User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Enneagram 5 - observing the world

I was reading the E5 description on 9 types:
    http://www.9types.com/descr/5/

and it really rang true when it said that we "watch events from a detached point of view, gathering information"

That explains why I always like to sit in the back of classrooms and other events so that I can "see everything". If I sit in the front, I feel like I'm missing something behind me. I want to be able to see the whole thing and watch.

How much do you guys do this? It really is wierd if you think about it from say, a "normal person's" perspective. "Hey come join us." "Um, no, I'm going to sit in the back by myself so I can watch you."
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I don't do those things, in fact I avoid them. I do analyse things all the time, including things I witness first-hand, but I'm quite easily confused by much going on around me at once, can't keep track of it.

For example although I'm very good at reading body language when studying that soley, I don't know how to interpret social interactions sometimes because no moment of body language happens in isolation, you've got to interpret it within the context of everything else that's happened and is happening.

That probably contributes to my introversion actually. Not the social interpretation thing, people merely find me non-threateningly oblivious as a result of that, just getting easily cognitively 'lost' in general when I'm not in control of the inflow of data.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    That explains why I always like to sit in the back of classrooms and other events so that I can "see everything". If I sit in the front, I feel like I'm missing something behind me. I want to be able to see the whole thing and watch.

How much do you guys do this? It really is wierd if you think about it from say, a "normal person's" perspective. "Hey come join us." "Um, no, I'm going to sit in the back by myself so I can watch you."
    I do it often enough. When confronted with, "hey, come join us", my usual response is to refuse since I have better (or at least more pressing) things to do. If it is unavoidable to join in, however, I am much more comfortable watching from a distance and not getting directly involved. Even if I do get involved, somehow I am able to maintain that distance, observing the event as if the "I" participating is a separate person.

(BTW I seem to be 5w6 in Enneagram.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp

Yes. This. I do this quite frequently. I love studying people and observing the world!! I do social experiments on people sometimes as well >_>

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

I probably used to do this, but whenever I notice myself becoming too antisocial I try to consciously keep it in check. actually kinda proud of myself, i'm getting a lot better at being social.
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

For sure, a need to "know everything" reflects that need to stand outside the action and watch from afar - so you can internalise it in your own mind.

It also betrays a sense of not really feeling like you're a part of what's going on around you - it's like you're watching it on a TV screen, it doesn't occur to you to intervene -and if it did, it can be scary to do so. I've often seen descriptions of being "drained" very easily by other people, and I suppose that's what you're trying to avoid in those moments.

The inverse is to let go of knowing everything, and let feelings & intuition lead the way - to not be afraid of being "seen" or engaged with. Suddenly, it's not about conserving energy, but about feeding off the natural give and take of it all. It can be invigorating to not think all the time and just let things move as loud and as fast as they want to. It's also interesting to realise just how much wonderful stuff you're holding back, often out of habit & for no good reason. It's rather silly, really.

Anyway! /flies away
    Hello