User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    This is progress?
    Sounds like the sort of thing immature 5s say all the time.
    I'd say the difference is a 9 would have to learn to care less so people don't get them down, a 5 would have to learn to care sometimes to develop relationships. Maybe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't have the same experience with discovering I'm a 9 but I do with discovering 4. Ironically it explained a lot of my resistance to nailing down a MBTI type over the years and as a result I'm more inclined to go ahead and call that one despite the ambivalence (and no, I'm not telling y'all what I decided).
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Tease!!
    (INFJ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I'd say the difference is a 9 would have to learn to care less so people don't get them down, a 5 would have to learn to care sometimes to develop relationships. Maybe.
    Maybe.
    9s have problems dealing with reality though. Their coping mechanisms are all about avoidance. The passage I quoted reads (to me) like an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for the consequences of one's actions and blaming others. I.e. typical unhealthy 9 behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Maybe.
    9s have problems dealing with reality though. Their coping mechanisms are all about avoidance. The passage I quoted reads (to me) like an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for the consequences of one's actions and blaming others. I.e. typical unhealthy 9 behaviour.
    Ahhh, avoidance! Now I remember why I identify with 9 so much!

ETA: Dang

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    The 9 is often described as the Peacemaker, and that really applied to me. I didn't like drama or other people intruding on my little world. Don't rock the boat, don't make waves, don't do anything I have to deal with other than my own thoughts.
    Uh, this is a text-book description of a 5, not a 9. Are you absolutely sure you're a 9?

Both types have trouble asserting themselves and have strategies to deal with the assertions of others, but they manifest in completely different ways:

• 5s are afraid of asserting themselves because they see the world as something that takes more than gives - they feel they don't have the energy or competence to deal with such a loud, chaotic and invasive world directly, and so they withdraw into abstraction, pre-thought and their own private space to keep their outer obligations as simple as possible. This lets them deal with primarily their own interests and thoughts, away from the prying eyes of others. 5s grow as people by learning to trust direct engagement - that they have the energy and strength to deal with whatever the world throws at them on a moment-to-moment basis.

• 9s don't assert themselves because, unlike 5s, they don't have an agenda of their own - they happily accommodate everyone else's in order to keep things harmonious. They've numbed out their own "petty" assertions and destroyed their own boundaries in order to make room for everyone else's. Unlike 5s, they don't avoid the expectations of others at all - they happily allow them to overtake their own. Whereas 5s find it empowering to study what scares them or seeks to overwhelm them, 9s are likely to drown out anything that threatens the peace. 9s grow as people by realising that asserting their own wants and needs onto others won't destroy the peaceful fabric they've helped to create, and may even enrich everyone else's lives rather than pollute them.

So both types have trouble with asserting themselves and dealing with the assertions of others, and both grow as people by embracing their assertive side - but for entirely different reasons, and in entirely different ways. So make sure of your type before shouting it from the rooftops and declaring it as "liberating".
    Hello

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I at least seem to have most of the faults of the 9. I should grow a backbone someday.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I wonder if any other Type 9 has discovered this as well.
    I had the exact same discovery, and also started acting in a similar way when I realized it. It felt like a load off my shoulders.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    • 9s don't assert themselves because, unlike 5s, they don't have an agenda of their own - they happily accommodate everyone else's in order to keep things harmonious. They've numbed out their own "petty" assertions and destroyed their own boundaries in order to make room for everyone else's. Unlike 5s, they don't avoid the expectations of others at all - they happily allow them to overtake their own. Whereas 5s find it empowering to study what scares them or seeks to overwhelm them, 9s are likely to drown out anything that threatens the peace. 9s grow as people by realising that asserting their own wants and needs onto others won't destroy the peaceful fabric they've helped to create, and may even enrich everyone else's lives rather than pollute them.

So both types have trouble with asserting themselves and dealing with the assertions of others, and both grow as people by embracing their assertive side - but for entirely different reasons, and in entirely different ways. So make sure of your type before shouting it from the rooftops and declaring it as "liberating".
    Funny, people over the years have told me I had to be more assertive and not let people "walk over me"(if I had something to say to someone, even if it'll make the other person mad, just say it.) Been told that I had to voice myself so others could understand me. When it comes to a classroom setting or debating, I do tend to be assertive and even fiery in my views. But typically, I'm not usually like that.

It has only been recently that I've been a bit more assertive (still trying to get the handle on things. Or rather, still learning to be more assertive about myself.)

I would have to say that enneagram kind of delved into who I am more than MBTI did.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Yes, you can't analyze it from another Type. What's good for one type is often bad for another.

Like this way - this is analyzing the 9 thru the eyes of 5. A Type 9 avoids causing dissonance at all, not shrugging it off after. Type 9s typically can't shrug it off, so they avoid it in the first place. Learning that the overreactions of others are often their issue(s) rather than the 9's is tremendously liberating.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Uh, this is a text-book description of a 5, not a 9. Are you absolutely sure you're a 9?

Both types have trouble asserting themselves and have strategies to deal with the assertions of others, but they manifest in completely different ways:

• 5s are afraid of asserting themselves because they see the world as something that takes more than gives - they feel they don't have the energy or competence to deal with such a loud, chaotic and invasive world directly, and so they withdraw into abstraction, pre-thought and their own private space to keep their outer obligations as simple as possible. This lets them deal with primarily their own interests and thoughts, away from the prying eyes of others. 5s grow as people by learning to trust direct engagement - that they have the energy and strength to deal with whatever the world throws at them on a moment-to-moment basis.

Oh man, don't make me reopen it up again after I finally decided! I identify with parts of both, but I've finally come down on the side of 9. I just don't fit in with the 5s as well as I do the 9s.

9w1 - the dreamer... that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I had the exact same discovery, and also started acting in a similar way when I realized it. It felt like a load off my shoulders.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yes, you can't analyze it from another Type.
    Nonsense, of course you can. And who better to analyze than a type 5?

Like this way - this is analyzing the 9 thru the eyes of 5. A Type 9 avoids causing dissonance at all, not shrugging it off after. Type 9s typically can't shrug it off, so they avoid it in the first place. Learning that the overreactions of others are often their issue(s) rather than the 9's is tremendously liberating.
    Of course being selfish and not caring about how you hurt other people is liberating. That doesn't mean it's progress.
    At the lower end of the Continuum, Nines are a "menace to [their] environment" because, like everyone else, they have a characteristic form of selfishness, although it is more difficult to perceive in Nines than in other types because they are so apparently accommodating to others. The particular form which their selfishness takes is their willingness to sacrifice a great many values—in a sense, their willingingness to sacrifice all of reality—so they can maintain their inner serenity. Being anxious or emotionally stimulated in any way is extraordinarily threatening for average to unhealthy Nines because they are unused to being aware of their feelings. Virtually any kind of emotional reaction disrupts the fullness of their repression, whether the reaction is caused by anxiety, aggression, or something else. The result is that average Nines seek peace at any price, although the price they selfishly but unwittingly pay is that they turn an increasingly blind eye on everyone and everything.
    9w1 - the dreamer... that's me.
    For realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.