• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Is it possible to be 2 types?

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
My bf has all the characteristics of an 5w4 sometimes and then switches to what looks just like 7w8. Its honestly about half and half. What's weird is he seems conflicted between the two, like he wants to behave & be identified by the behavior of 4w5 sometimes with total certainty, but then want the qualities of 7w8 at other times.

He generally has the 5w4 behavior when he is getting alone time or recharging, and also when he's depressed. Then the 7w8 comes out when he has energy & feels like socializing.

What's going on here?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can identify with a similar problem...

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My bf has all the characteristics of an 5w4 sometimes and then switches to what looks just like 7w8.

What's going on here?

Check out: Enneagram Institute: Enneagram Testing & Training

5's direction of integration is 8, while its direction of disintegration is 7. So, a 5 would very likely exhibit the characteristics of 7/8. There's nothing unusual about this; it doesn't mean they're not still a 5.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Isnt he an ISTP?

5 probably describes his dom Ti behaviour while 7 describes his aux Se behaviour.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Rather than thinking "he must be two types", such an experience wold make me decide either 1.) I don't understand this personality well enough or 2.) The theory goes out the window.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My bf has all the characteristics of an 5w4 sometimes and then switches to what looks just like 7w8. Its honestly about half and half. What's weird is he seems conflicted between the two, like he wants to behave & be identified by the behavior of 4w5 sometimes with total certainty, but then want the qualities of 7w8 at other times.

He generally has the 5w4 behavior when he is getting alone time or recharging, and also when he's depressed. Then the 7w8 comes out when he has energy & feels like socializing.

What's going on here?

Well 5 and 7 are connected, but in a negative way. 7 integrates into 5, which basically means that a 7 will take on the positive traits of the 5 when they feel confident and comfortable in a situation. It's the flip side for type 5's, when they are uncomfortable or in stress they will take on negative traits of the 7.

Here's a question though, what does he exactly do when he acts like a 5 or acts like a 7?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If a system is made correctly, no.

I think this problem may come up with the Enneagram a lot because the type profiles are described by more variables than 9 types can actually encompass.

However, the type descriptions in the Enneagram are pretty mutually exclusive. So I can see how you might have a hard time figuring out which type someone is, but not why you might think someone is two types.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People can sometimes behave in a way that their real type doesn't condone due to pressure from external variables to change their behavior.

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Isnt he an ISTP?

5 probably describes his dom Ti behaviour while 7 describes his aux Se behaviour.

This seems the most likely.

I am sure of how well I know him, and this isn't an issue of me taking enneagram too seriously. I understand there are variables & behavior that can't be attached into type. This was a question I brought up because, one: He seems to deviate 50/50... so I honestly can't tell whether its more 5 to 7 or 7 to 5. two: I don't have a thorough understanding of the connections between expressing 7 behaviors when you're more a 5 or visa versa. So the post has served its purpose.