours have to concentrate their focus outside of themselves and their perpetual self-absorption. Fives have to just continue being awesome.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ ^ [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-07_2DWfEmQ"];)[/YOUTUBE]

G

Ginkgo

For the longest time, I thought I was a type 5 (as INTP). Most INTPs are that enneagram type, so naturally I thought it was me.

Enneagram 5 INTPs never determine their own identities in affiliating with large demographics by making such broad, sweeping statements.

... Oh shit.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could see that :huh:

Would enneagram come into play here though, seeing as the most common type for E9s is IxFP? As in would a non-IxFP E9 look IxFP because of their enneagram?
There are E9 INTPs that are quite clearly not Fs though. They look quite different. Like Xander, for example.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Just thought I'd mention that with the characteristics attributed to 9s, the most natural MBTI type would be any kind of I--P; the combination of detachment and adaptability that is comonly found in these types seems more significant to me than either the S/N or T/F dichotomies.

G

Ginkgo

Would enneagram come into play here though, seeing as the most common type for E9s is IxFP? As in would a non-IxFP E9 look IxFP because of their enneagram?

Good question!

The fact is that both enneatype and MBTI archetype are expressions of people. Those expressions can be found in an infinite number of ways. It's like the hue and sharpness on your TV set. So let's say you set your hue to 7. You can still change the sharpness while retaining that hue. In doing so, you overlap to systems of thought and wind up with a singular multidimentional system.

So, the important thing to ask yourself is "What defines and archetypal E9?" If you have the correct definition, then you can see a multitude of types fitting within that sphere. This is where, I think, stereotype and archetype MUST be distinguished from each other. When you say "look like a certain type", you are appealing to a stereotype.

wolfy

awsm

A lot of the descriptions seem pretty close to ixfp stuff.

I think harmony for the nine is harmony within the self. I relate more to conflict avoidance because it consumes my mind than for any other reason. I relate to the part of the description where it says that nines can be out of touch with their instinctual centre. Afraid that if they ever get angry they'll never stop.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems around here that more ISXP tend to be 9w8, but that more INXP tend to be 9w1s? :shock:

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I haven't had this "realization" described, but I am an INTP and regularly test as E9. As far as "I care less now about what others think" - I'm not sure I'm capable of that kind of fine-tuning. The bare truth is there are some people I care very much for their opinions/feelings, and others whom I don't.

I don't know the theory of Enneagram that well --to be honest it didn't resonate with me very well at first, but the idea that E9's suck at self-awareness might go some distance to explain that. However the "wings" don't really make sense to me. I always form a sawtooth in my Enneagram tests (spikes at 3,5,7,9), in fact, increasing in that order. I wish these things came with error bars.

They sometimes attempt to "solve" the inner conflict between their desire for merging and their desire for independence by "triangulation." They engage in two separate, simultaneous relationships that serve different needs while never completely showing up in either. Needless to say, this can create the kinds of conflicts that Nines are trying to avoid.

oh. that. yeah...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
There are E9 INTPs that are quite clearly not Fs though. They look quite different. Like Xander, for example.

Yes, Xander has that same feel.

So did evan (the little I saw him post; I don't think he's been around lately at all) but when I looked up his profile he has a tritype of 5-9-1 listed. Perhaps the same kind of dynamic as MacGuffin (a 5 or a 9?)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been thinking about this for the last day. I kind of get what you are saying but it seems different to how I adapted over my life.

I realised at some time that I had no trouble being placidly callous. And that was the kind of liberating to me in communicating with others. I'd move back and forth but if I needed to maintain my ability to move forward I would need to stay within some principles otherwise my ability to move forward with my view would not work. I was moving forward in anger only, often only in order to protect my agenda free lifestyle. Or in order to shove my agenda through.

I was reading this thing on enneagram nine that said a nine needs to move back into their ego. I was also reading on how nines can use their anger as energy. Those and the sp/sx thing on boundaries were really interesting to me.

I get what you are saying. I think there is more to the overall dynamic with people.

This post is a bit of mess. It is hard to tell whether I am mixing stuff in. I think there are other aspects to my personality that would cause me to approach it differently. I am 9w8, isfp and identify strongly with leisurely in Oldham's theory.

I think that if you can find that sweet point, that leverage point, then you have real power as a nine. Here I am, here you are, let's get it on.

The "placidly callous" part rings true in certain situations. Usually it involves giving people enough rope to hang themselves.

I do think the 9s get what I'm saying, though I'll admit the OP wasn't tightly constructed. The rest seem to think its a call to being a serial killer. :doh:

That sweet point can be elusive.

G

Ginkgo

Yes, Xander has that same feel.

So did evan (the little I saw him post; I don't think he's been around lately at all) but when I looked up his profile he has a tritype of 5-9-1 listed. Perhaps the same kind of dynamic as MacGuffin (a 5 or a 9?)

Yeah, Evan gave the impression of being "above". Even when Jack Flak antagonized him, he kept his cool, and found the right words to express himself without engaging aggressively. I liked the character.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
For the longest time, I thought I was a type 5 (as INTP). Most INTPs are that enneagram type, so naturally I thought it was me. Despite the fact that Type 9 would often test equal to or above Type 5 for myself.

In the past year, I've come to accept that I am Type 9.

The 9 is often described as the Peacemaker, and that really applied to me. I didn't like drama or other people intruding on my little world. Don't rock the boat, don't make waves, don't do anything I have to deal with other than my own thoughts.

Realizing this is my natural tendency has actually freed me from its constraints. I now care less what others think/feel, and realize that they can handle whatever I say/do far better than I previously expected. I no longer have to weigh each statement before I fire it out. It's more fun to throw it all up in the air and see where it lands. I'm overly sensitive to how things are interpreted, so if I see little problem with a statement, then if someone has a reaction to it they're the ones that are overly sensitive. It's their problem, not mine.

This is not to say that I can't or won't attempt to find harmony with others. It's that I don't have to do it all the time, I can choose when I want it and when I don't.

I wonder if any other Type 9 has discovered this as well.

this reads similar to a hidden rule or long standing law of human nature. law being: when someone turns 40 they no longer have to sweat the small stuff and can let themselves tell it and think it like it is. kinda like breaking a burden of social inhibition. walking with truth. not so much for the better of anyone else but to be honest with ones self. it can even grow humor, imo. for some reason others may laugh at an idea. when that happens, it's usually no biggy because others may ponder it and find the reality of the idea is kinda funny to an extent. either way, people instinctively know that person, 40 or older, earned it and may even cut the cheese in public and pretend nothing happened just to see what happens. or, it could be type 9ers around 40 or older because the infrequency of seeing much of that burden lift.

are you around 40?