User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INFP Type 5?

5 is common type for INFPs. I know INFP often can be 9,4,3,5 and 8. and it's not info from some guy on the internet!!!

Junior Member ScentlessApprentice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5-4

Most contradictory, perhaps, I can be either overly subjective/empathetic (e.g. with serial killers) or calm/objective in a tense situation. I guess that I should clarify that much of my empathy is rooted in my belief that everyone deserves love equally (and even if one is "bad" or "evil", I find it fascinating, which is worthy of love alone).

I feel exactly the same way, it's very very confusing I must say.
    5-4 INFP "The Idealist"

If you want to find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by lua View Post
    It seems so contradictory to be an INFP and a Type 5 but I *always* test as 5w4 (though my 4 and 5 scores are just about equal).

While I can relate to feelings of guilt and shame and many of the unhealthy 4 levels, I am alien to the feelings of emotional attachment (to other people) and more-so feel myself as an "outer power" (almost inhuman). Rather than feeling elite, I feel below other humans (I feel, instead, that I should serve or simply observe them).

I feed off my melancholic and ecstatic emotions ("the world is beautiful, I must sob") alike but, at a certain point, they overwhelm me and I must detach myself.

Most contradictory, perhaps, I can be either overly subjective/empathetic (e.g. with serial killers) or calm/objective in a tense situation. I guess that I should clarify that much of my empathy is rooted in my belief that everyone deserves love equally (and even if one is "bad" or "evil", I find it fascinating, which is worthy of love alone).

I will add that I'm most definitely an INFP but am pretty near T and J.

So, I've read/heard that INFPs can only be mistyped as 5. Do you think that this is true, just a general rule, what?

(Sorry for the rambling, I felt I should elaborate why I'm confused - I don't know much about the Enneagram in relation to MBTI)
    I am an INFj (low j) 5w4 i can relate to almost everything you've said here, especially the areas in bold.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Yeah, I'm definitely an INFP type 5. Not nearly as familiar with Enneagram as I am with MBTI, but I remember in my results, the 9 was one point away from the 5. So I guess that makes me an INFP 5w9? Is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I agree that INFPs can be type 5s, and I think I'm one of them. I think that one of the uses of Fi is awareness of and ability to modify one's own emotional state.

I think that a type 4 INFPs uses Fi to amp up emotional responses, but a type 5 INFP uses Fi to amp it down. Also, a type 5 INFP is more likely to intellectualize and rationalize feelings in order to feel distance from and control of them. Because it's still primarily Fi, it's going to be more subjective and values-informed than an INTP doing the same thing, but it's a similar process.

Also, I don't see the INFP tendency to withdraw from conflict as clashing with the nature of type 5. Our reticence and need to understand fully before presenting things fits well, too.

I can see that it wouldn't the most common typical type for INFPs, though. It certainly doesn't fit with the "whiny emo" stereotype, though.
    Yeah this rings very true for me. I definitely distance myself from my emotions when they get too crazy. Certain things like my own value and ethical system I've developed over the years I've taken great care to make it as efficient and logical as possible. So I guess that explains the 5 to a certain extent? Don't know how much more I can contribute without learning more about Enneagrams though..

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

It seems so contradictory to be an INFP and a Type 5 but I *always* test as 5w4 (though my 4 and 5 scores are just about equal).

While I can relate to feelings of guilt and shame and many of the unhealthy 4 levels, I am alien to the feelings of emotional attachment (to other people) and more-so feel myself as an "outer power" (almost inhuman). Rather than feeling elite, I feel below other humans (I feel, instead, that I should serve or simply observe them).

I feed off my melancholic and ecstatic emotions ("the world is beautiful, I must sob") alike but, at a certain point, they overwhelm me and I must detach myself.

I will add that I'm most definitely an INFP but am pretty near T and J.

So, I've read/heard that INFPs can only be mistyped as 5. Do you think that this is true, just a general rule, what?

(Sorry for the rambling, I felt I should elaborate why I'm confused - I don't know much about the Enneagram in relation to MBTI)
    Here's a good explenation.

Intellectual Fours tend to mistakenly type themselves as Fives, and a heavy wing can certainly exacerbate this tendency. Fours however, unlike Fives, tend to be self-revealing and comfortable with emotional expression.
    INFP's who score on the type 4 type 5 tree is most likely type 4. That includes you and me.. we just so happened to score type 5 because we have strong intellectual pursuits.

Junior Member ScentlessApprentice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5-4

Yeah, I'm definitely an INFP type 5. Not nearly as familiar with Enneagram as I am with MBTI, but I remember in my results, the 9 was one point away from the 5. So I guess that makes me an INFP 5w9? Is that even possible?
    If you're a type five then you can be a 5w4 or a 5w6. Your wing is either of the two numbers next to yours. If you have a lot of 9 qualities, then you probably have a 9 somewhere in your trifix.
    5-4 INFP "The Idealist"

If you want to find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.

brainheart

Yeah I read on here somewhere at some point that if you are an INFP who feels like you don't just quite fit the descriptions- like they're a bit too emotional or dramatic- chances are your enneagram type is not the 'typical' type for INFPs. I would say that's my deal- that's why this whole typing process has been so difficult for me. Likewise, the five in me will not let it go- I have to research and deliberate ad-infinitum until I find the solution. And I think I finally have...
    What made me rethink five (which is how I usually test, by the way), was the description of the sexual variant five in The Wisdom of The Enneagram. It fit me way better than the instinctual variant descriptions for four. Not to mention much in the five description in the book was eerily accurate, like they'd been peering in my windows while I was spending six hours in front of a computer, forgetting about all of my bodily needs and social obligations, not to mention avoiding reality.
    Also, read my sig. I think it explains a lot.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

No, INFP and ISFP 5s are quite common. I suspect type 5 in an Fi-dom is the result of experiencing your feelings as rational discourse. A great example of this is Bella's (ISFP, 5w4 sx/so) internal monologue from Twilight.

It surprises me more, in fact, that ENFP 5s appear to be all but nonexistent. I'd have guessed that a detached, jaded ENFP who used Te to analyze could easily be a Five.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I guess an INFP type 5 have the same need to withdrawn than an IxTx type 5 but for more emotionals reason. They need to withdrawn to deal with their emotions, trying to repress it to not being vulnerable. As investigator, observe the world and seek understanding of it. Possible conflict with inferior Te, trying to control their outside world with efficient and impersonal systems to feel secure and feel allowed to let their emotions move out. Is it the scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    It surprises me more, in fact, that ENFP 5s appear to be all but nonexistent. I'd have guessed that a detached, jaded ENFP who used Te to analyze could easily be a Five.
    ISFP and ENFP type 5 still, if not unexistent, quite uncommon. Is'nt Patti Smith an ENFP 5w4 (Sx/So)?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    ISFP and ENFP type 5 still, if not unexistent, quite uncommon.
    Yes indeed.

Is'nt Patti Smith an ENFP 5w4 (Sx/So)?
    Not sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole