User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INFP Type 5?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    That's interesting, romanticising sadness was one of the things that made me think I might be a Four. I don't daydream about myself however or have a 'fantasy self' as Fours do. My impulse is to daydream and have dark fantasies to process my feelings in a vicarious, escapist way that saves me the bother of being bombarded by an unstoppable stream of worrying thoughts about my own situation. It's really a way of avoiding thinking about how to solve my problems while also avoiding the strain of suppressing or denying the emotions they're causing, which would make those thoughts break through. An ingeniusly dysfunctional solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Wow, I basically do the exact same thing to myself.

Lately, I've been wondering if you can have a balanced enneagram. Like, sometimes I feel like a four and other days definitely a five. I can't really separate myself from either of them so easily.
    Haha, also guilty of doing that exact same thing. The ultimate avoidance. If only it were an Olympic sport...

I think lots of people test differently on their Enneagram depending on their mood/status, but if I'd type anything other than 5w4 it would be another in my tritype: 5,4,9. Don't we use all three, just one more-so than the others?

Enneagram Tritypes

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Wow, I basically do the exact same thing to myself.

Lately, I've been wondering if you can have a balanced enneagram. Like, sometimes I feel like a four and other days definitely a five. I can't really separate myself from either of them so easily.
    Enneagram authors deny this happens but I don't see why. The reason the Four is positioned next to the Five on the Enneagram is that they're both withdrawing types, and (unlike the Nine, the other withdrawing type) both direct their fundamental compulsion primarily inwards instead of primarily outwards or a lot of both, and therefore find each other's behaviours relatively easy to slip into. If the personality develops around the Basic Fear, and everyone experiences all nine Basic Fears to some extent, why should everyone have one fear that's more significant than all the others and develop one resulting set of defences and one self-image that is more significant than all the others? Why not straddle two adjacent types? Maybe they suppose it wouldn't be as efficient or smooth-running as a mind that's devoted most of its energy towards forming one dominant personality structure.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by lua View Post
    ...if I'd type anything other than 5w4 it would be another in my tritype: 5,4,9. Don't we use all three, just one more-so than the others?

Enneagram Tritypes
    That makes sense.

I'm supposing the Heart and the Head would be more at war for the INFP than the Gut.

Enneagram authors deny this happens but I don't see why. The reason the Four is positioned next to the Five on the Enneagram is that they're both withdrawing types, and (unlike the Nine, the other withdrawing type) both direct their fundamental compulsion primarily inwards instead of primarily outwards or a lot of both, and therefore find each other's behaviours relatively easy to slip into.
    Yeah, I agree with you.

If the personality develops around the Basic Fear, and everyone experiences all nine Basic Fears to some extent, why should everyone have one fear that's more significant than all the others and develop one resulting set of defences and one self-image that is more significant than all the others? Why not straddle two adjacent types? Maybe they suppose it wouldn't be as efficient or smooth-running as a mind that's devoted most of its energy towards forming one dominant personality structure.
    That seems kinda linear to me and one-dimensional in regards to personality.

But then again, what do I know?

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by lua View Post
    Haha, also guilty of doing that exact same thing. The ultimate avoidance. If only it were an Olympic sport...

I think lots of people test differently on their Enneagram depending on their mood/status, but if I'd type anything other than 5w4 it would be another in my tritype: 5,4,9. Don't we use all three, just one more-so than the others?

Enneagram Tritypes
    Yes, according to that model, there's one dominant type and two less powerful types for each of the other Centres. Having a dominant way of dealing with the problems of all three Centres makes sense to me. The difference between wing theory and tri-type theory seems to be that wing proponents think that one of the two types you're most similar to by certain measures has the most impact on your personality while the tri-type proponents think that with the Basic Fear dealt with, the most important influence will be the strategies developed for dealing with the problems of the other two Centres. I think it might vary from person to person and that maybe the two can be combined (as BlackCat does in his signature). All I know is, after Five, I behave somewhat like a Four, somewhat like a Nine, somewhat like a Three, somewhat like a One, and I'm not self-aware enough to know in exactly what order.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

That seems kinda linear to me and one-dimensional in regards to personality.

But then again, what do I know?

Don't worry, if the Enneagram system helps you understand yourself and your experiences, it doesn't matter if you don't agree with everything the authors say. I don't, but I still get a lot out of it.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm a 5w4 INFP too. They are around.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yeah, BlackCat is right.

Fives tend to detach from their feelings when they feel overwhelmed by them.

Another comparsion I've read between 4w5 INFPs and 5w4 INFPs is that 4w5s tend to take romantic elements and give them darkness (i.e, Tim Burton films) whereas 5w4s just romanticize sadness and adversity. Slight differences, but they're important.

Also, I, too, tend to have a soft spot for INTPs. Can't help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I agree that INFPs can be type 5s, and I think I'm one of them. I think that one of the uses of Fi is awareness of and ability to modify one's own emotional state.

I think that a type 4 INFPs uses Fi to amp up emotional responses, but a type 5 INFP uses Fi to amp it down. Also, a type 5 INFP is more likely to intellectualize and rationalize feelings in order to feel distance from and control of them. Because it's still primarily Fi, it's going to be more subjective and values-informed than an INTP doing the same thing, but it's a similar process.

Also, I don't see the INFP tendency to withdraw from conflict as clashing with the nature of type 5. Our reticence and need to understand fully before presenting things fits well, too.

I can see that it wouldn't the most common typical type for INFPs, though. It certainly doesn't fit with the "whiny emo" stereotype, though.
    I relate to both of these posts...I test 5 almost as much as I test 4, or I test equal scores for them. I relate to both a lot & more than any of the other types, but admittedly I like the 4 profiles more because they feel so romantically tragic. I think I sometimes have an idea of how I'd like to be and latch onto that over what I really am - idealism clouding my perspective. This makes me consider 5w4 for myself (uh oh! Another INFP personality crisis!!!), especially since I test INTP so much (but no way in hell am I INTP ).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

No, I'm a 5, straight and true to the bone.

Tim Burton is listed as a 5 on one of those sites that turns up at the top of the google searches. Is that not true?

thinking of you

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    I'm a 5w4 INFP too. They are around.
    Same here, although I could pass as a 1w9.

Yes, according to that model, there's one dominant type and two less powerful types for each of the other Centres. Having a dominant way of dealing with the problems of all three Centres makes sense to me. The difference between wing theory and tri-type theory seems to be that wing proponents think that one of the two types you're most similar to by certain measures has the most impact on your personality while the tri-type proponents think that with the Basic Fear dealt with, the most important influence will be the strategies developed for dealing with the problems of the other two Centres. I think it might vary from person to person and that maybe the two can be combined (as BlackCat does in his signature). All I know is, after Five, I behave somewhat like a Four, somewhat like a Nine, somewhat like a Three, somewhat like a One, and I'm not self-aware enough to know in exactly what order.
    I'd never heard of tri-types. Thanks for sharing. :]
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm also an INFP type 5 with a 4 wing.
    I used to be a type 4 with a 5 wing but I gradually changed.
    I've also noticed that at different times of my life I identified more strongly with other types. Like when I was teenager I was a type 1. After that I was a 9 for a few years.
    I think I just take on whatever type helps me cope best with whatever challenges I have at that point in time, but I don't do it consciously, it's more of a subconscious thing.