• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] 1 for all and all for 1

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...or not. Enneagram Type 1s seem to have a bit of a problem forming any significant solidarity, with themselves or others around here.

It seems to me that type 1 must be among the rarest types on this forum (in terms of how people identify themselves, anyhow). Certainly the 3 is rarer, but I think 1 may be in second place, perhaps only 2 or 6 compete for that spot, but I'm pretty sure they're more common.

On a separate forum, I found a poll asking people which enneagram type they found the hardest identify with or relate to. The type 1 lead the poll.

So, it sounds like there's a bit of an image and influence problem here. Obscure and misunderstood. I'm a 1 myself (of this I'm confident to the point of thinking I got lucky) so naturally this trend catches my eye. It makes me reflect a lot.

So here are two things this thread might do if anyone bothers to post:
1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.
2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

Some specific questions for other types might be:
What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?
What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Second question pokes me.

I thought I was a 1 for a few years.

The easiest thing for me to relate to in 1s has always been the reformist aspect. Stubborn idealism a-la-1 is pretty cool, especially compared to the stubborn idealism of ENFPs that's so common.

The "self discipline" is something that just doesn't read with me. I don't get it at all.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Magic, i'm guessing you're a 1w9?

The easiest thing for me to relate to in 1s has always been the reformist aspect. Stubborn idealism a-la-1 is pretty cool, especially compared to the stubborn idealism of ENFPs that's so common.

The "self discipline" is something that just doesn't read with me. I don't get it at all.

So do you almost mean you related to the 1w2? (the advocate). I think the 1w9 has more self discipline aspects, where as the 1w2 has more reformer aspects (though 1w9s still desire to reform things they dont see as "right").

whats your wing? whats your MBTI code?

Type One in Brief

Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

* Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
* Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
* Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
* Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"

Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), methodical Ones suddenly become moody and irrational at Four. However, when moving in their Direction of Integration (growth), angry, critical Ones become more spontaneous and joyful, like healthy Sevens.

I bolded everything that resonates with me the strongest. I'm a 1w9 sp/sx. I actually think the 1w9 is a more important part of my personality than MBTI or socionics is because my enneagram type (though I have been confused at times) is much more consistent. I can easily, clearly and retrospectively see all of the 1w9 aspects intertwined with all stages of my life. The MBTI has instead been easily affected by my environment, my stress and energy levels. The enneagram type just seems more "all encompassing".

1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.

I think the 1 is almost like the reverse melting pot of the enneagram. There is less of a "typical ennea/mbti pair" that would stereotype us. With the ennea 1 being so "accommodating to various typological types", it leaves us as trying to be all things to all types. Sometimes it might leave us looking like we have no identity. Of course, we do have an identity. Its an identity that seeks to be above condemnation by always being right, seeking the right answer and sometimes correcting everyone else's wrong answer. Again, sometimes these right answers can be oppositional to each other, making us look like hypocrites or even rule books. "How can they be so into doing 'everything' right in such different realms of thought/action/belief???". It looks like we are trying too hard, being too judgemental and having too much pride in a know-it-all existence all at the same time. Thats just how it looks though. Interestingly enough, I once read that a big difference between 1s and 3s is that 1s couldnt promote themselves even if they tried, where as 3s cant help it!

2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

I think most types do not understand the 1. It especially muddies up the waters on certain MBTI types, "you arent the typical INTP/ENFJ/ENTJ/INFJetc are you?"

Some specific questions for other types might be:
What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?

I think our most honorable trait is the desire to be "right" even when its against our cause (admitting to your own ideologies faults for example). Think how valuable this is in something like politics or anywhere when we are leading people with some ethics in mind. Our most deplorable trait might be that sometimes in our own search to be right, we bring others down with us through critiquing people even when its not totally necessary.

What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?

I think the idea of being conscientious might be the easiest ennea 1 idea for non 1s to understand...

LIST:
Magic 1w??? sx/sp???
Disregard 1w???
Babylon Candle 1w9 sp/sx
Proteanmix 1w2???
HeatherC??? 1w2???

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magic, i'm guessing you're a 1w9?

I don't know. You can see elsewhere that I don't really care much for the wings. Anyhow, in my experience I've tilted back and forth. There's a contextual problem. Dealing with most people I seem more 1w9, dealing with people I'm emotionally attached to I'm more 1w2. I guess you can put me down as 1w9 since that context is much more typical.

I bolded everything that resonates with me the strongest. I'm a 1w9 sp/sx. I actually think the 1w9 is a more important part of my personality than MBTI or socionics is because my enneagram type (though I have been confused at times) is much more consistent. I can easily, clearly and retrospectively see all of the 1w9 aspects intertwined with all stages of my life. The MBTI has instead been easily affected by my environment, my stress and energy levels. The enneagram type just seems more "all encompassing".

I've found the Enneagram more accurate for me, too. I don't think it actually proves anything about the system, but rather it's why I said I'm lucky. I just happen to be someone for whom one of the Enneagram descriptions is perfectly fitting.

And by the way, I'm I-P-S, which I suppose you would called sx/sp.

I think the 1 is almost like the reverse melting pot of the enneagram. There is less of a "typical ennea/mbti pair" that would stereotype us. With the ennea 1 being so "accommodating to various typological types", it leaves us as trying to be all things to all types. Sometimes it might leave us looking like we have no identity. Of course, we do have an identity. Its an identity that seeks to be above condemnation by always being right, seeking the right answer and sometimes correcting everyone else's wrong answer. Again, sometimes these right answers can be oppositional to each other, making us look like hypocrites or even rule books. "How can they be so into doing 'everything' right in such different realms of thought/action/belief???". It looks like we are trying too hard, being too judgemental and having too much pride in a know-it-all existence all at the same time. Thats just how it looks though. Interestingly enough, I once read that a big difference between 1s and 3s is that 1s couldnt promote themselves even if they tried, where as 3s cant help it!

People online seem to try to hard to make sense of the MBTI-Enneagram correlation. It needs to be better understood that these are unrelated and asymetrical systems, and any relationship between the types of either system is fairly spurious. There may be some rough correlations, but there is no designtated type for another type, and you can't really use the one system to figure out a person's type in the other system.

I think most types do not understand the 1. It especially muddies up the waters on certain MBTI types, "you arent the typical INTP/ENFJ/ENTJ/INFJetc are you?"

Well, I'm an INTP, and that seems to really throw people off. There seems to be an expectation that 1s with correlate to Je, if not a specifically Te or Fe.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Well, this is my final post on the matter because I do not want to derail your wonderful thread Magic, but my own mother thinks the ENTJ profile reads like my biography, so there's little room for doubt.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I'm an INTP, and that seems to really throw people off. There seems to be an expectation that 1s with correlate to Je, if not a specifically Te or Fe.

I use to be a huge believer in correlations/conversions between the systems. BlackCat convinced me though that I needed to re-evaluate. Luckily I did, and now I see that almost any pair can exist. Although, I'd be lying if the INTP didnt throw me off :laugh:

LIST:
Magic 1w9 sx/sp INTP
Disregard 1w2 ??? ENTJ
Babylon Candle 1w9 sp/sx ENFJ
Proteanmix 1w2??? ENFJ
HeatherC??? 1w2??? ENFJ

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use to be a huge believer in correlations/conversions between the systems. BlackCat convinced me though that I needed to re-evaluate. Luckily I did, and now I see that almost any pair can exist. Although, I'd be lying if the INTP didnt throw me off :laugh:

I think being a Ti-dom combines well with being type 1 to explain my incredible vulnerability to analysis paralysis.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Little Linguist is a 1w2. I might be, also. I relate to it pretty well, but the last time I thought I was a particular type, I was completely and utterly confused, so I dunno. (Someone visit my enneagram thread plz to confirm! kthx.)

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1000 posts ^^^ congrats! :D

Do you have any idea what your instinct variants are?

LIST:
Magic 1w9 sx/sp INTP
Babylon Candle 1w9 sp/sx ENFJ
Disregard 1w2 ??? ENTJ
Proteanmix 1w2 ??? ENFJ
HeatherC 1w2 ??? ENFJ
LittleLinguist 1w2 ??? SanChol
EJCC 1w2 ??? ESTJ

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks! :D Pretty sure I'm soc/sx. Haven't found a description of that stacking besides that little one-paragraph thing, but everything in that paragraph seemed to fit me well.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I found out recently that I relate quite a lot to E1. Only problem is, I can never remember what 1s are about, from what I can recall, fear of corruption leads to idealism of sorts. I have a couple of friends who I think are 1s, and they're pretty diligent but sort of combine it with imagination I think... not too sure.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On a separate forum, I found a poll asking people which enneagram type they found the hardest identify with or relate to. The type 1 lead the poll.

So, it sounds like there's a bit of an image and influence problem here. Obscure and misunderstood. I'm a 1 myself (of this I'm confident to the point of thinking I got lucky) so naturally this trend catches my eye. It makes me reflect a lot.
I find this very interesting. For obvious reasons, I have a hard time understanding why one couldn't relate to type 1. I can relate to pretty much every type, to an extent, since I think that most people have those traits in them to a degree. For example, I feel like most people have the type 6 trait of either avoiding their fears or attacking them to get them out of the way.

But I'll try to explain one aspect of (what I consider to be) 1-ness. Fellow ones, tell me if you relate to this:

You know how when little children are "good kids", they react really strongly when they've done something wrong, e.g. they might cry because "I was a bad kid, and I don't want to be a bad kid, because being bad is BAD"?

If other ones are like me, then, in a sense, they never stop being that kid. You do something that's against your ideals, and you feel horrible about it, and you beat yourself up about it, regardless of whether or not other people feel worse about you for it.

There were so many times when I acted like that kid, and my parents had no idea what I was on about. e.g:
Me (age 13): Oh my god guys! I'm SO SORRY I was home late! I got carried away, and my friends and I were watching a really good movie, and I forgot to call you...
Dad (INTP and probably Type 5): It's no problem. Your mom and I understand. It's no big deal.
Me: But you and Mom and I were going to hang out later, and because I was late we can't do that! And I ruined our plans! And so I feel really really really bad...
Dad (surprised): No big deal. Really. I'm not disappointed in you or anything. It wasn't really a plan.
Me (even more surprised): ... *double take*... wait, what?

edit:
I found out recently that I relate quite a lot to E1. Only problem is, I can never remember what 1s are about, from what I can recall, fear of corruption leads to idealism of sorts. I have a couple of friends who I think are 1s, and they're pretty diligent but sort of combine it with imagination I think... not too sure.
I like this description, personally - I think it sums it up pretty nicely:
Enneagram Personality Type One: The Perfectionist

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, my guilt is unfortunately nearly inconsolable.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Empathy hug! :hug:

Edit: Another thing about me as a 1 (that may apply to other 1s too), is that I'm very very very self-motivated. Also, even though "idealism" is brought up often in descriptions of Type 1, I don't really think of it as idealism. Even though I have my moments like that (e.g. "This is the way things are SUPPOSED to be, so it pisses me off that it's not working out that way! OBVIOUSLY someone's doing something WRONG"), in my everyday life, it's mostly like: "This is how I'm supposed to do things, so that's the way I'm going to do it".

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Point 1? I want to go to there.

<-- direction of integration...

Rasputin

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm a 1w9, sp/so, with 5w6 and 3w4 trifix points. I'm also an ENTJ. Magic Poriferan, I'm wondering why you identify with type one if you have problems with analysis paralysis. I'm not saying you're not a one, I don't like to stereotype, but that tends to be more a head triad thing, not a gut triad thing. I would like to note that while INTP does seem wierd for one, I think the philosopher Immanuel Kant was one.