• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] 5w4... Thoughts/Personal Experiences?

The_World_As_Will

So a few questions to you all. What are your experiences with 5w4's specifically 5w4 sx/so types. do you think the descriptions below are accurate. What thoughts/ideas/pictures come to mind when you read about them. I'm curious to gather more information about the type, and since i am one, perhaps a deeper understanding of myself.

sx/so

This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy. They may identify so strongly with whatever they're involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change. Hardly content with the status quo, this subvariant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it's purest or most extreme form. Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries. They enjoy pushing other's buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression. It's not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they're able to support with heartfelt conviction. May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it. While prone to exhibitionism, they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability. Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this subvariant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.

Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.
Familiar roles: provocateur, activist, exhibitionist

Examples of sx/so: Madonna, John Lennon, Yukio Mishima, Robin Williams, Drew Barrymore, Richard Simmons, Elvis, Bono, George Michael, Sinead O'Connor, Joan of Arc.

5w4 sx/so "Revolution" contributed by jase

The most creatively energized and outspoken of Fives, they conceive of outlandish and idealistic alternatives to a reality they find deeply unfulfilling for the most part, and like to exhibit these radical visions, possibly through an art form if not through direct advocacy. Many sx/soc 5w4's are responsible for revolutionizing their creative fields, for better or worse. They aren't always comfortable in the visionary roles they might find themselves in, and may escape to extended periods of withdrawal to regain a sense of independence and security. This kind of retreat can surprise those who have mistaken them for a more conventionally driven, extroverted personality.

Personally, I think the description of 5w4 sx/so is pretty spot on, especially the attraction to radical patterns of thought, But i do think the above description only scratches the surface... sigh, i guess this proves that I am a five wanting more information haha, would love input from others :)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I identify with a lot of that, although I've always thought myself to be 5w4 sx/sp.

I see just about all of it in myself, except I lean a little more towards the "withdrawing to regain independence and security". I don't do this just once in a while, I do it often. So, I'm just as intense, creative, and willing to push the envelope (fight for change, etc, etc.), but I'm not quite as social as what I read in these descriptions. I retreat a little bit more. The description seems to imply that the sx/so seek to attach to the outer world and then retreat when necessary. I'm more likely to stay detached and then seek to attach when I find it necessary or desirable.

When I read the descriptions, it gives me an image of a more outgoing INTP than myself - maybe more comfortable and willing to pursue things that involve people, but still very similar to myself. Interesting read!

The_World_As_Will

Thanks for replying, I thought this thread would get more responses, hopefully it shall. Yeah I agree it's a real eye-opener, wish it could have went into more detail but perhaps i'm just being a bit too hopeful?.

I really agree with this "The most creatively energized and outspoken of Fives, they conceive of outlandish and idealistic alternatives to a reality they find deeply unfulfilling for the most part" Sigh, definitely sums up my life for the past few months, like a constant battle (dramatic yes i know) between boundless optimism and utter nihilism. wonder if it's an 5w4 thing solely or a mixture of being a 5w4, an INTP, and perhaps, at-least personally for me, being on the autistic spectrum, I hear such feelings are common.

the soulless one

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Can't say too much since I am not sure for my own stacking, entirely. Jumping around to all different variants, I feel the most confident as sx (though some deluded people on other enneagram sites think they know me enough from one post to say I am so/sp, but that's another story).

Though I can't say for certain if I am more sx/sp or sx/so. I can identify with both descriptions and think I know some sx/so 5w4s who are a bit more flirty and have a somewhat larger network of friends than what I am used to (I have a very difficult time creating long term social contacts which sx/so type fives may have a number of who they correspond with fairly often). I think I am more sx/sp, but even so, I would like to see people's input in what really makes the sx/so variant apparent.

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So a few questions to you all.
What are your experiences with 5w4's specifically 5w4 sx/so types.

Quite difficult at times.
I responded to a question posed on an INFJ yahoo group once supposing
"I'd imagine that most people have personalities that annoy them."
with
"Yeah, but it's the only one I've got!"

I've tested as a 5w4 on the enneagram and an INTP on the MBTI.

Yes, the description fits in both cases.
But it's the only personality I've got ... so it seems I'm stuck with it.
Last tag ... I'm it.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I'm a 5w4 of the sp/so variety.

People easily mistake me for an INTP. INTPs and INTJs do this. I have a feeling I unsettle people a bit. Like they don't really know what to do with me. I wouldn't say they dislike me, though.

Also, I <3 questions...questions questions questions. Direct, raw, going to the heart of the matter, finding new ways of looking at things, undermining the established answer - questions are like crack to me. I am *interested*. And enjoy exploring that which makes me feel uncomfortable like the description says. So I suppose that it makes sense for other people to feel a little unsettled. Oh so questionable. :p

The_World_As_Will

I'm a 5w4 of the sp/so variety.

People easily mistake me for an INTP. INTPs and INTJs do this. I have a feeling I unsettle people a bit. Like they don't really know what to do with me. I wouldn't say they dislike me, though.

Also, I <3 questions...questions questions questions. Direct, raw, going to the heart of the matter, finding new ways of looking at things, undermining the established answer - questions are like crack to me. I am *interested*. And enjoy exploring that which makes me feel uncomfortable like the description says. So I suppose that it makes sense for other people to feel a little unsettled. Oh so questionable. :p

Hey!, Thanks for responding, thought this thread was dead for a moment

lol I'd agree, Honestly I don't see what's so wrong about asking questions, getting to the heart of the matter, going to the furtherest depths. It's innovative, and nuanced, and well really intriguing, perhaps we are both 5w4s and well that's what we do, go to the heart of the matter... eh i guess it can be seen as too uncomfortable for some, but really what do they have to hide? nothing that would surprised me. "Oh, you killed three children?, hmm what made you do that" in a calm tone =D but that's just me.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Hey!, Thanks for responding, thought this thread was dead for a moment

I think maybe people aren't completely sure what you're asking. Moar questions!

"Oh, you killed three children?, hmm what made you do that" in a calm tone =D but that's just me.

Yup...I would have a similar response...but I'm no elitist, I find "banal" behaviour to be equally interesting and valuable as aberrant behaviour...in fact I just classify it all under "behaviour". Tormented artists are great, but so are middle-aged secretaries. People that only notice or experience the extra-ordinary always make me a little wary. Blindness bothers me to the point that I'm stuck in perceiving mode too often.

5(w4) moment of the day: I had this idea to start two stories with the same sentence/opening scene - one in Dutch (mother tongue) and one in English - and then let them evolve to see if I could draw any conclusions about the connection between language (culture) and story content and form.

Rachel

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, i tend to ask quite a few questions, and this tends to surprise people. They think it weird while i think it necessary or we, humanity, won't learn. I tend to ask very provocative questions (make everyone think). And i seem to do this more than most.

The_World_As_Will

Yeah, i tend to ask quite a few questions, and this tends to surprise people. They think it weird while i think it necessary or we, humanity, won't learn. I tend to ask very provocative questions (make everyone think). And i seem to do this more than most.

Hi there Rachel, Thanks for responding!, ah Yes I do the same. Although asking provocative questions is always a good thing IMO (others don't think so :/). Do you think that you do this because you want to make an impact, or perhaps a way to test the waters with others?. I think this kind of 'probing' comes off as pretty intense for people... but Intensity can be a good thing, What do you think?.

Rachel

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
5w4
Hi there Rachel, Thanks for responding!, ah Yes I do the same. Although asking provocative questions is always a good thing IMO (others don't think so :/). Do you think that you do this because you want to make an impact, or perhaps a way to test the waters with others?. I think this kind of 'probing' comes off as pretty intense for people... but Intensity can be a good thing, What do you think?.

I ask questions because i want to make an impact. I guess i want others realize that there is more than one way to think about a particular issue or topic. I do it as a way to test the waters as well. Sometimes, i'm just curious what people think - it helps me to learn more about people and indirectly what shapes culture, attitudes, and feelings.

Intensity can be good but it depends on who, how, and why. I think too much intensity can make others uncomfortable and feel imposed upon which is understandable. On the other hand, sometimes intensity makes others more aware of how important something is. Additionally, intensity is a way for individuals to express passionate interests/beliefs - show a part of our personality; express those things which we find important.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I identify with a lot of that, although I've always thought myself to be 5w4 sx/sp.

I see just about all of it in myself, except I lean a little more towards the "withdrawing to regain independence and security". I don't do this just once in a while, I do it often. So, I'm just as intense, creative, and willing to push the envelope (fight for change, etc, etc.), but I'm not quite as social as what I read in these descriptions. I retreat a little bit more. The description seems to imply that the sx/so seek to attach to the outer world and then retreat when necessary. I'm more likely to stay detached and then seek to attach when I find it necessary or desirable.

When I read the descriptions, it gives me an image of a more outgoing INTP than myself - maybe more comfortable and willing to pursue things that involve people, but still very similar to myself. Interesting read!

I'll expand on this idea a bit.

Regarding intensity, I won't deny feeling it, but at the same time would suggest that it rarely affects others (from my perspective as an sp/so) because I withdraw so often. I'd like to get into those who bowl other 5s over, because that's way more frequent an occurrence for me.

I think people misinterpret this as shyness. In response, I'd say that I just strongly prefer learning what I want to know about them without their explicitly verbalized permission. Make slight contact. Listen to a portion while absorbing other signals. Cut loose.

Not for sale. Well, maybe.