• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] 1 for all and all for 1

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm a One with a Two wing.

What's most admirable about it? Consistence, being trusted, having a high sense of moral integrity and having people seeing you as righteous. Some Ones have brought significant, desperately needed changes to society throughout History. When Ones are healthy, they inspire others to be good and to better themselves.
What's most deplorable? Being judgemental with others and finding it difficult to just have fun and relax, making it puzzling or uncomfortable for people to be around you. Feeling guilty and so easily ashamed because you are so hard on yourself. You often judge yourself more harshly than you would others.

In my experience, the key to becoming a healthy One is to understand and embrace grace.

I suppose I relate to everything in the One description. Also, Martin Luther is one of my personal heroes. :)

Some must-see films starring Ones:
-Luther (2004) starring Joseph Fiennes
-Amazing Grace (2006) about British abolitionist William Wilberforce
-Gandhi
-Joan of Arc (starring Leelee Sobieski)

Last edited:

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hello!

I took about four different tests and I got Type 1 in all of them. The traits I easily recognized in myself are the "self-discipline", "self-principled", and "perfectionism".

Not to mention the anger issues, which I experienced a lot in my short life, mostly because of supressing it than expressing it. I don´t know exactly why, but I can´t insult anybody who really deserves it, or do something harmful to them. The tought of doing so paralyzes me to the point of having people thinking that I have no feelings when not hitting back when somebody offends me. I prefer to be the better person, and make the offender look bad instead. Never using any form of violence.

Usehername

On a mission
I think I'm a 1. I can't figure out my instinctual variants.

I don't see myself as perfectionistic (similar to Protean, I am happy to do half-assed work when the situation doesn't require anything better). I think this interferred with my self-typing when I was leaning more toward 5w6. I am easily driven by anger and a sense of morality, as I've demonstrated many a time on this board.

Xenocide

MBTI Type
INTP
2)[/B] Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

Some specific questions for other types might be:
What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?
What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?

Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong.

I'm a "shades of grey" sort of person, so this grates against me, as well as the tendency to assume the right to make these sort of judgments.

They typically have problems with resentment and impatience

^ this.

to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

An unrealistic tendency with high potential to be annoying when taken to the extreme.

Things that appeal to me about the type 1 is their drive toward improvement and willingness to stand up for what they believe in. The most deplorable would have to be the sense of entitlement as well as the readiness with which they are willing to judge others, while not being consistent enough with addressing their own shortcomings.

I can relate the most with the anger/frustration due to a failure to meed one's standards, and the hardest to understand would be the above mentioned black & white attitude in relation to their sense of right & wrong or morality.

Jon_sparky

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
nine
1's hate to be wrong, or to find out they actually screwed up, it tears them up.
When they are in the reformer mode, they want to mold you in there image of perfection, this can be very annoying. The problem with a un-integrated 1, there view of perfection is not perfect! My mother is a 1w9 and I work with another 1... :cry:
On a plus side, they are very reliable and do most of the work, which is fine with me! :cheese:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Another Enneagram one who's a definite Mbti P-type here, just to provide further evidence that they do actually exist ;) Other than the analysis paralysis issue I relate most strongly to Magic from what has been posted here. There are some other interesting contributions though. I'm all too familiar with most of the issues people are bringing up.

I'm not really convinced that the concept of Wings has a sound basis - it seems to be determined more by geometric than psychological considerations. My results in any case would tend to go either way or just be "balanced" depending on personal context or the test I was taking, rather as Magic was saying of himself. I'm probably more often acting in the context of a 1w9, but there's scarcely a difference for me if even there's anything in that part of the system. So, let me think:

1 (balanced) sx/so

I actually think the 1w9 is a more important part of my personality than MBTI or socionics is because my enneagram type (though I have been confused at times) is much more consistent. I can easily, clearly and retrospectively see all of the 1w9 aspects intertwined with all stages of my life. The MBTI has instead been easily affected by my environment, my stress and energy levels. The enneagram type just seems more "all encompassing".

I relate to this to quite a large extent. Although I'm perfectly confident of my Mbti type (unlike many), it's the only one that fits, and it makes a lot of sense to me; I nevertheless am a very untypical example of the type if my observations and experiences with my own type both here and irl are anything to go by. I understand where they're coming from, but our motivations, style of acting and preoccupations are quite foreign most of the time; we may be following the same cognitive process a lot of the time, but have a quite different outlook on ourselves and on life. Enneagram-wise, I find myself relating to almost everything that's being posted in this thread, though most people are types that are not even close to my own.

Alright I'm biting.
I don't really think of myself as a perfectionist...everyone says they're a perfectionist. It's one of the meaningless comments you make when asked what is a bad quality you have, say "I'm a perfectionist."

I don't. It would seem like a manipulative form of indirect self-promotion, so I wouldn't have the remotest inclination to go there. People will probably find out about my perfectionism and tendency to be critical over certain issues in good time, whether I want them to know or not...

Interestingly enough, I once read that a big difference between 1s and 3s is that 1s couldnt promote themselves even if they tried, where as 3s cant help it!

Certainly fits my own experience.

Sometimes it might leave us looking like we have no identity. Of course, we do have an identity. Its an identity that seeks to be above condemnation by always being right, seeking the right answer and sometimes correcting everyone else's wrong answer. Again, sometimes these right answers can be oppositional to each other, making us look like hypocrites or even rule books. "How can they be so into doing 'everything' right in such different realms of thought/action/belief???". It looks like we are trying too hard, being too judgemental and having too much pride in a know-it-all existence all at the same time. Thats just how it looks though.

^ This :yes:

I think our most honorable trait is the desire to be "right" even when its against our cause (admitting to your own ideologies faults for example). Think how valuable this is in something like politics or anywhere when we are leading people with some ethics in mind. Our most deplorable trait might be that sometimes in our own search to be right, we bring others down with us through critiquing people even when its not totally necessary.

The former can lead to a lot of frustration when trying to get your point across though. People are so used to encountering a more simplistic assumption of your own views being beyond reproach (actually an ego-defense, whereas the ego-defense for ones inheres, somewhat counter-intuitively, in precisely the need to be open to alternative views to escape the criticism of being narrow or dogmatic) that they frequently assume it to indicate a lack of confidence or inconsistency; then proceed to be very surprised at their inability to shift you from a position which is no less firmly held because you can rationally agknowledge its flaws. This is my experience, anyway.

The latter point rings unpleasantly true, I've encountered it so many times. Unfortunately it's difficult for others not to take it personally, and many will lash out and stop at nothing to bring you down to the level they erroneously suppose you are trying to bring them to. It can be extremely difficult to get across that you in fact were simply motivated by wishing for a few minor improvements when someone has switched off the rational part of their brain in their conviction that you are trying to destroy them utterly, and is just out for revenge by any means possible.

It's extremely difficult for a one in these situations because the self-imposed restrictions we place on our conduct make it impossible to participate in a "dirty" conflict on equal terms. Here's a metaphor I find semi-amusing:

It's a bit like feeling bound to fight an old-fashioned duel where you intend to defend your own honour and observe the rules of civilised decency by walking the regulation ten paces, turning at the prescribed moment, and firing a single shot. However, you discover that your less conscientious opponent came armed with an automatic weapon, which they pull out as soon as your back was turned, finally seeing a moment of weakness, and proceed to spray a destructive stream of bullets wildly around the surrounding countryside in their vengeful rage, supported by several heavily armed friends with flamethrowers and bazookas who they recruited and hid in the hedgerows to ambush you. (You of course came alone, as you did not really want to fight this battle, and if you must, it's against your principles to drag anyone else into it.) You survive though, albeit battered, bruised, and scorched, as all their firepower inevitably goes wide of the mark due to their total inability to see you clearly in the first place. However, the authorites then turn up and blame you for the resulting devastation. Worse, you blame yourself :doh:

Neither triumph in victory or glory in defeat can be gained from these inadvertant personal conflicts. I just wish I could find a way to stay out of them altogether ;) I suspect it's the fact that the criticisms are actually pertinent and can't really be gainsaid which tends to threaten people into such a defensive, emotionally charged response. Sometime I almost feel like I'm the only one who actually is not only willing, but feels the obligation to change myself and accept responsibility for my own mistakes.

Usehername

On a mission
I think Ann Coulter is a 1. For obvious reasons I was wary of her, but I started listening to her points, and (removing her completely inappropriate invective toward others), I see a lot of well-reasoned claims.

She looks to be an ExTx Enneagram 1 who prioritizes her understanding of what is true at the expense of all social mores. Like she is unable to Fe her way into anything.

She gets herself hated by all sides, instead of just one.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
So here are two things this thread might do if anyone bothers to post:
1) Gather together the other type 1s on this form to get an idea of who all we are, and hear their opinion on this matter and explain whether or not they feel like this is true.
I've been called "very ethical," as if the phrase denoted peculiarity; and "Mister Rules," although that was by an attorney; and "intense, maybe a little too intense" by an INTP/5.

My struggle is reconciling the existence of principles and standards that others hold with far less rigorous or serious demeanor. I don't know how people manage life happy-go-lucky.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I like this idea, of describing ourselves like that. I'll go for it. (So pardon my copying :))

I've been called "uptight" (meant as an insult) and "aloof" (meant almost positively), as well as, when I was still in high school, "sixteen going on thirty". Even though some people think I'm silly and random, most people see me as constantly composed and in control. (However, no one would ever call me "cold", even though sometimes I feel like I am. It's probably just because I hang out with so many NFs...) I was told recently that I "demand respect", which took me completely by surprise. However, a couple of days ago, I was thinking about that comment, and I realized that I can't think of a single person who doesn't respect me. Literally, not a single one. And that fact gave me warm fuzzies :wub:

Among my teachers (in all levels of schooling), I'm notorious for going up to them and telling them exactly what I think about what could be improved. Of course, none of my teachers were ever annoyed by this (to my knowledge), because it was obvious to them that I was trying to be helpful, and my comments were almost entirely based in a fact that they also recognized.

I definitely make excuses too much when I do something wrong, because I always feel like, if people know what my mindset was when I made the mistake, they won't think as poorly of me for it. But also, I think it's that those explanations just well up within me every time I'm accused of something, and I just have to let them all out, or else I feel like I'm going to burst.

Links to my earlier self-descriptive posts on this thread (because consolidation is fun for me :nerd:):
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/27756-1-all-all-1-a-2.html#post1044276
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/27756-1-all-all-1-a-2.html#post1044289

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Among my teachers (in all levels of schooling), I'm notorious for going up to them and telling them exactly what I think about what could be improved. Of course, none of my teachers were ever annoyed by this (to my knowledge), because it was obvious to them that I was trying to be helpful, and my comments were almost entirely based in a fact that they also recognized.
Looks like you've had better luck than I have in that respect then! I think I've caused more antagonism towards myself than anything with that tendency. It may be that I tended to focus more on what was wrong than providing specific solutions for putting it right (because of my assumption that if they wanted to they could work out something appropriate for themselves, and perhaps that aspect of things was not really my business). It could also be because these interactions have typically been with strong F types (more often NF) who have displayed an unfortunate tendency to take objective criticism personally and held a grudge against me as a result, while doing all they could to avoid addressing the actual criticism.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Looks like you've had better luck than I have in that respect then! I think I've caused more antagonism towards myself than anything with that tendency. It may be that I tended to focus more on what was wrong than providing specific solutions for putting it right (because of my assumption that if they wanted to they could work out something appropriate for themselves, and perhaps that aspect of things was not really my business). It could also be because these interactions have typically been with strong F types (more often NF) who have displayed an unfortunate tendency to take objective criticism personally and held a grudge against me as a result, while doing all they could to avoid addressing the actual criticism.
Both of those possible reasons make a lot of sense. After all, I get the impression that if you combine an ESTJ MBTI type with an enneagram 1, you get a lot more of "You're doing it wrong because you're not doing it the RIGHT way, which is THIS. So fix it." Very managerial, and very Te. We're so type A that we don't often assume that someone will do things the right way without specific instruction. Hence people's complaints about unhealthy ESTJ bosses tending to micromanage. And I know you aren't ESTJ... but what type are you? Can't remember.

In response to your first couple of sentences, I still got a lot of antagonism for it... just not from the teachers. There was a lot of unspoken dislike of me from my classmates, especially in middle school, because I got so much attention from the teachers. They saw me as arrogant, overachieving, and a teacher's pet. But you know what they say about the squeaky wheel... :cheese:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Both of those possible reasons make a lot of sense. After all, I get the impression that if you combine an ESTJ MBTI type with an enneagram 1, you get a lot more of "You're doing it wrong because you're not doing it the RIGHT way, which is THIS. So fix it." Very managerial, and very Te. We're so type A that we don't often assume that someone will do things the right way without specific instruction. Hence people's complaints about unhealthy ESTJ bosses tending to micromanage. And I know you aren't ESTJ... but what type are you? Can't remember.

Yeah, my Enneagram and Mbti type are an unusual and somewhat innately contradictory combination, which doesn't help ;) At least yours work together fairly seamlessly, it's a much more natural combination. I have a lot of potential for internal conflict between the desire to change things, even impose that change, and the desire to step back and keep well out of it, or do my own thing entirely. It's easy because of this to end up doing either one or the other by halves and end up perpetually dissatisfied with the results. Of course it's natural for type 1's to be dissatisfied with their own efforts already, this merely tends to exacerbate the sense of failure.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
After much hemming and hawing, I think the closest description for me is a 1w2 so/sx/sp. I very much identify with the reformer part of things. I'm compelled to see what needs changing in the system or organization I'm working in. That can be very good, but it is also negative in that there is either an internal struggle that I feel or else I'm going to be at loggerheads with those in charge (especially when it doesn't appear that they have a philosophy or plan driving their decision making and what they are doing is not working effectively.) I'm afraid though that the self-driven, efficient part of me doesn't sound quite right, unless given particular circumstances. I tend to prioritize what I actually think matters and whether others will be negatively impacted if I do it or not, so it is a conscious decision even though onlookers may think it is being irresponsible.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
2) Hear what other types have to say. What do you think of 1s? Is it true on this forum as on the other that there's a common problem with understanding 1s? Why or why not?

Hmm....I'm surprised to hear this. The 1 type is much easier for me to grasp than a few other types. 1 is supposed to be my integration point, which makes a lot of sense for me and why I think I've always found the 1 profile rather admirable. I assumed in the real world, that there would be many 1s....these online forums aren't the best samples...

Some specific questions for other types might be:
What psychological trait is most admirable, and what trait is most deplorable, in 1s?

I think I admire the integrity and steadfastness, and the self-control & selflessness.The most unlikable part is when these good traits turn into being critical and judgmental.

What psychological trait in type 1s is easiest for you to understand/relate to, and which is the hardest?

Setting noble goals, being ethical, having high standards, being a perfectionist - I can relate to that. I don't relate to being so structured, methodical, fastidious, strict with self - it's not all bad, I just don't relate to it.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I love this description of ones:

Type 1 Enneagram Type Description |9types.com

I think I relate to it more than any of the others.
"Take your share of the responsibility so I don't end up with all the work" is the story of my life. First to lead, last to leave and shut the lights. I long for a project with someone with goals and stamina to match.

Great exposition, by the way. I'll be checking other type statements, too.