• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] INFP Type 5?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's no way Enneagram is more complex than MBTI. Each Enneagram type is based on one's core motivation, which means that 1) it can be summed up to one sentence (or even one word), and 2) it can change constantly. People's motivations are the second most malleable portion of their personality, after their outwardly expressed behavior.

If by motivation you mean "monday, I want to buy a care, saturday I want to fuck that girl and the next month I want to travel around the world", of course it's malleable. But enneagram is more: lost essential quality>>>compulsive way to deal with pain>>>>motivations.

Very different.;)

VagrantFarce

There's a difference between picking out your own type, and letting a test pick out your type for you. MY test scores ARE inconsistent, and they DO have something to do with mood/environment-- nothing will change that fact.

Ps. Last night, I got 6w5 from my usual 5w4 and 6w7. Again, the test scores changed.

Well, a test is only as accurate as the information it's given and the scoring methodology it uses. That doesn't invalidate the enneagram itself.

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hello, I am brand new.
I am without doubt INFP, I took the other test
and it said I was 5w4. The 5 and the 4 were one point apart, next was 9 (peacemaker)
I AM GOING TO TAKE THIS TEST AGAIN. Is it true that INFP is by far the most rare ?
and that 5 is very rare among them ? the first guy in this thread said he felt " different "...alien
to other humans. I have felt this way...and my test scores (types) seem to justify these feelings.

I understand that 9 and 5-4 are said to be "opposites" ? is that true ?
I love science and science fiction. I write science fiction. serious writing. I have one long novel that is
a combination of science fiction and Harry Potter type magic stuff. My writing may 'suck' but I am serious about it.
I do it mostly because I 'need' to, like scratching an itch .

I am also very much into art and beauty , but ALL I like is Morbid and Grotesque.
traditional beauty is of no interest to me.

please maybe someone could post a link to a chart that shows the 'rarity' of different
combo's ....like INFp and 5w4.

above is my first post ever. please be patient .

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get the sense that a lot of type five INFPs are writers or aspiring writers. Am I alone in this?

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought the INFP was the " writer " ...type 5 or other wise.
but...if 5w4 is also known to be 'writers' then ..yeah I got a double wammy !

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
wait

I just took another test. it said I was fully a type 9 , the mots common
for INFP ...so I now believe I am type 9, I also believe that I am
a variant:: sex-self presvtn. ...sx/sp .
is there a test for this ?

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You are most likely a type 9 (the Peacemaker) with 1 wing

Sexual variant

Type 9 SX
Type 5 SP
Type 4 SP
Type 2 SO
Type 7 SP
Type 6 SO
Type 1 SX
Type 3 SO
Type 8 SO

OK WAIT AGain ~~~
THE TEST I took say that my variant s sx . I believe this (sex)
and it seems to say that I am 9w1 ?
am I reading that right ? the 1 was way down the list
8 was last

Alea_iacta_est

You are most likely a type 9 (the Peacemaker) with 1 wing

Sexual variant

Type 9 SX
Type 5 SP
Type 4 SP
Type 2 SO
Type 7 SP
Type 6 SO
Type 1 SX
Type 3 SO
Type 8 SO

OK WAIT AGain ~~~
THE TEST I took say that my variant s sx . I believe this (sex)
and it seems to say that I am 9w1 ?
am I reading that right ? the 1 was way down the list
8 was last

INFP 4-5-9's a pretty good match I would say.

9's are the most interesting of the Enneagram and are often referred to as the "crown".
They can be morally just like a 1, caring like a 2, self-confident like a 3, creative like a 4, analytic like a 5, loyal like a 6, energetic like a 7, stubborn and strong like an 8, but the type least like the 9 is actually the 9 itself, and that is where it falters.

Plus your hope to be a special snowflake suggests you have a strong 4 fix.

Cantus Firmus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=20720]Tiny[/MENTION], I'm also an INFP, and I had very similar test results to you. I got 5, 4, and 9 from different test. I think I'm a 5, but honestly they all describe me well. I've seen a few other INFP 459s around here, as well. So it doesn't seem uncommon, at least among INFPs.

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have done some more reading and I am convinced of \
the 5-4-9 thingy to go with my INFP.
iV READ THAT SOME PEOPLE mis-Dx'd themselves for years
on end/ so ...Im good right now with saying that
im INFP,5w4 !

some feel like they were born into the wrong families...
...some feel like they were born on the wrong planet !

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
also everyone...you can do an Image-search for
INFP...ITS COOL !
i BELIEVE MY AVATAR IS AN infp PIC !

Tiny

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
My wife is an ENFP...and this pic is SOOO HER !!!

S104_ENFP.jpg

i CANT EXPLAIN WHY BUT IT IS...ITS SOOO HER
Iv never seen anything that says the combo
INFP and ENFP is either good or bad...
anyone know ? We are happily married for 10 years this May.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think generally 4 and 9 (and to a lesser degree 6) are both (or all) more likely for INFP than 5 (although I clearly think INFP 5s do happen). Type 9s in particular can tend to mis-type of 5s, so I think 9 is worth giving some consideration to, if you haven't already.

I'd take enneagram test results with a grain of salt, since I think the enneagram is more about our habitual defense mechanisms, and we tend to be well-defended against awareness of those. I think it pays to think about the areas that trip one up the most... the parts of oneself that get in the way of being engaged and present in one's life.

So... all that is to say that being a 5 isn't about surface traits, but is fundamentally about feeling inadequate and feeling that one has to make up for that lack by preparation. Once needs to learn, analyze, and understand deeply to prepare for the outside world, because one's self, abilities and resources are not enough. The world isn't out to get one (that's more 6), but instead one is fundamentally deficient and so one must make up for that fact.

This leads to the characteristic over-protection of resources and defenses against outsides commitments and other drains on one's time and energy (the "miserly" aspect of the 5). It also leads to an over-emphasis on the mind, and a tendency to ignore other parts of the self.

As far as correlations, here's BlackCat's chart:

MBTI-Enneagram-Correlation2.jpg

Which is based on looking at typology forum members (so may not be representative of the population as a whole). There are other sources that claim make similar claims (that 4, 9, and 6 are more likely for INFPs than 5). Still, only you (and those that know you well) can really judge your type.

Cantus Firmus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So... all that is to say that being a 5 isn't about surface traits, but is fundamentally about feeling inadequate and feeling that one has to make up for that lack by preparation. Once needs to learn, analyze, and understand deeply to prepare for the outside world, because one's self, abilities and resources are not enough. The world isn't out to get one (that's more 6), but instead one is fundamentally deficient and so one must make up for that fact.

This leads to the characteristic over-protection of resources and defenses against outsides commitments and other drains on one's time and energy (the "miserly" aspect of the 5). It also leads to an over-emphasis on the mind, and a tendency to ignore other parts of the self.

[MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION], that's quite helpful, and I'd heard about the 9s-mistyping-as-5s thing before. That 5 description makes more sense than most of the "fear" and weakness-oriented descriptions I've seen. Can you put together a similar description for 9s?

I still think I'm more 5 than 9 than 4, but I also feel that all three resonate quite strongly with me.