• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] INFP 7w6 ?

skylights is...

• 4w3

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 7w6

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • something else!111

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hey guys :]

so the thread i made trying to figure out enfp vs infp was very enlightening, and i was hoping maybe yall could help me clear up some more of my type specifications. for an infp, i'm rather social, have very strong Ne, and i really have no inclination towards the tragic or morbid. i am also an sluai in the global 5.

so, now when i get to the enneagram... well, it's very much between 4w3 and 7w6. i feel aspects of both and am having a hard time pinpointing myself.

at first i thought i was a 4, but then i don't really have any self-loathing, i've kind of always liked being me, even if i wasn't always sure of what being me entailed. i don't really want a "rescuer", though i would like a confidante and partner in crime. on the other hand, i do have envy, and i'm not really as go-getting as 7s sound. i like better to have some close friends with strong agendas and make plans together. i have gluttonous tendencies, but it's more about the inability to choose which option i would rather have than the desire to have all the options.

i sound like a 4-7 mush-mash. help plz :)

here are some things about me:
adjectives: artistic, curious, empathetic, aesthetic, positive, adventure-loving, idealistic
hobbies: student organizations, sorority, painting, violin, web design, editing
generally: happy - sometimes: anxious, silly, curious, irritated (by physical discomfort) - not often: sad, angry (from moral injustice)
how i get when stressed: uptight, terse, controlling, snippy. very focused. having one or just a few other people around almost always makes me feel better.
my favorite feeling: "mystical" connection with something infinite, like when looking out at the moonlit ocean or over endless mountain ranges
my least favorite feeling: being trapped
how i deal with not knowing things: gather all the information i can, analyze it myself, and then poll people for their opinions ;) (srsly though it's true)

thank you <3

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you're 7w6 you should prolly rethink that INFP claim, miss maybe-ENFP ;)

While it is quite uncommon for Fours to mistype as Seven, it is not especially unusual for Sevens to initially mistype as Four. In addition, from an external point of view, more extroverted Fours, primarily those with the Three wing, can, in some settings, look like Sevens and artistic Sevens might resemble Fours. This is because both types can be creative, unconventional, attention seeking and even flamboyant in their presentation. Nevertheless, Fours are far less extroverted than Sevens who truly seek out people as a principle means of distraction. Fours are comfortable with their negative mental states, even sometimes choosing to inhabit them, whereas Sevens are in flight from pain. As a general rule, Sevens tend to overestimate the extent of their suffering and sadness because they find such mental states to be so threatening to their sense of self; they can therefore think of themselves as being more melancholic than they actually are. The melancholy of type Seven is primarily driven by anxiety however, whereas that of type Four has its roots in a feeling of worthlessness.

from here.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From your post you don't sound like a 4 to me.

So ENFP 7w6? ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Agree.:yes:

Plus 4w3 and 7w6 are the most ENFPish enneagram:The Enneagram Blogspot: New! 4w3 vs. 7w6 - Misidentifying

Are you really so sure to be an introvert?

hahaha, yes, that's what confuses me so much!

unless i've vastly misunderstood extravert, i really do think i'm introverted. i'm so much more comfortable in small groups and i love my alone time with nature. i like being a part of bigger groups because i like feeling connected to the whole, but they are more challenging for me to interact in. i also spend so much time inside my own head (though i'm not sure if i ever get anywhere, lol.)

that's a very interesting page, thank you for sharing it! :) though it seems kinda biased towards the 4w3, doesn't it? it makes 7s seem very superficial. i think i'm a 4w3 after the page, but i'm not sure.

arguments toward 4

the thing that stops me from being I'M A SEVEN is that i don't have that disappointed discard reaction, though i can move through things quickly. i think sometimes there's something deep that i'm looking for, and sometimes i can't get it, and that's when i move on. like i took up the violin a little while ago. but it takes a long time to master, i forgot that (you'd think i'd realize this after 10 years of piano lessons). i felt special because my teacher said i was a natural but after a while, i was frustrated and couldn't exude the emotion i wanted to into it and moved on. it wasn't depressive frustration with the violin though - it was with myself for not being able to be a violinist there and then. i still think maybe i'll get back into it, but i pick it up again and am enamored and quickly feel the same frustrations again. i think i need to get a teacher and a set practice schedule if i'm ever to get any good.

i recently realized that i love fantasy because it's a place where i am in control. i choose things i like (and there are so many things i like) and i get to revel in that and visualize that, and then i am full of that and can bring that into the real world. there's always a happy ending there, because i decide that it is so. i can even have those negative emotions i don't like in real life - anger and sadness - and experience them in fantasy because i know it will turn out okay in the end. i know they have a higher purpose. i love bright colors, i love fun and happiness and water and trees and blue skies and mysteries and adventures, and i can have all that anytime i want in fantasy. it seems like such an obvious solution to me.

the thing that stops me from saying I'M A FOUR is the whole thing of self-definition. i have a very hard time choosing what i want because i think i see so many possibilities in myself. i like both the green and the blue. i want to go to both france and greece. it's not because i get bored of either, it's because i feel connected to both. i can feel connected to anything, really. the other thing is that there are some things i know about myself that i don't want to share. i'm bi, and i don't exude that because i'm terrified of rejection (wimpy, yeah, i know). i would love to, but i don't want to lose the people i love. can a 4 reject self-definition for acceptance?

arguments toward 7

when i was little i had this endless search for the perfect toy. i thought it would somehow... make things right, i guess. that it would fulfill me. i got close, but of course i never found it. i still kind of have that desire, i'm looking for the perfect necklace. i don't know why. somehow it will represent me, complete me, fill some kind of emptiness i feel. i'm kind of ignoring the endless search right now, but it pops back into my head regularly enough. i think the logical part of me knows full well this is a problem that cannot actually be solved with a physical thing, but... well, it's soothing to keep trying.

i'm always working on some kind of project, too. at least one, usually several. right now it's typology, lol. and even in mbti i have a hard time defining myself because i like everything and want to be everything. i can be introverted and extraverted. i am feeling but i'm also logical. i am intuitive but i'm also an artist and love hearing-touching-feeling-seeing-smelling. i am definitely a P, lol. but i wish i were more of a J. i like being an INFP because it makes me feel special to have this little niche, but i don't like limiting myself either. and self-definition... well, isn't that limitation in a lot of ways?

i also just love adventure. give me a new place to expore! give me a puzzle to figure out, i'll have it done in record time (as long as i don't get frustrated/bored). like i said, i kind of love everything. so my drive to explore is finding things i like and that are fun to me, and again i guess it's endless not because i get bored but because i want to revel in more things that i like. and that suggests 7 to me. i love where i live but i know that there are other things i love out there and i want to experience those too.

end

and i guess that's what i can't decide. we all have an emptiness... mine is that i want to be a part of everything and i want everything to be a part of me.

:huh:

anyway thank you <3

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A 7 can be Introverted, a 7 can satisfy his or her desire for external stimulation without having to deal with other people.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I have read very little of your posts and even I know you're an ENFP.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have read very little of your posts and even I know you're an ENFP.

hahahaha okayyy. i just don't seem like one in real life i guess, lol

thanks for your help :]]]

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i see in many ways how i could be enfp. but i think the problems i have are...

- i was an ifp child. sooo ifp.
- i need to recharge after being around people
- i come up with my grand visualizations on my own
- i spend so much time in my own head
- i keep a tight rein on what i show others (my dad, after 20 years of knowing me, still cannot tell when i am startled or nervous. though he is intp)

perhaps i am this...

Type 4: The Romantic

As a Romantic, your “mission” is to regain the “lost” ideal love or situation, and, at the most fundamental level, your original connection to essence itself. Your self-esteem and well-being depend upon compensating for these “losses” and “inner lack” through the driving forces of envy and longing. You search for what is authentic and meaningful to compensate for the “loss” of the original connections.

Self-preservation: Reckless/dauntless

How can being reckless and dauntless serve survival? For the Romantic, to be ordinary, mundane or regular feels like death. You must be a “somebody” or “something” by finding meaning and authenticity in what you do. You assuage your envy by playing the edge, walking the cliff, throwing caution to the winds or jumping into new situations – whatever will provide a sense of authenticity. You even may neglect your basic survival needs. In this way you feel enlivened and special – your life is meaningful and intense. You have a reckless urgency to obtain those ultimate and uniquely elite experiences that make you feel alive and quell longing. Even the ordinary events get a jazzed-up spin or dramatic flare. Perhaps you create a mini-crisis with big feelings by threatening rejection or breaking the ordinary rules. You temporarily dissolve or defy envy – “Not me, I won’t succumb.” At your worst, your self-absorption in recklessness paradoxically can lead to disastrous outcomes and a re-emergence of a sense of inner lack and depression.

--

except i don't really create crises. i do like elite experiences though. i'm kind of snobby, though i don't think anyone would ever guess it of me. it's just inside... i like feeling special and privileged (insert eye roll at self here)

Type 7: The Epicure

As an Epicure, you cannot stand limitations. You attempt to assure a good life and survival through gluttony for interesting interrelated ideas, fascinating future possibilities and adventures. You express an outer-directed upbeat energy while rationalizing your defenses.

this speaks to me too, but the whole extraversion thing... :doh:

i really am now thinking i am infp and 4w3, but y'all are thinking otherwise???

sytpg do you know what makes you think i'm enfp? i'm curious :]

Tom

MBTI Type
Jipe
Enneagram
Memb
I know very little about Enneagram types, so I can't help you there.

I'd be very surprised though, if you're an INFP.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
sytpg do you know what makes you think i'm enfp? i'm curious :]

It's one of those intuitively-arrived-to conclusions that are made out of the piece of little vague ideas that you don't even consciously think of.

But I'd say, how much you write, your giddiness/the light way in which you speak, the smileys, lack of capitalization, the fact you are wondering if you are 7w6. If you tested as 7w6 there's a very strong chance you are ENFP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahahaha okayyy. i just don't seem like one in real life i guess, lol

thanks for your help :]]]

yeah...i'm not super obviously an extravert either it's confusing but i am and so are you. :smile:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's one of those intuitively-arrived-to conclusions that are made out of the piece of little vague ideas that you don't even consciously think of.

But I'd say, how much you write, your giddiness/the light way in which you speak, the smileys, lack of capitalization, the fact you are wondering if you are 7w6. If you tested as 7w6 there's a very strong chance you are ENFP.

hehe sorry of course it's an intuition thing. i should know :blush:

thanks again though! yeah i kind of talk like that in real life too, not super serious all the time even though i am reserved, so that makes sense. and yeah i can write a lotttttt, i always feel the desire to share more once i get over social anxiety, i guess that pretty much proves E hahaha

Lady X said:
yeah...i'm not super obviously an extravert either it's confusing but i am and so are you. :smile:

haha that's good to hear. i've read lately that enfp is the "introverted extravert" and that would be accurate for me! :] your posts make me smile btw, the ones that i've read. you seem very full of smart-happy. :yes:

Flutterby

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Dude, I've told you before you don't have to be one or the other. From wikipedia:

Ambiversion is a term used to describe people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups.

If I was you I'd forget about the I/E thing, if you feel you are both you are probably right! (And who is going to know you better than you?)

As for the enneagram, I actually find it more helpful to approach it using two different wings. Eg. I'm a five, but I have a very strong four wing and a quite strong six wing as well. So, if you're split between four and seven, take a look at the wings on *both* sides.

In my opinion, a four should have a three wing and a five wing.
Which means a seven should have a six wing and an eight wing.
Look I could be wrong, but I have found this to be the case for myself and my friends.
Theoretically speaking, if my theory is correct, could you see yourself as three/four/five or six/seven/eight? I almost always find that you when you look at two wings instead of one it will become clearer.

This test may also help:

Free Enneagram Test
(Scroll down a heap to get to the questions.)

The really helpful thing about this test is it gives you a little mini graphs at the end of it.
If you look at the graphs you should see that there will be three in a row that will be relatively high, even if you are strong in other areas also. The middle one of these three should be what you are, in theory. (Just talking from my own results here, if you think it doesn't look right for you then it probably isn't.)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Another thing is that your instinctual variants (sp, sx, so) might be influencing your main E-type. For example, an introverted 5 with so-first might seem more extraverted than 'normal' 5s.

So if you're an sp-first 7, you might have more 'introverted' characteristics than the typical 7. Or if you're a sx-last 4, you might not be as 'intense' as most 4s.

Just an idea :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dude, I've told you before you don't have to be one or the other. From wikipedia:

Ambiversion is a term used to describe people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups.

If I was you I'd forget about the I/E thing, if you feel you are both you are probably right! (And who is going to know you better than you?)

i guessss i think i just want to fit in somewhere you know? :emot-emo:

As for the enneagram, I actually find it more helpful to approach it using two different wings. Eg. I'm a five, but I have a very strong four wing and a quite strong six wing as well. So, if you're split between four and seven, take a look at the wings on *both* sides.

In my opinion, a four should have a three wing and a five wing.
Which means a seven should have a six wing and an eight wing.
Look I could be wrong, but I have found this to be the case for myself and my friends.
Theoretically speaking, if my theory is correct, could you see yourself as three/four/five or six/seven/eight? I almost always find that you when you look at two wings instead of one it will become clearer.

This test may also help:

Free Enneagram Test
(Scroll down a heap to get to the questions.)

The really helpful thing about this test is it gives you a little mini graphs at the end of it.
If you look at the graphs you should see that there will be three in a row that will be relatively high, even if you are strong in other areas also. The middle one of these three should be what you are, in theory. (Just talking from my own results here, if you think it doesn't look right for you then it probably isn't.)

thanks! i like your theory; it's very interesting.

i think i am a better fit between five and three (so a 4) but honestly i was just reading that 4 thread and there was some nice poetry but in general i reallyyyy don't get it.

If you feel like a pathological freak, but also embrace and foster your freakiness, you are probably a four. [...] My heart needs to bleed in order for me to feel alive. [...] I am attracted to suffering and sadness. Give me depth or give me death, basically.
[...]
Strip away everything you ever believed in or thought or felt until nothing is left, then try to determine if you were ever really there...
[...]
Being a 4 is difficult. Its like having a deep, deep craving for contact, for someone to reaaaallly understand me... but doubting that anyone ever will. I'm afraid that if someone actually sees the crazy chaos that goes on inside of me they'll freak out and run away, away, away. That they won't be able to understand my need to delve as deeply into the hurt as I can before I can make sense of it and come to terms with it... and that I may sometimes revisit the pain just to make sure that my interpretation of it hasn't changed since last time we visited together.
[...]
If you give me something good, I will fuck it up.

yeah i really have no idea what they're talking about. depth to me is connection with the universe or with another person, not suffering and sadness. i see beauty in sacrifice for love and values, certainly, but not so much in the sadness of it as the faith in the greater picture of it. i don't think i fuck things up. i'm kinda spacey and make dumb mistakes and my perfectionist side gets annoyed sometimes, but i don't think i screw things over at a deep level. actually i'm pretty universally competent, not to sound like an ass :D i want to hug 4s for feeling this way, but i... don't feel it too :/

on the other hand,
On a very deep level, Sevens do not feel that they can find what they really want in life.
[...]
Having two weeks for a vacation and a desire to visit Europe brings a similar quandary. Which countries and cities to visit? Which sites to see? The Seven’s way of dealing with this will be to cram as many different countries, cities, and attractions into his vacation as possible.

LOL that would be me .__.

and actually now that i think about it, my 3ness isn't really so much about productivity/success as it is being respected and having status and power, which sounds kind of 8ish. i don't really have any desire to do the work to get there. my 4ness mainly comes, i think, because i am NFP and an artist. not particularly creative(original), but artistic. 6 would make a lot of sense now that i read this. admittedly i am kind of passive aggressive. a 6 wing would account for being more introverted too - my hyper is more on the inside than the outside, really. of course i can see myself in all the enneagram points, which really suggests 7! lol. my suspicion is 7w6 sx/so :]

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

While I don't deny that ambiversion exists, in this theory you HAVE to be E or I. That determines what your dominant function is and generally your entire order. You can't have two of either...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another thing is that your instinctual variants (sp, sx, so) might be influencing your main E-type. For example, an introverted 5 with so-first might seem more extraverted than 'normal' 5s.

So if you're an sp-first 7, you might have more 'introverted' characteristics than the typical 7. Or if you're a sx-last 4, you might not be as 'intense' as most 4s.

Just an idea :)

yes! thanks for the point. i was just looking into the instinctual variants. it gets tricky, there are so many different types. i think maybe 7w6 sx would help to explain my reservedness and desire to have a person or small group around all the time and to always share but not being comfortable in bigger groups for fear/expectation of rejection.