User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So here are two things this thread might do if anyone bothers to post:
    1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.
    I've been called "very ethical," as if the phrase denoted peculiarity; and "Mister Rules," although that was by an attorney; and "intense, maybe a little too intense" by an INTP/5.

My struggle is reconciling the existence of principles and standards that others hold with far less rigorous or serious demeanor. I don't know how people manage life happy-go-lucky.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ I like this idea, of describing ourselves like that. I'll go for it. (So pardon my copying )

I've been called "uptight" (meant as an insult) and "aloof" (meant almost positively), as well as, when I was still in high school, "sixteen going on thirty". Even though some people think I'm silly and random, most people see me as constantly composed and in control. (However, no one would ever call me "cold", even though sometimes I feel like I am. It's probably just because I hang out with so many NFs...) I was told recently that I "demand respect", which took me completely by surprise. However, a couple of days ago, I was thinking about that comment, and I realized that I can't think of a single person who doesn't respect me. Literally, not a single one. And that fact gave me warm fuzzies

Among my teachers (in all levels of schooling), I'm notorious for going up to them and telling them exactly what I think about what could be improved. Of course, none of my teachers were ever annoyed by this (to my knowledge), because it was obvious to them that I was trying to be helpful, and my comments were almost entirely based in a fact that they also recognized.

I definitely make excuses too much when I do something wrong, because I always feel like, if people know what my mindset was when I made the mistake, they won't think as poorly of me for it. But also, I think it's that those explanations just well up within me every time I'm accused of something, and I just have to let them all out, or else I feel like I'm going to burst.

Links to my earlier self-descriptive posts on this thread (because consolidation is fun for me ):
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1044276
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1044289
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I love this description of ones:

Type 1 Enneagram Type Description |9types.com

I think I relate to it more than any of the others.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Among my teachers (in all levels of schooling), I'm notorious for going up to them and telling them exactly what I think about what could be improved. Of course, none of my teachers were ever annoyed by this (to my knowledge), because it was obvious to them that I was trying to be helpful, and my comments were almost entirely based in a fact that they also recognized.
    Looks like you've had better luck than I have in that respect then! I think I've caused more antagonism towards myself than anything with that tendency. It may be that I tended to focus more on what was wrong than providing specific solutions for putting it right (because of my assumption that if they wanted to they could work out something appropriate for themselves, and perhaps that aspect of things was not really my business). It could also be because these interactions have typically been with strong F types (more often NF) who have displayed an unfortunate tendency to take objective criticism personally and held a grudge against me as a result, while doing all they could to avoid addressing the actual criticism.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Looks like you've had better luck than I have in that respect then! I think I've caused more antagonism towards myself than anything with that tendency. It may be that I tended to focus more on what was wrong than providing specific solutions for putting it right (because of my assumption that if they wanted to they could work out something appropriate for themselves, and perhaps that aspect of things was not really my business). It could also be because these interactions have typically been with strong F types (more often NF) who have displayed an unfortunate tendency to take objective criticism personally and held a grudge against me as a result, while doing all they could to avoid addressing the actual criticism.
    Both of those possible reasons make a lot of sense. After all, I get the impression that if you combine an ESTJ MBTI type with an enneagram 1, you get a lot more of "You're doing it wrong because you're not doing it the RIGHT way, which is THIS. So fix it." Very managerial, and very Te. We're so type A that we don't often assume that someone will do things the right way without specific instruction. Hence people's complaints about unhealthy ESTJ bosses tending to micromanage. And I know you aren't ESTJ... but what type are you? Can't remember.

In response to your first couple of sentences, I still got a lot of antagonism for it... just not from the teachers. There was a lot of unspoken dislike of me from my classmates, especially in middle school, because I got so much attention from the teachers. They saw me as arrogant, overachieving, and a teacher's pet. But you know what they say about the squeaky wheel...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Both of those possible reasons make a lot of sense. After all, I get the impression that if you combine an ESTJ MBTI type with an enneagram 1, you get a lot more of "You're doing it wrong because you're not doing it the RIGHT way, which is THIS. So fix it." Very managerial, and very Te. We're so type A that we don't often assume that someone will do things the right way without specific instruction. Hence people's complaints about unhealthy ESTJ bosses tending to micromanage. And I know you aren't ESTJ... but what type are you? Can't remember.
    Yeah, my Enneagram and Mbti type are an unusual and somewhat innately contradictory combination, which doesn't help At least yours work together fairly seamlessly, it's a much more natural combination. I have a lot of potential for internal conflict between the desire to change things, even impose that change, and the desire to step back and keep well out of it, or do my own thing entirely. It's easy because of this to end up doing either one or the other by halves and end up perpetually dissatisfied with the results. Of course it's natural for type 1's to be dissatisfied with their own efforts already, this merely tends to exacerbate the sense of failure.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

After much hemming and hawing, I think the closest description for me is a 1w2 so/sx/sp. I very much identify with the reformer part of things. I'm compelled to see what needs changing in the system or organization I'm working in. That can be very good, but it is also negative in that there is either an internal struggle that I feel or else I'm going to be at loggerheads with those in charge (especially when it doesn't appear that they have a philosophy or plan driving their decision making and what they are doing is not working effectively.) I'm afraid though that the self-driven, efficient part of me doesn't sound quite right, unless given particular circumstances. I tend to prioritize what I actually think matters and whether others will be negatively impacted if I do it or not, so it is a conscious decision even though onlookers may think it is being irresponsible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

Hmm....I'm surprised to hear this. The 1 type is much easier for me to grasp than a few other types. 1 is supposed to be my integration point, which makes a lot of sense for me and why I think I've always found the 1 profile rather admirable. I assumed in the real world, that there would be many 1s....these online forums aren't the best samples...

Some specific questions for other types might be:
    What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?

I think I admire the integrity and steadfastness, and the self-control & selflessness.The most unlikable part is when these good traits turn into being critical and judgmental.

What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?

Setting noble goals, being ethical, having high standards, being a perfectionist - I can relate to that. I don't relate to being so structured, methodical, fastidious, strict with self - it's not all bad, I just don't relate to it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I love this description of ones:

Type 1 Enneagram Type Description |9types.com

I think I relate to it more than any of the others.
    "Take your share of the responsibility so I don't end up with all the work" is the story of my life. First to lead, last to leave and shut the lights. I long for a project with someone with goals and stamina to match.

Great exposition, by the way. I'll be checking other type statements, too.