• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] An INFP with an enneagram 8?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep. That's why I deny (defy? ;)) the statement that it's impossible to be and Eight and an INFP. Perhaps rare, but not impossible. Otherwise, I don't really exist...hmmm...maybe I don't...

It's two different systems, apples and oranges. The probabilities are against such a thing, but that's all. In the InQ you could easily be an Idealist-Realist, the second-most uncommon type in that system of 5 types because they are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum. It would be interesting to see how you score on the Ansir quiz. For example:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru.../47156-ansir-emoting-test-scans-uploaded.html

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I checked it out, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation on how the scoring is actually done...perhaps you can enlighten me?

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And, I would agree that I'm Idealist-Realist - I've been called both; I seek to keep myself grounded in reality, while striving toward an ideal.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I checked it out, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation on how the scoring is actually done...perhaps you can enlighten me?

You give the answers thusly, on a scale of -3 to 3.

Not Me = -3
Mostly Not Me = -2
Somewhat Not Me = -1
Somewhat Me = 1
Mostly Me = 2
This is me = 3

I have an answer key, but there should be an online key somewhere. I think it was taken down. So you'll have to pm me your answers or post it here for scoring.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You give the answers thusly, on a scale of -3 to 3.

Not Me = -3
Mostly Not Me = -2
Somewhat Not Me = -1
Somewhat Me = 1
Mostly Me = 2
This is me = 3

I have an answer key, but there should be an online key somewhere. I think it was taken down. So you'll have to pm me your answers or post it here for scoring.

I mean the self-scoring key may have been taken down. You can always use the key posted here. It's more difficult without self-scoring. But I can also synopsize the type that you score highest on, since you don't have the type-descriptions either.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There might have been some advantage in not revealing your ideas about your types from the get-go.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not much because I'm not as unhealthy as all that. However, I was considered disobedient and defiant as a child (I got my mouth washed out with soap for talking back; slapped for asking questions). I also went to summary courts martial in the US Navy for losing my temper at my supervisor and yelling at him. I have at times, feel some scorn or disdain for others, and often don't apologize when others think it's necessary - I often don't feel guilt where others might. I also dislike apologies from others - my view is that they are manipulative ways to get off the hook; the person ought to learn and not do it again, and strive to make right what they effed up. I like to be in control; I like to be in charge.
I'd like to think that the decade of inner work (therapy, self-education in psychology and spirituality, work with a spiritual teacher, meditation, etc) has moved me more toward a healthier Eight - and now that I know more about the Enneagram, I can pinpoint those areas that are in need of more work. To me, that purpose of the Enneagram is to facilitate personal growth, not put someone in a box, where they stay chained, their type being an excuse for why they are the way they are. I see all ultimately healthy types as containing the healthy qualities of all types.

no matter what health level of 8 you are, reading the description I posted will make most 8s feel somewhat exposed and uncomfortable "I'm....I'm not like that"

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no matter what health level of 8 you are, reading the description I posted will make most 8s feel somewhat exposed and uncomfortable "I'm....I'm not like that"

That depends on the level of narcissism.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That depends on the level of narcissism.

no it doesn't. your enneagram type should not be the one that makes you feel the most "comfortable" so to speak. reading a good description of one's own type should leave them feeling a bit exposed and uncomfortable (after all, their deepest, darkest inner workings and flaws have just been spelled out on a piece of paper). the experience is often met with varying degrees of shame and/or denial and the emotional aspect of the enneagram is undeniable.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no it doesn't. your enneagram type should not be the one that makes you feel the most "comfortable" so to speak. reading a good description of one's own type should leave them feeling a bit exposed and uncomfortable (after all, their deepest, darkest inner workings and flaws have just been spelled out on a piece of paper). the experience is often met with varying degrees of shame and/or denial and the emotional aspect of the enneagram is undeniable.

The level of "denial" is a question of mental health (integration), in this case, an openness to new ideas especially those which are non-complimentary to oneself.

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I started reading about Eights, my first reaction was relief. I finally knew why I had "rage issues", control/power issues (especially with those "above" me) and why people responded to me the way they did (fear, thinking I'm in charge when I'm often not, or that I'm strong and can handle anything, so they don't understand when I'm not). It's true, one doesn't always like reading that one has the potential to be a sociopath, and I was just reading a list of "Famous Eights" today and finding myself lumped in with the likes of Castro, Hussien, and Stalin, to name a few, and thinking I'm not like that!

It's true that admitting to the weaknesses of the Eight "position" does seem to create a vulnerability contrary to an Eight's predisposition. However, there are a few things I've learned in regards in my search for coming into my 'higher' self. One is that having secrets or hiding vulnerabilities (even, and especially, from one's self) is in itself a weakness. Another is the reality that despite my desire to be strong, the reality is that I do have vulnerabilities, even if it appears that I don't in comparison to others. Another is that by exposing my "weaknesses" or that which I'm ashamed of, I can cause the shame to evaporate - by facing the truth of myself, and befriending it, I take away the power it has to control me, and empowers me to make choices instead of acting impulsively from a place of repression.

Several years ago, I watched the movie "Monster" which was about Aileen Wournos, a female serial killer. I found that labels like "monster" create a false separation in one's mind - a Me vs. Not Me, and this is not helpful. Empathy for her, rather than condemnation, seems to be in order, because the reality is that she was imprisoned by her own suffering, which caused her to act out from her place of disempowerment. If we cannot find a place in ourselves with which to be empathetic for others who have done horrible things, then we cannot find a place in ourselves to forgive those acts which are damaging to others, or ourselves. This is, to me, the ultimate weakness. So, my willingness and ability to see those "darker" parts of myself, really comes from a place of the Eight: to find a way to be strong and gain/maintain control and power. Which means, in some ways, that I have not fully transcended my Eightness.

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should also point out that I've been working with therapists and counselors so long that discomfort and exposure are things that I'm comfortable with, even seek out.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I started reading about Eights, my first reaction was relief. I finally knew why I had "rage issues", control/power issues (especially with those "above" me) and why people responded to me the way they did (fear, thinking I'm in charge when I'm often not, or that I'm strong and can handle anything, so they don't understand when I'm not). It's true, one doesn't always like reading that one has the potential to be a sociopath, and I was just reading a list of "Famous Eights" today and finding myself lumped in with the likes of Castro, Hussien, and Stalin, to name a few, and thinking I'm not like that!

It's true that admitting to the weaknesses of the Eight "position" does seem to create a vulnerability contrary to an Eight's predisposition. However, there are a few things I've learned in regards in my search for coming into my 'higher' self. One is that having secrets or hiding vulnerabilities (even, and especially, from one's self) is in itself a weakness. Another is the reality that despite my desire to be strong, the reality is that I do have vulnerabilities, even if it appears that I don't in comparison to others. Another is that by exposing my "weaknesses" or that which I'm ashamed of, I can cause the shame to evaporate - by facing the truth of myself, and befriending it, I take away the power it has to control me, and empowers me to make choices instead of acting impulsively from a place of repression.

Several years ago, I watched the movie "Monster" which was about Aileen Wournos, a female serial killer. I found that labels like "monster" create a false separation in one's mind - a Me vs. Not Me, and this is not helpful.

It's called "otherizing."

Empathy for her, rather than condemnation, seems to be in order, because the reality is that she was imprisoned by her own suffering, which caused her to act out from her place of disempowerment. If we cannot find a place in ourselves with which to be empathetic for others who have done horrible things, then we cannot find a place in ourselves to forgive those acts which are damaging to others, or ourselves. This is, to me, the ultimate weakness. So, my willingness and ability to see those "darker" parts of myself, really comes from a place of the Eight: to find a way to be strong and gain/maintain control and power. Which means, in some ways, that I have not fully transcended my Eightness.

Good luck with that!

kiloeight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm an INFP 8w7. I found this forum thread via google--I was starting to believe I was the only one.

We're out here. We're apparently rare, I think we might be really f'ed up, but we're out here.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
My initial reaction is that they'd be a mistyped ENFP 8, or an INFP 2 that's disintegrated.

ItsPrincess

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am an INFP - type 8, both match up and both describe me pretty well, oh and I am also Taurus I believe I am a pure INFP but world shaped as a type 8, you see, life isn't always rainbows and sugar puffs. I myself don't understand this! and as an INFP it adds to the ¨"No body understands me" concept of mind I usually have. However, over the years I´ve realized that to the world I´m a type 8, but inside and to the people I truly care about and care about me I´m an INFP. I usually put a wall in front of me and it reads Type 8, to protect myself from getting hurt, but when that wall goes down you can see the INFP in me. I could get into it more, well this extremely interesting and I love writing, but I guess I answered your question. It´s difficult, I mean if I don't understand it myself, I can´t ask others to do so. I do wish I was different and not such a contradictory human being , but well life happens, you know?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=22024]ItsPrincess[/MENTION]...

I know a lot of INFP 1's, not a lot of INFP 8's. I wanna see examples of an INFP 8 celebrity or something. Do you have any celebrities you know of that you share likeness with?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I am an INFP - type 8, both match up and both describe me pretty well, oh and I am also Taurus I believe I am a pure INFP but world shaped as a type 8, you see, life isn't always rainbows and sugar puffs. I myself don't understand this! and as an INFP it adds to the ¨"No body understands me" concept of mind I usually have. However, over the years I´ve realized that to the world I´m a type 8, but inside and to the people I truly care about and care about me I´m an INFP. I usually put a wall in front of me and it reads Type 8, to protect myself from getting hurt, but when that wall goes down you can see the INFP in me. I could get into it more, well this extremely interesting and I love writing, but I guess I answered your question. It´s difficult, I mean if I don't understand it myself, I can´t ask others to do so. I do wish I was different and not such a contradictory human being , but well life happens, you know?

Na.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't buy it and wouldn't until I met and talked to one such individual at length. I concur with the health based theories about said person being either:
- Enneagram 5 integrated to great health.
- Enneagram 2 disintegrated to great unhealth.
Also with the possibilities of:
- A counter-phobic 6 mistyping as 8

That said, I am INFx, 8 is my second highest Enneagram score and is very much a visible part of my personality. I could believe these "INFP 8's" might really just be 8-fixed.