• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Enneagram 5 - observing the world

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was reading the E5 description on 9 types:
http://www.9types.com/descr/5/

and it really rang true when it said that we "watch events from a detached point of view, gathering information"

That explains why I always like to sit in the back of classrooms and other events so that I can "see everything". If I sit in the front, I feel like I'm missing something behind me. I want to be able to see the whole thing and watch.

How much do you guys do this? It really is wierd if you think about it from say, a "normal person's" perspective. "Hey come join us." "Um, no, I'm going to sit in the back by myself so I can watch you."

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't do those things, in fact I avoid them. I do analyse things all the time, including things I witness first-hand, but I'm quite easily confused by much going on around me at once, can't keep track of it.

For example although I'm very good at reading body language when studying that soley, I don't know how to interpret social interactions sometimes because no moment of body language happens in isolation, you've got to interpret it within the context of everything else that's happened and is happening.

That probably contributes to my introversion actually. Not the social interpretation thing, people merely find me non-threateningly oblivious as a result of that, just getting easily cognitively 'lost' in general when I'm not in control of the inflow of data.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That explains why I always like to sit in the back of classrooms and other events so that I can "see everything". If I sit in the front, I feel like I'm missing something behind me. I want to be able to see the whole thing and watch.

How much do you guys do this? It really is wierd if you think about it from say, a "normal person's" perspective. "Hey come join us." "Um, no, I'm going to sit in the back by myself so I can watch you."
I do it often enough. When confronted with, "hey, come join us", my usual response is to refuse since I have better (or at least more pressing) things to do. If it is unavoidable to join in, however, I am much more comfortable watching from a distance and not getting directly involved. Even if I do get involved, somehow I am able to maintain that distance, observing the event as if the "I" participating is a separate person.

(BTW I seem to be 5w6 in Enneagram.)

christicake

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. This. I do this quite frequently. I love studying people and observing the world!! I do social experiments on people sometimes as well >_>

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I probably used to do this, but whenever I notice myself becoming too antisocial I try to consciously keep it in check. actually kinda proud of myself, i'm getting a lot better at being social.

VagrantFarce

For sure, a need to "know everything" reflects that need to stand outside the action and watch from afar - so you can internalise it in your own mind.

It also betrays a sense of not really feeling like you're a part of what's going on around you - it's like you're watching it on a TV screen, it doesn't occur to you to intervene -and if it did, it can be scary to do so. I've often seen descriptions of being "drained" very easily by other people, and I suppose that's what you're trying to avoid in those moments.

The inverse is to let go of knowing everything, and let feelings & intuition lead the way - to not be afraid of being "seen" or engaged with. Suddenly, it's not about conserving energy, but about feeding off the natural give and take of it all. It can be invigorating to not think all the time and just let things move as loud and as fast as they want to. It's also interesting to realise just how much wonderful stuff you're holding back, often out of habit & for no good reason. It's rather silly, really.

Anyway! /flies away

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have always felt like an oddball in the world and don't know how to participate. Being in the background is more or less my comfort zone, learning about the way things work, learning about people, but not really being too involve. In group settings where I am not really part of the group, I find myself listening in, taking in what goes on, having my own thoughts but not actively taking part. At rare times when I reveal things I was aware of, people are shocked and creeped out by how much I take in. I guess it's just a way I have learned to adapt.