• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] 1 for all and all for 1

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My analysis is in pursuit of perfection. I don't feel comfortable acting until I think I'm absolutely right, which unfortunately is a very rare occurence. So I get locked-up hoping that if I work on something long enough, I'll figure out exactly the right way to do it.

Rasputin

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, the pursuit of perfection and desire to be right before taking action could very well point to core type one with nine or at least as your gut fix point, but my question to you is how often do you really feel you are right about something? Like when you debate a topic with somebody do you go in with your guns fully loaded with just what you want to say because you already know you are right? Or do you go in ready to take in more data throughout the debate and possibly be willing to reform your conclusion? Do you have some things you have strong opinions on, so strong that you use them as a set of principles to live your life by?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ones are kinda creepy, they keep silent till the last second possible and then they take sides which will be the one that grants the greatest chance for things to be peaceful again after the aftermath. Ones are a bit like the followers a good dictator would need.

Am I wrong ?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ones are kinda creepy, they keep silent till the last second possible and then they take sides which will be the one that grants the greatest chance for things to be peaceful again after the aftermath. Ones are a bit like the followers a good dictator would need.

Am I wrong ?

ent, im just glad you're an ENTJ again. the world is right once more! :D

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
1w9s, the pillars of moral integrity in a world full of lax morals and discipline. ;)

My analysis is in pursuit of perfection. I don't feel comfortable acting until I think I'm absolutely right, which unfortunately is a very rare occurence. So I get locked-up hoping that if I work on something long enough, I'll figure out exactly the right way to do it.
I'm also wondering why you selftype as a One. Ones aren't exactly short of strong convictions.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the pursuit of perfection and desire to be right before taking action could very well point to core type one with nine or at least as your gut fix point, but my question to you is how often do you really feel you are right about something? Like when you debate a topic with somebody do you go in with your guns fully loaded with just what you want to say because you already know you are right? Or do you go in ready to take in more data throughout the debate and possibly be willing to reform your conclusion? Do you have some things you have strong opinions on, so strong that you use them as a set of principles to live your life by?

There are a lot of things that make me type myself as a 1. None of the other profiles came close to being as descriptive of me (and I have used multiple sources). I go into to debates with confidence, if I didn't conidence in my position, I wouldn't be going into the debate. I'm usually only confident if I've gone over it a lot, and I become familiar with certain arguments like they were chess positions.

But of course I'm willing to reconsider my position if my base premises are proven wrong somehow. That seems too fundamental to reasoning itself to be assigned to a type.

I do have strong opinions on some things, and they are a part of my life lifestyle. When it comes to arguing beyond my lifestyle, I loosen up a bit because I realize there are some issues of subjectivity, but there are abstract concepts of logic and morality that I still press over anyone else.

I'm also wondering why you selftype as a One. Ones aren't exactly short of strong convictions.

A problem with these last two posts is that they have a fair amount of fuzzy quantifiers.

Rasputin

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Am I wrong ?

Hell yes, you are wrong. I'll say what I think is right and correct even if it disturbs the peace. Autonomy is very important to ones. You don't seem like you understand them very well.

Rasputin

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Magic Poriferan...Something about remembering every nuance of arguments and needing to do this to be prepared for a debate sound more head-triadish to me. When I argue, the argument comes to me while I'm arguing. I don't feel I need to remember a bunch of details and postulates to get my point accross. I pretty much always know what I'm going to say when the time comes. If push comes to shove, I'll come up with an argument to demonstrate why I'm right.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magic Poriferan...Something about remembering every nuance of arguments and needing to do this to be prepared for a debate sound more head-triadish to me. When I argue, the argument comes to me while I'm arguing. I don't feel I need to remember a bunch of details and postulates to get my point accross. I pretty much always know what I'm going to say when the time comes. If push comes to shove, I'll come up with an argument to demonstrate why I'm right.

I don't technically script myself for particular arguments, but I go over motions passively. It's not strictly preparing, because it also stems from my efforts to ruminate on the subject in the first place. But right at this point, this conversation is delving deep into the problem of online typing.

This was not intended to be a thread for figuring out my type. I dislike those threads greatly, because I don't think they can produce anything of value. You don't know me, and my attempts to convey myself to you will always be distorted by frame of reference, omitted information, and semantic differences in the ways the people involved think.

If it helps any, I've never taken a test that said I was anything other than a 1, and I took the test before I knew anything about the Enneagram. 1 was my first result, it fit me the best by far, and no result has been different since.

IF you actually want to keep talking about this, PM me, so that this thread can stick to its point.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Am I wrong ?

Such an obsession with peace and aversion toward prolonged conflict sounds much more like a 9 indulging its bad habits.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
...or not. Enneagram Type 1s seem to have a bit of a problem forming any significant solidarity, with themselves or others around here.

It seems to me that type 1 must be among the rarest types on this forum (in terms of how people identify themselves, anyhow). Certainly the 3 is rarer, but I think 1 may be in second place, perhaps only 2 or 6 compete for that spot, but I'm pretty sure they're more common.

On a separate forum, I found a poll asking people which enneagram type they found the hardest identify with or relate to. The type 1 lead the poll.

So, it sounds like there's a bit of an image and influence problem here. Obscure and misunderstood. I'm a 1 myself (of this I'm confident to the point of thinking I got lucky) so naturally this trend catches my eye. It makes me reflect a lot.

So here are two things this thread might do if anyone bothers to post:
1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.
2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

Some specific questions for other types might be:
What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?
What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?

Alright I'm biting.

From most of the one descriptions I've read, ones need surgical removal of iron rods from their anal cavity. It's OK, I still got on the train!

So I'm going by this description of ones:
Type One in Brief

Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

* Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
* Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
* Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
* Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"

Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

What made me most identify with one descriptions I think was the whole anger thing. For me, anger is a really great motivator: just getting sick and fed up with something and acting on it. I'm mostly into righteous anger and indignation because they sound more noble. I do not randomly start yelling at people, flipping tables, and generally hulking out. Anger tends to be more internal than anything else and can result in deep dissatisfaction with the way things are and human nature making them that way. I am going to dig into my love of BSG and summarize it as a disquiet following my soul. Then anger is right there again poking me constantly to make it change. I do feel very energized, relentless, tireless when that happens and all the great changes of my life have happened when I am mobilized to that stage because anger overrides fear and makes me move. I don't think I often get caught in analysis paralysis...I'm more likely to get myself into trouble because I didn't take in enough information before acting.

I also identify with the desire to be discerning, judicious, and practical. It appeals to my sense of extroverted judgment, I like making decisions. I enjoy deciding what direction to head in, I don't get so overwhelmed that I just throw my hands up in the air or get flustered and intimidated by the decision making process. I like moving things out of shades of gray and into the clear and unambiguous. That does mean I have a preference for black and white, but I realize not everything is such. I feel like by making things clearer for myself and others, there is less of a sense of wandering in the wilderness, with no guide, or no landmarks to know the direction you're headed. I guess it's a balance between social structure and social agency.

Since my extroverted judgment is Fe, I like hacking paths through dense people situations, figuring out how to handle someone, figuring out relationships, and making character judgments on people. This may sound horrible and judgmental to others, but I've avoided a lot of drama in my life because of this and I'm quite happy with this trait. I've got a really great group of friends: no backstabbers, no flakes, no leeches, emotionally stable, very open, reciprocal, and lots of trust. Even my romantic relationships, have been low drama. I can't say anything bad about anyone after the fact and thankfully I don't have much emotional baggage from being burned by a shady person. Since I prefer to evaluate people to the best of my ability, I don't think I often feel surprised by a certain behavior they manifest or something they do because if I see a quality is already there (good, bad, or neutral) it's only natural that they would act on a quality already inside of them.

I don't really think of myself as a perfectionist...everyone says they're a perfectionist. It's one of the meaningless comments you make when asked what is a bad quality you have, say "I'm a perfectionist." It's akin to saying I love too much or I'm too forgiving, you take a virtuous quality and make it excessive so that it's not a vice of defect or some absence of virtue it's just too much of a good thing, like dying from water intoxication rather than a drug overdose. I also think people work too hard for the stale beans and empty peanut shells thrown at them known as retirement and 401(K) if they even get that. No one should kill themselves to make someone else fat and happy while they choke on drudgery and unhappiness. That means I do a lot of half-ass work. :laugh: I feel like so much of what people do with their life's work is like pushing distasteful food around on a plate. So that aspect of one-ness, I don't really identify with.

I also identify with these one descriptions:
Because of this, Ones often persuade themselves that they are “head” types, rationalists who proceed only on logic and objective truth. But, the real picture is somewhat different: Ones are actually activists who are searching for an acceptable rationale for what they feel they must do. They are people of instinct and passion who use convictions and judgments to control and direct themselves and their actions.

I don't know if ones do more rationalizing and justifying than other types, so I can't comment on that. I don't think of myself as particularly self-controlled. I only feel guilty about indulging myself when it screws me up in some other way, but I don't restrict or deny myself much. I do struggle with balancing short-term ephemeral happiness vs. long-term happiness, which leads into being impatient. I would say I'm impetuous due to impatience rather than impulsivity. I am currently in the most resentful situation I have been in in my life and am in the process of figuring out how to screw a few people over without screwing myself in the process. I don't feel bad about it at all and hope they fall face first, ass up in their own shit. Yeah, I am extraordinarily mad about this.

The result is a personality type that has problems with repression, resistance, and aggression. They are usually seen by others as highly self- controlled, even rigid, although this is not how Ones experience themselves. It seems to them that they are sitting on a cauldron of passions and desires, and they had better “keep the lid on” lest they and everyone else around them regret it.

I think I have problems with aggression which at first confused me with being type eight which would be my next type if not a one. I really have to consciously control asserting my will which is why I am strongly attracted to people who don't let me run all over them and assert themselves strongly as well. This often conflicts with my Fe. It's like Dueling Banjos but in the end I'm sure it will work itself in a harmonious, licensed pop standard. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What made me most identify with one descriptions I think was the whole anger thing. For me, anger is a really great motivator: just getting sick and fed up with something and acting on it. I'm mostly into righteous anger and indignation because they sound more noble. ...I do feel very energized, relentless, tireless when that happens and all the great changes of my life have happened when I am mobilized to that stage because anger overrides fear and makes me move.

I also identify with the desire to be discerning, judicious, and practical. It appeals to my sense of extroverted judgment, I like making decisions. I enjoy deciding what direction to head in, I don't get so overwhelmed that I just throw my hands up in the air or get flustered and intimidated by the decision making process. I like moving things out of shades of gray and into the clear and unambiguous.

I don't know if ones do more rationalizing and justifying than other types, so I can't comment on that. I don't think of myself as particularly self-controlled. I only feel guilty about indulging myself when it screws me up in some other way, but I don't restrict or deny myself much.
The quoted text above, I relate to most. Especially the top paragraph. I almost wish I was angry more often, so I could get more work done. Sometimes I intentionally make myself angry, to motivate myself.

I feel like so much of what people do with their life's work is like pushing distasteful food around on a plate. So that aspect of one-ness, I don't really identify with.
Lol, this actually sounds very very 1-ish. It shows that you really care about people's work being IMPORTANT, and that's part of what drew me to the idea of being a 1, i.e. feeling like people should really try to make a difference in the world, and not do pointless sh*t for a living.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So Protean, do think people have a hard time understanding your type Oneness? If so, how?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
So Protean, do think people have a hard time understanding your type Oneness? If so, how?

Eesh, now this is going to roll into something else. I don't feel like a generally misunderstood person to those I open myself up to. I also don't even require my psychology to be understood by those I come into regular contact like coworkers. I would prefer people understand the house rules even if you flout them. Sometimes it's not the person or the people it's the situation and if you understand the situation you understand how it influences people and how they react. To take that even further people then perpetuate the situation. That may or may not have made sense, but it did in my head and is somehow related to my point.

I suppose within the universe of those who are into MBTI and enneagram perhaps one-ness would seem like an enigma. This is hard question for me to answer because I'm thinking about my real life behavior versus a "type" behavior which there are enough strings of connection for me to identify with but not enough for me to find any consistent correlations.

So did I answer the question?

Rasputin

MBTI Type
ENTJ
The thing is I really would call myself a perfectionist, not on account of trying to perform specific tasks correctly (though I often do this) but because my mission in life is to be the absolute best possible version of myself I can be. For me, a day without self-improvement is a day wasted. I feel the need to be constantly moving forward, moving my real self toward my ideal self. This is why I call myself a perfectionist, because at the very heart of my personality, there is this disatisfaction with myself which drives me on to try to be more than I am, fueled by the feeling that who I am currently is not good enough. Growing up, I saw what sorry shape the world is in, how the people in it are inadequate, and I realized I couldn't turn to anyone but myself for guidance. This also caused my inner-critic to develop, motivating me to never be satisfied with just good enough for myself. This core of perfectionism extends into a great deal of tasks as well. For example, I hate it when something goes wrong at work and it's my fault. Right now I'm under some stress because I'm learning a new job and there's a necessary learning curve, and every time there's something that comes up that boils down to I haven't learned to do it right just yet, I come down hard on myself. I want my work to have meaning, though, which is part of the reason why I took this new job. I feel it's my mission to have an impact on the world, to try to make a difference. Meaning is very important to me, and I feel my existence will be justified if I am able to rise above the lot of ordinary mortals to do something to move the whole world closer to perfection.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 1w2. Never been so sure of something in my life.

My husband also complains about my perfectionism constantly.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I prefer the formula 'all for one and everybody for me'

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INtP with almost equal Fi and Ti followed by Ne.

Rasputin

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm assuming in MBTI you're ENFJ and you're husband is INTP?