User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFP Type 5?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default INFP Type 5?

It seems so contradictory to be an INFP and a Type 5 but I *always* test as 5w4 (though my 4 and 5 scores are just about equal).

While I can relate to feelings of guilt and shame and many of the unhealthy 4 levels, I am alien to the feelings of emotional attachment (to other people) and more-so feel myself as an "outer power" (almost inhuman). Rather than feeling elite, I feel below other humans (I feel, instead, that I should serve or simply observe them).

I feed off my melancholic and ecstatic emotions ("the world is beautiful, I must sob") alike but, at a certain point, they overwhelm me and I must detach myself.

Most contradictory, perhaps, I can be either overly subjective/empathetic (e.g. with serial killers) or calm/objective in a tense situation. I guess that I should clarify that much of my empathy is rooted in my belief that everyone deserves love equally (and even if one is "bad" or "evil", I find it fascinating, which is worthy of love alone).

I will add that I'm most definitely an INFP but am pretty near T and J.

So, I've read/heard that INFPs can only be mistyped as 5. Do you think that this is true, just a general rule, what?

(Sorry for the rambling, I felt I should elaborate why I'm confused - I don't know much about the Enneagram in relation to MBTI)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Where did you hear this? What's your source? Just some guy on the internet that made these correlations up?

I know INFP type 5's... They exist. I'm not sure why they wouldn't exist.

5 vs 4: Fives periodically feel overwhelmed by their emotions and have to detach from them while fours are at home in their emotions and can't amplify them enough.

If you have to detach yourself that sounds about right for 5.

Also read the triad descriptions Triad Definitions

And these type descriptions-

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-five.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-four.html
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

maybe you find this intresting JavaScript Tool for Exploring Typological Space
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read
    Likes helloxsanta liked this post

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Fi-doms respond primarily with judgment of the subjective quality of what they're experiencing. Being a Five as well just means that you'll seek to understand everything objectively, so you'll try to detach and objectively analyse your subjective Fi reactions to make sure they're 'right' and reliable, and for the sake of understanding something.

I thought I was a Four because I think about my emotional reactions a lot and am interested in emotional subject matter, but I don't think about my feelings for the same reasons or in the same way that Fours do.

For one thing, I'm not primarily preoccupied with my own worth. Although like most people who have them, I have been during depressive episodes and therefore have strong memories of thinking like an unhappy Four and a strong aversion to ever feeling that way again, the rest of the time I'm far more concerned about my security (thinking triad) than my worth (feeling triad), and in fact during most depressive episodes as well this has remained the case.

I also relate more to the typical Five here and in fleshspace than I do to the Fours. I'm more sensitive in both the good and bad sense, and lean somewhat more towards analysing more human issues in depth than purely technical ones like mechanics or chemistry, due to Fi, but other than that I feel more similar to them.

I do think that E-Five INFPs are probably relatively uncommon forms of each camp and so won't fit the non-defining stereotypes of them as much. If you don't feel quite at home somehow, identifying with either most FPs or Fives that you know despite having the defining characteristics of the types, I think it's more likely you're both.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Where did you hear this? What's your source? Just some guy on the internet that made these correlations up?

I know INFP type 5's... They exist. I'm not sure why they wouldn't exist.

5 vs 4: Fives periodically feel overwhelmed by their emotions and have to detach from them while fours are at home in their emotions and can't amplify them enough.

Also read the triad descriptions Triad Definitions

And these type descriptions-

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-five.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-four.html
    More just like LOTS of guys on the internet that made these correlations up (and since I was/am not an Enneagram expert I came here to ask you guys ). Yeah, I'm definitely a 5w4.

Thanks for the triad descriptions, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Fi-doms respond primarily with judgment of the subjective quality of what they're experiencing. Being a Five as well just means that you'll seek to understand everything objectively, so you'll try to detach and objectively analyse your subjective Fi reactions to make sure they're 'right' and reliable, and for the sake of understanding something.

I thought I was a Four because I think about my emotional reactions a lot and am interested in emotional subject matter, but I don't think about my feelings for the same reasons or in the same way that Fours do.

For one thing, I'm not primarily preoccupied with my own worth. Although like most people who have them, I have been during depressive episodes and therefore have strong memories of thinking like an unhappy Four and a strong aversion to ever feeling that way again, the rest of the time I'm far more concerned about my security (thinking triad) than my worth (feeling triad), and in fact during most depressive episodes as well this has remained the case.

I also relate more to the typical Five here and in fleshspace than I do to the Fours. I'm more sensitive in both the good and bad sense, and lean somewhat more towards analysing more human issues in depth than purely technical ones like mechanics or chemistry, due to Fi, but other than that I feel more similar to them.

I do think that E-Five INFPs are probably relatively uncommon forms of each camp and so won't fit the non-defining stereotypes of them as much. If you don't feel quite at home somehow, identifying with either most FPs or Fives that you know despite having the defining characteristics of the types, I think it's more likely you're both.
    This I can completely identify with. Thank you for stating it much more eloquently than I probably could I especially relate to detaching to analyze emotions (for the sake of understanding).

Maybe this is why I like the INTPs so much

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post

Yeah, BlackCat is right.

Fives tend to detach from their feelings when they feel overwhelmed by them.

Another comparsion I've read between 4w5 INFPs and 5w4 INFPs is that 4w5s tend to take romantic elements and give them darkness (i.e, Tim Burton films) whereas 5w4s just romanticize sadness and adversity. Slight differences, but they're important.

Also, I, too, tend to have a soft spot for INTPs. Can't help it.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I recall seeing a page with a description of INFP 5w4's (well I think it was for INFP). It looked like it was written in a text document or something but I can't remember the URL. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was posted on INFPgc a while ago before the forum shut down.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I agree that INFPs can be type 5s, and I think I'm one of them. I think that one of the uses of Fi is awareness of and ability to modify one's own emotional state.

I think that a type 4 INFPs uses Fi to amp up emotional responses, but a type 5 INFP uses Fi to amp it down. Also, a type 5 INFP is more likely to intellectualize and rationalize feelings in order to feel distance from and control of them. Because it's still primarily Fi, it's going to be more subjective and values-informed than an INTP doing the same thing, but it's a similar process.

Also, I don't see the INFP tendency to withdraw from conflict as clashing with the nature of type 5. Our reticence and need to understand fully before presenting things fits well, too.

I can see that it wouldn't the most common typical type for INFPs, though. It certainly doesn't fit with the "whiny emo" stereotype, though.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Another comparsion I've read between 4w5 INFPs and 5w4 INFPs is that 4w5s tend to take romantic elements and give them darkness (i.e, Tim Burton films) whereas 5w4s just romanticize sadness and adversity. Slight differences, but they're important.
    That's interesting, romanticising sadness was one of the things that made me think I might be a Four. I don't daydream about myself however or have a 'fantasy self' as Fours do. My impulse is to daydream and have dark fantasies to process my feelings in a vicarious, escapist way that saves me the bother of being bombarded by an unstoppable stream of worrying thoughts about my own situation. It's really a way of avoiding thinking about how to solve my problems while also avoiding the strain of suppressing or denying the emotions they're causing, which would make those thoughts break through. An ingeniusly dysfunctional solution.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    My impulse is to daydream and have dark fantasies to process my feelings in a vicarious, escapist way that saves me the bother of being bombarded by an unstoppable stream of worrying thoughts about my own situation. It's really a way of avoiding thinking about how to solve my problems while also avoiding the strain of suppressing or denying the emotions they're causing. Ingenius really.
    Wow, I basically do the exact same thing to myself.

Lately, I've been wondering if you can have a balanced enneagram. Like, sometimes I feel like a four and other days definitely a five. I can't really separate myself from either of them so easily.