• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Is enneagram 6 real?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How can one be afraid of everything? Isn't that like paranoia!?!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How can one be afraid of everything? Isn't that like paranoia!?!

Fear is the most useless emotion of all.
It is actually just as useless as insecurity.
Both sicken me. :thumbdown:

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Paranoia and self-doubt are different. There's a difference between having a healthy (interconnection) and unhealthy (disconnection) reliance on others. Having a disconnect with an inner guidance system is not to say that sixes are always fearful and insecure, but they are a bit of a content contradiction, with their externally placed safety nets of security. But what do I know, I'm a mere 8w9. lol.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
lol, the type is based on reality, the descriptions are not.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well sixes aren't really afraid of everything, that's just a silly characterization. The type itself is as real as any of the other Enneagram types. How real that is, is up for debate.

Fear is the most useless emotion of all.
It is actually just as useless as insecurity.
Both sicken me. :thumbdown:

Fear is the first emotion, and the most useful!

nanook

a scream in a vortex
you know, there is also such a thing as unconscious fear.
just saying.

those types are basically all about avoiding fear.
like the myth of the eight: i have to fhuck it before it makes me feel fear ...
or the myth of the two: i have to be of service, before i feel my fear of being needy and dependent.

all psychological issues are based in fear.

the fearfull neurotic is quite creative in avoiding fear by replacing it with worries. this gives mental control. even though inferiority or worrying or guilt are not pleasant, they are not the pure feeling that is avoided, and they are not as fucking bad.
this is closely related to "hysteria" (which is an outdated term)

this type uses extroverted judging.

this is one mechanism, that works with almost all sorts of fears, so its not defined what exactly this type of neurotic is afraid of.
it's more likely physical punishment than guilt/shame (which is emotional punishment), if any of the two.

the myth of six is usually based on this type, but often the descriptions mix other things into it, that are not perfectly compatible ... its like there are various types of sixes.... or some of them would be better described as ones. the ones who fear to be guilty of not living up to 'their' responsibilities and who avoid becoming conscious of this fear by being perfectly dutyfull at all times. this type uses introverted judging. its more concerned with the shame of guilt.

both lead to paranoia, altough again, two types of paranoia.

paranoia is a projection of anger.

the responsible type (introverted or dominant judging) projects the harshness of his judgments in order to automate them at all times. so they come back as projections. he feels that the world is only concerned with finding out, whether he is actually "made out" of his ideals of being morally correct and uncorruptable, or whether he just fakes it. of course he has just made up his perfection - this is what introverted judgement does. this is the insane paranoid guy, who sees the secret service behind every corner. he is just to upright to be accepted in this corrupt evil world. they want to get him, and intrigue against him to destroy his face.

the hysteric type (extroverted or secondary judging) projects his unconscious suppression of unwelcome traits (mostly the desire to dominate and lead), that he forces upon himself. he tries to feel safer by not admitting, that he even has such traits/desires. so he feels like he is being attacked by such negative traits in others. everyone is trying to suppress him, dominate and lead him, and he can't do anything about it. this is the "self fulfilling prophecy guy", and the "acting out" "paranoid cop killer".

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
On the same note, are ISTPs real, or just INTPs with ADD?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well sixes aren't really afraid of everything, that's just a silly characterization. The type itself is as real as any of the other Enneagram types. How real that is, is up for debate.

Good point.

Fear is the first emotion, and the most useful!

OK, I am getting :sick:
The reason I detest fear as I do is that I have seen it accomplish nothing useful when expressed in an active state.

Sure, some will argue that fear of getting hit by a car makes one cross the street carefully, but others will say that is a matter of common sense, not fear.

Whenever I see people all anxious about the possibility of something bad happening, I just can't help myself in thinking "Well, how is worrying about it going to lessen the probability of the bad event occurring?"

It won't. :doh:

I guess my issue is with dysfunctional fear.

Some will say 7's embrace gluttony to forgo fear of boredom. It's just too easy of an analogy. Just because a person don't like something doesn't mean they are afraid of it. :cheese:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My experience with ISTPs is that they are like INTPs, but hands-on and prone to saying "whatever" when you make a philosophical observation.

Sure, some will argue that fear of getting hit by a car makes one cross the street carefully, but others will say that is a matter of common sense, not fear.

What is common sense? That's one of those phrases I always raise an eyebow at.

Whenever I see people all anxious about the possibility of something bad happening, I just can't help myself in thinking "Well, how is worrying about it going to lessen the probability of the bad event occurring?"

It won't. :doh:

The fear doesn't fix the problem, but the fear is the whole reason you are seeking to fix the problem, it is the reason you have deemed something to be a problem in the first place. Fear, like all feelings, is not a solution, but a motivator.

I guess my issue is with dysfunctional fear.

Some will say 7's embrace gluttony to forgo fear of boredom. It's just too easy of an analogy. Just because a person don't like something doesn't mean they are afraid of it. :cheese:

Well, I think all motives can be at once described as a desire and as a fear. It's technically accurate as far as I can tell.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is common sense? That's one of those phrases I always raise an eyebow at.

In my example, common sense is not getting hit by a car when you cross the street. I don't know how much more basic I can make that, work with me here, OK? :laugh:

The fear doesn't fix the problem, but the fear is the whole reason you are seeking to fix the problem, it is the reason you have deemed something to be a problem in the first place. Fear, like all feelings, is not a solution, but a motivator.

The XSTP brain is not motivated as such. That's all I can tell you. The whole concept you describe is alien. I'm not saying it isn't real or valid, I'm just saying that I don't relate to it at all. I'm not hatin'.

Well, I think all motives can be at once described as a desire and as a fear. It's technically accurate as far as I can tell.

Hmmmm. Sounds like "half empty OR half full" to me. :yes:
Regardless, I've always taken the "half full" perspective, and thus I will also do so here, and continue to dismiss fear. :cheese:

You do as you like, whatever works for you, live and let live. :newwink:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
you know, there is also such a thing as unconscious fear.
just saying.

those types are basically all about avoiding fear.
like the myth of the eight: i have to fhuck it before it makes me feel fear ...
or the myth of the two: i have to be of service, before i feel my fear of being needy and dependent.

all psychological issues are based in fear.

the fearfull neurotic is quite creative in avoiding fear by replacing it with worries. this gives mental control. even though inferiority or worrying or guilt are not pleasant, they are not the pure feeling that is avoided, and they are not as fucking bad.
this is closely related to "hysteria" (which is an outdated term)

this type uses extroverted judging.

this is one mechanism, that works with almost all sorts of fears, so its not defined what exactly this type of neurotic is afraid of.
it's more likely physical punishment than guilt/shame (which is emotional punishment), if any of the two.

the myth of six is usually based on this type, but often the descriptions mix other things into it, that are not perfectly compatible ... its like there are various types of sixes.... or some of them would be better described as ones. the ones who fear to be guilty of not living up to 'their' responsibilities and who avoid becoming conscious of this fear by being perfectly dutyfull at all times. this type uses introverted judging. its more concerned with the shame of guilt.

both lead to paranoia, altough again, two types of paranoia.

paranoia is a projection of anger.

the responsible type (introverted or dominant judging) projects the harshness of his judgments in order to automate them at all times. so they come back as projections. he feels that the world is only concerned with finding out, whether he is actually "made out" of his ideals of being morally correct and uncorruptable, or whether he just fakes it. of course he has just made up his perfection - this is what introverted judgement does. this is the insane paranoid guy, who sees the secret service behind every corner. he is just to upright to be accepted in this corrupt evil world. they want to get him, and intrigue against him to destroy his face.

the hysteric type (extroverted or secondary judging) projects his unconscious suppression of unwelcome traits (mostly the desire to dominate and lead), that he forces upon himself. he tries to feel safer by not admitting, that he even has such traits/desires. so he feels like he is being attacked by such negative traits in others. everyone is trying to suppress him, dominate and lead him, and he can't do anything about it. this is the "self fulfilling prophecy guy", and the "acting out" "paranoid cop killer".

+1 good post, good distinction. Me likes how it's intertwined with jung stuff

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The XSTP brain is not motivated as such. That's all I can tell you. The whole concept you describe is alien. I'm not saying it isn't real or valid, I'm just saying that I don't relate to it at all. I'm not hatin'.

What about harm coming to those you love? STPs don't experience that?

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey! I would like you to cope everyday fearing that somewhere something is out to destroy you. ;]

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks as though I am e6. I relate very much to the anxiety and the constant internal questioning of my own decisions and others' motives. But I don't think most people would describe me as fearful...