User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    xNFP

Default 9s need to feel pain to feel better?

I know that it's a natural thing for 9s to tune themselves out to pain, because it helps them get through it, but is it healthy? Is it better to avoid falling into that state of numbness and just dealing with the pain?

The reason I ask is because I'll feel like I'm over something that was really painful, but I'll randomly feel a sting from it one night, but then withdraw from it and I feel perfectly fine again. It's really confusing and don't know if it's very healthy to feel so out of tune, even though it feels like it's the best way to heal.
    eNFP 9w8 sx/sp

~Don't ignore the truth, it will set you free.

~10% of life is what happens to you, 90% of life is how you deal with it.

I don't know if it's to "feel better" I would imagine the extreme is what you should be avoiding, i.e. numbing everything out just to feel better, to the detriment of yourself and those around you. I don't think you actually need to embrace pain, you probably just need something to jolt yourself back to reality every now and then.

p.s. This is hardly sage advice, but you reminded me of it and I felt like posting it:

[youtube=uuiKJ0rRTAo]Chemical Burn[/youtube]
    Hello

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I'm a 9 as well, and I definitely know what you're talking about. Sometimes I even wonder if the pain is automatically filtered out nowadays Even if I -try- to focus on something that bothers me it just... whoosh! It just vanishes. I also wonder if that's just because a few years ago after a bit of a rough time, everything pales in to comparison. I drop it and move on because... well, it isn't that big of a deal.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yeah, I tend to push it to the back of my mind and it doesn't bother me much until something reminds me of it and there the pain is almost fresh as ever. I have no idea how to process it, really.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yeah, I tend to push it to the back of my mind and it doesn't bother me much until something reminds me of it and there the pain is almost fresh as ever. I have no idea how to process it, really.
    Yeah... that's it... It's pretty frustrating, but I wouldn't even know where to start.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

With passive-aggression!

j/k I find it tends to fade.

MBTI
    ISTP

Pain makes you feel alive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

As a 9 I don't need pain, I just need to listen to it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Pain makes you feel alive.
    I have a low tolerance for stimuli, so my mom's mashed potatoes can make me feel rapturously alive. Pain is not the good kind of feeling alive.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I don't know if it's to "feel better" I would imagine the extreme is what you should be avoiding, i.e. numbing everything out just to feel better, to the detriment of yourself and those around you. I don't think you actually need to embrace pain, you probably just need something to jolt yourself back to reality every now and then.

p.s. This is hardly sage advice, but you reminded me of it and I felt like posting it:

[youtube=uuiKJ0rRTAo]Chemical Burn[/youtube]

Wow, powerful video O_O

And yeah, by "feel better" I meant to feel...more human? I just feel so cold, being unable to feel intense emotions as much anymore.
    eNFP 9w8 sx/sp

~Don't ignore the truth, it will set you free.

~10% of life is what happens to you, 90% of life is how you deal with it.