User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 59

  1. #1
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default 1 for all and all for 1

    ...or not. Enneagram Type 1s seem to have a bit of a problem forming any significant solidarity, with themselves or others around here.

    It seems to me that type 1 must be among the rarest types on this forum (in terms of how people identify themselves, anyhow). Certainly the 3 is rarer, but I think 1 may be in second place, perhaps only 2 or 6 compete for that spot, but I'm pretty sure they're more common.

    On a separate forum, I found a poll asking people which enneagram type they found the hardest identify with or relate to. The type 1 lead the poll.

    So, it sounds like there's a bit of an image and influence problem here. Obscure and misunderstood. I'm a 1 myself (of this I'm confident to the point of thinking I got lucky) so naturally this trend catches my eye. It makes me reflect a lot.

    So here are two things this thread might do if anyone bothers to post:
    1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.
    2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

    Some specific questions for other types might be:
    What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?
    What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #2
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Second question pokes me.

    I thought I was a 1 for a few years.

    The easiest thing for me to relate to in 1s has always been the reformist aspect. Stubborn idealism a-la-1 is pretty cool, especially compared to the stubborn idealism of ENFPs that's so common.

    The "self discipline" is something that just doesn't read with me. I don't get it at all.
    wails from the crypt.

  3. #3
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    I'm a 1.

  4. #4
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Magic, i'm guessing you're a 1w9?

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    The easiest thing for me to relate to in 1s has always been the reformist aspect. Stubborn idealism a-la-1 is pretty cool, especially compared to the stubborn idealism of ENFPs that's so common.

    The "self discipline" is something that just doesn't read with me. I don't get it at all.
    So do you almost mean you related to the 1w2? (the advocate). I think the 1w9 has more self discipline aspects, where as the 1w2 has more reformer aspects (though 1w9s still desire to reform things they dont see as "right").

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I'm a 1.
    whats your wing? whats your MBTI code?


    Type One in Brief

    Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

    * Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
    * Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
    * Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
    * Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"

    Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

    When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), methodical Ones suddenly become moody and irrational at Four. However, when moving in their Direction of Integration (growth), angry, critical Ones become more spontaneous and joyful, like healthy Sevens.
    I bolded everything that resonates with me the strongest. I'm a 1w9 sp/sx. I actually think the 1w9 is a more important part of my personality than MBTI or socionics is because my enneagram type (though I have been confused at times) is much more consistent. I can easily, clearly and retrospectively see all of the 1w9 aspects intertwined with all stages of my life. The MBTI has instead been easily affected by my environment, my stress and energy levels. The enneagram type just seems more "all encompassing".

    1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.

    I think the 1 is almost like the reverse melting pot of the enneagram. There is less of a "typical ennea/mbti pair" that would stereotype us. With the ennea 1 being so "accommodating to various typological types", it leaves us as trying to be all things to all types. Sometimes it might leave us looking like we have no identity. Of course, we do have an identity. Its an identity that seeks to be above condemnation by always being right, seeking the right answer and sometimes correcting everyone else's wrong answer. Again, sometimes these right answers can be oppositional to each other, making us look like hypocrites or even rule books. "How can they be so into doing 'everything' right in such different realms of thought/action/belief???". It looks like we are trying too hard, being too judgemental and having too much pride in a know-it-all existence all at the same time. Thats just how it looks though. Interestingly enough, I once read that a big difference between 1s and 3s is that 1s couldnt promote themselves even if they tried, where as 3s cant help it!

    2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

    I think most types do not understand the 1. It especially muddies up the waters on certain MBTI types, "you arent the typical INTP/ENFJ/ENTJ/INFJetc are you?"

    Some specific questions for other types might be:
    What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?


    I think our most honorable trait is the desire to be "right" even when its against our cause (admitting to your own ideologies faults for example). Think how valuable this is in something like politics or anywhere when we are leading people with some ethics in mind. Our most deplorable trait might be that sometimes in our own search to be right, we bring others down with us through critiquing people even when its not totally necessary.


    What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?


    I think the idea of being conscientious might be the easiest ennea 1 idea for non 1s to understand...

    LIST:
    Magic 1w??? sx/sp???
    Disregard 1w???
    Babylon Candle 1w9 sp/sx
    Proteanmix 1w2???
    HeatherC??? 1w2???

  5. #5
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Wing in 2. MBTI is ENTJ.

  6. #6
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Magic, i'm guessing you're a 1w9?
    I don't know. You can see elsewhere that I don't really care much for the wings. Anyhow, in my experience I've tilted back and forth. There's a contextual problem. Dealing with most people I seem more 1w9, dealing with people I'm emotionally attached to I'm more 1w2. I guess you can put me down as 1w9 since that context is much more typical.


    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I bolded everything that resonates with me the strongest. I'm a 1w9 sp/sx. I actually think the 1w9 is a more important part of my personality than MBTI or socionics is because my enneagram type (though I have been confused at times) is much more consistent. I can easily, clearly and retrospectively see all of the 1w9 aspects intertwined with all stages of my life. The MBTI has instead been easily affected by my environment, my stress and energy levels. The enneagram type just seems more "all encompassing".
    I've found the Enneagram more accurate for me, too. I don't think it actually proves anything about the system, but rather it's why I said I'm lucky. I just happen to be someone for whom one of the Enneagram descriptions is perfectly fitting.

    And by the way, I'm I-P-S, which I suppose you would called sx/sp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I think the 1 is almost like the reverse melting pot of the enneagram. There is less of a "typical ennea/mbti pair" that would stereotype us. With the ennea 1 being so "accommodating to various typological types", it leaves us as trying to be all things to all types. Sometimes it might leave us looking like we have no identity. Of course, we do have an identity. Its an identity that seeks to be above condemnation by always being right, seeking the right answer and sometimes correcting everyone else's wrong answer. Again, sometimes these right answers can be oppositional to each other, making us look like hypocrites or even rule books. "How can they be so into doing 'everything' right in such different realms of thought/action/belief???". It looks like we are trying too hard, being too judgemental and having too much pride in a know-it-all existence all at the same time. Thats just how it looks though. Interestingly enough, I once read that a big difference between 1s and 3s is that 1s couldnt promote themselves even if they tried, where as 3s cant help it!
    People online seem to try to hard to make sense of the MBTI-Enneagram correlation. It needs to be better understood that these are unrelated and asymetrical systems, and any relationship between the types of either system is fairly spurious. There may be some rough correlations, but there is no designtated type for another type, and you can't really use the one system to figure out a person's type in the other system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I think most types do not understand the 1. It especially muddies up the waters on certain MBTI types, "you arent the typical INTP/ENFJ/ENTJ/INFJetc are you?"
    Well, I'm an INTP, and that seems to really throw people off. There seems to be an expectation that 1s with correlate to Je, if not a specifically Te or Fe.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #7
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Wing in 2. MBTI is ENTJ.
    ...

    Put her down as XXXX. No, actually, XNXX, because I don't seem to recall one time that she thought she was an S.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #8
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Well, this is my final post on the matter because I do not want to derail your wonderful thread Magic, but my own mother thinks the ENTJ profile reads like my biography, so there's little room for doubt.

  9. #9
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, I'm an INTP, and that seems to really throw people off. There seems to be an expectation that 1s with correlate to Je, if not a specifically Te or Fe.
    I use to be a huge believer in correlations/conversions between the systems. BlackCat convinced me though that I needed to re-evaluate. Luckily I did, and now I see that almost any pair can exist. Although, I'd be lying if the INTP didnt throw me off

    LIST:
    Magic 1w9 sx/sp INTP
    Disregard 1w2 ??? ENTJ
    Babylon Candle 1w9 sp/sx ENFJ
    Proteanmix 1w2??? ENFJ
    HeatherC??? 1w2??? ENFJ

  10. #10
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I use to be a huge believer in correlations/conversions between the systems. BlackCat convinced me though that I needed to re-evaluate. Luckily I did, and now I see that almost any pair can exist. Although, I'd be lying if the INTP didnt throw me off
    I think being a Ti-dom combines well with being type 1 to explain my incredible vulnerability to analysis paralysis.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] hello guys ! :) I have a question for all of u ISTPs and people who know ISTPs :)
    By nataliecarmen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 01:06 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
  3. a dandelion and a longing for the sea of all tranquility
    By Andy Quellenlicht in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
  4. Type me (once and for all)
    By King sns in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
  5. Need some insight to determine type once and for all.
    By Dwigie in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO