• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7w8 vs 7w6?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not sure which i am now... :(

can someone of either type help me spot the differences?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
7w6s are a lot more insecure and anxious when it comes to their goals and skills. They are also a lot more fantastical and less grounded in reality. They are the dreamer side of 7.

7w8s are a lot more aggressive, confident, and domineering. They are more practical and the real go-getters when it comes to their creative pursuits. They don't let anything stand in their way.

Keep in mind though that both still are 7s in that they value new experiences, personal creativity, adventure, freedom, and independence. I'm not a scholar on this stuff, but from what I gather, ENFP and 7w6 are more in alignment than ENFP and 7w8 (but don't let that be the deciding factor).

I'd suggest this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/24963-type-seven.html

It does a great job of identifying what makes one a 7w6 vs a 7w8, and it helped me see that I'm actually not a w8 but indeed a w6.

Anyway hope that helps!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w6s are a lot more insecure and anxious when it comes to their goals and skills. They are also a lot more fantastical and less grounded in reality. They are the dreamer side of 7.

7w8s are a lot more aggressive, confident, and domineering. They are more practical and the real go-getters when it comes to their creative pursuits. They don't let anything stand in their way.

Keep in mind though that both still are 7s in that they value new experiences, creativity, adventure, freedom, and independence. I'm not a scholar on this stuff, but from what I gather, ENFP and 7w6 are more in alignment than ENFP and 7w8 (but don't let that be your deciding factor).

I'd suggest this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/24963-type-seven.html

It does a great job of identifying what makes one a 7w6 vs a 7w8, and it helped me see that I'm actually not a w8 but indeed a w6.

Anyway hope that helps!

yes that's the thread that confused me too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

TESTIFY!!! :yay: :woot: :banana:

Keep in mind though that both still are 7s in that they value new experiences, adventure, freedom, and independence. I'm not a scholar on this stuff, but from what I gather, ENFP and 7w6 are more in alignment than ENFP and 7w8 (but don't let that be your deciding factor).

There are quite a few ESTP and ENTP 7w8s on this board...
ENFP does seem more aligned with 7w6, although I am not an expert either...

Awesome, thanks for the link. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
halla you've totally already posted in that thread too! haha

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just took the test again making sure to be totally honest and still got 7w8

not sure tho....

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i feel like i am....but definitely not as much as my type 8 friend

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i feel like i am....but definitely not as much as my type 8 friend

Well there's always the concept of relativity to skew things, right? :)

These lines says alot to me:

"They are more practical and the real go-getters when it comes to their creative pursuits. They don't let anything stand in their way."

If you can't identify with the gist of the above, but don't consider yourself a "passive dreamer" then maybe you are a "7" and not "7w6" OR "7w8."

Does that make sense? :huh:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a 7w8. I think we are a lot more driven and focused and serious than your typical 7w6. I guess you probably figured that out already, though.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think ENFP with strong Te can seem to themselves like a 7w8 even if they are not. When I read the descriptions I thought i might be an 8 wing, but after testing this couldn't be further from the truth.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 7w8. I think we are a lot more driven and focused and serious than your typical 7w6. I guess you probably figured that out already, though.

hmm...i guess.... but i think i can't tell which i am.

this is what i got earlier when i took the test again.

Picture1-5.jpg

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so...i just read this. kinda interesting
Here's the description of The Wing from How the Enneagram Personality System Works

No one is a pure personality type: everyone is a unique mixture of his or her basic type and usually one of the two types adjacent to it on the circumference of the Enneagram. One of the two types adjacent to your basic type is called your wing.

Your basic type dominates your overall personality, while the wing complements it and adds important, sometimes contradictory, elements to your total personality. Your wing is the "second side" of your personality, and it must be taken into consideration to better understand yourself or someone else. For example, if you are a personality type Nine, you will have likely have either a One-wing or an Eight-wing, and your personality as a whole can best be understood by considering the traits of the Nine as they uniquely blend with the traits of either the One or the Eight. In our teaching experience over the years, we have also encountered some individuals who seem to have both wings, while others are strongly influenced by their basic type and show little of either wing.

There is disagreement among the various traditions of the Enneagram about whether individuals have one or two wings. Strictly speaking, everyone has two wings—in the restricted sense that both of the types adjacent to your basic type are operative in your personality since each person possesses the potentials of all nine types. However, this is not what is usually meant by "having two wings," and proponents of the so-called two-wing theory believe that both wings operate more or less equally in everyone's personality. (For example, they believe that a Nine would have roughly equal amounts of his or her Eight and One wings.)

Observation of people leads us to conclude that while the two-wing theory applies to some individuals, most people have a dominant wing. In the vast majority of people, while the so-called second wing always remains operative to some degree, the dominant wing is far more important. (For example, Twos with Three-wings are noticeably different from Twos with One-wings, and while Twos with Three-wings have a One-wing, it is not nearly as important as the Three-wing.) It is therefore clearer to refer simply to a type's "wing" as opposed to its "dominant wing," since the two terms represent the same concept.

One other observation about wings is worth mentioning. In the course of teaching the Enneagram in workshops and Trainings, many people in the latter half of their lives have reported the development of their so-called "second wing." And in individuals who have been pursuing psychological and/or spiritual work, we have seen evidence that this is true. We do not know, however, whether these students were merely seeing all of the positive potentials of the nine types unfolding in them as they matured—their second wing being one of the other seven types—or whether this was a specific development of the second wing type. We will continue to investigate this idea in our work with our students and colleagues.

It is, of course, necessary to identify your basic type before you can assess which wing you have. Besides indicating your basic type, the Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator may also indicate your wing. Even so, the best way to understand the influence of your wing is to read the full descriptions of your type and its wings in Personality Types. You can also read the descriptions of the two types adjacent to your basic type and decide which best applies to you.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
7w6 are better with people/more friendly and mentally quicker/all over the place. 7w8s are kind of meaner but in a sufficiently endearing way (they're still 7) and their thinking is a bit more grounded, but sometimes slower. 7w6 has also larger mood swings, thus it can more easily appear really happy or somewhat bitchy. 7w8 is rarely as bubbly as 7w6, however they (we) will also try to never get our emotions down.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cool thanks...yeah i think i'm pretty sure i'm 7w6. i realized that i get all assertive and confrontational when protecting or standing up for someone or some idea...which seems to be a more loyalist motivation.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ENFP with strong Te can seem to themselves like a 7w8 even if they are not. When I read the descriptions I thought i might be an 8 wing, but after testing this couldn't be further from the truth.

It's either that or this 'strong Te' doesn't exist and the ENFPs that think they have this are just 7w8s :cheese:

cool thanks...yeah i think i'm pretty sure i'm 7w6. i realized that i get all assertive and confrontational when protecting or standing up for someone or some idea...which seems to be a more loyalist motivation.

Do you mean defensive?

You have always seemed rather 7w6 to me.

7w6s are naturally smarter and cooler than 7w8s, not to mention, they basically OWN the thinking triad :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ugh...i am defensive yeah :/

i relate to the 8 profile in that protective/assertive way but more so to the 6 overall.

but for whatever reason i've only ever tested 7w8

whatever...because owning the thinking triad sounds way cool...i like it. :)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ugh...i am defensive yeah :/

i relate to the 8 profile in that protective/assertive way but more so to the 6 overall.

but for whatever reason i've only ever tested 7w8

whatever...because owning the thinking triad sounds way cool...i like it. :)

The tests suck... but that's probably because it's pretty hard to see yourself without being a bit biased, or flat out wrong. Maybe if you forced a good friend to complete it for you or something?