• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] An INFP with an enneagram 8?

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Such a freak (just kidding) has been identified, actually: Chart Three-A

My first thought is they were either mistyped or must be a very conflicted creature. However, mightn't a certain kind of 'strong, silent type' of person be an INFP Eight? A bit like Martin the Warrior from the Redwall series (for anyone with that as a reference...) Not that I think he was one, just that there might be ways to manifest a desire for power more conducive to the INFP cognitive preferences.

There are some other results that aren't quite stereotypical as well, INTJ Fours for example, and an ESTP One, but I don't think they're unbelievable.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
An INFP with an 8 enneagram.
Would that even work? And if it did, how on earth would it come off? :shock:
Also, are there any other MBTI types that would sound awkward with a certain enneagram? And have you seen any that exist?

Haha and ISTJ Type 7 would be awkward.
or an ENFP type 1.
ESTJ Type 4.

all would interesting.

I'm an INTJ Type One. :) Most are type 5.

I used to test as an ESTJ Type 8.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
how does that happen

I used to wish I could confront people and get them to listen to me and so I projected that into my answer choices. I am not an E, not in the slightest. I'm also not an S, many need things spelled out too specifically for them. (The biggest difference between my ISTJ friend and myself)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an NFP and I've typed 8 before, but not consistently. I usually type as 4 (I am definitely a 4w3...I think). I think 8 reflects my shadow side.

So are INFPs who claim to consistently be 8s living in their shadow?

I actually was thinking about this the other day because 8 is apparently the unhealthy side of 2, and healthy 2s can look like 4s, so then I was like "Wait!?? I'm I a 2??"

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah even though there isn't any evidence that says that particular MBTI types can't be certain enneagram types (and no that random website that some NT made with "correlations" doesn't count, he didn't have evidence either), some of them just seem really unlikely. Like INFP 8, ESTP 4 etc.

Seems redundant to say it, but what the hell. I agree (though I'd pick ESTJ for the most unlikely 4). No doubt this reply will improve your self-esteem tremendously.

Doesn't type 5 integrate toward type 8? I could see an INFP being a type 5 possibly. Could they then mis-type as a type 8 if they were moving in their direction of integration and displaying the healthy traits of an 8? I would think the tests would have to factor directions of integration and disintegration into their methodologies. Just a thought...

This is plausible. A fair percentage of INFPs are 5s (usually 5w4s), and 5s can act pretty 8ish at times. One place you can witness this firstand is in Border’s, where many of the booksellers are 5s. They can get rather bossy and territorial among themselves.

B

brainheart

How's that work out for them?

I really don't know... I do know, however that we are a very different animal, and she's more extroverted than I am. She says she is an INFP because her values are the most important thing to her vs an ENFP, where it would be ideas, possibilities.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I just think it's projecting. I had my dad test last night.
He's an ESTJ, My mother is ESFJ and my teenage brother is ESTP.
I just wanted to be an extroverted sensor. Haha, not so much anymore.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really don't know... I do know, however that we are a very different animal, and she's more extroverted than I am. She says she is an INFP because her values are the most important thing to her vs an ENFP, where it would be ideas, possibilities.

Um, has she been put in situations where she was pretty much forced to take control?

That's why I tested 8 at one time, I think. But it's not normal or preferable for me. I will do it, though. And how.

B

brainheart

I think so. She is the primary breadwinner in her family combined with being the second oldest in a family of five kids. Conversely, I am the youngest of seven kids- four years younger than the closest in age, and I don't have a job, and I don't need to get one. I imagine the fact that she has always held this position of responsibility (and she has an unhealthy 4 mom) affects her motivations.

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a type 8 and an INFP. I've tested both consistently. Perhaps a rare combination?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a type 8 and an INFP. I've tested both consistently. Perhaps a rare combination?

Testing consistently isn't good enough. You also have to study the type descriptions themselves to verify that the tests were correct.

I would think that an INFP who seems like an 8 would really be a 4w3, the aggressive 4. Which wing of the 8 do you identify with?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
220px-Seanpenn1.jpg

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read several Enneagram books ("The Essential Enneagram", "Wisdom of the Enneagram", "Nine Lenses on the World", etc), spent some time in both a workshop and with a counselor who leads Enneagram classes who, when I question whether I was an 8 or not, said there was no question. I've taken the Myers-Briggs tests repeatedly with the same result INFP - originally, when I took it at 18 (I'm 34), I came out as n ENFJ/P, but a few years later and since I've consistently tested as an INFP (pretty light on the P, though at something like 16%, but 44% at the E). I've been thinking about the wings, and I feel that I identify with both 7 and 9 equally, although the strongest influence for me seems to be my point connections to 5 and 2.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read several Enneagram books ("The Essential Enneagram", "Wisdom of the Enneagram", "Nine Lenses on the World", etc), spent some time in both a workshop and with a counselor who leads Enneagram classes who, when I question whether I was an 8 or not, said there was no question. I've taken the Myers-Briggs tests repeatedly with the same result INFP - originally, when I took it at 18 (I'm 34), I came out as n ENFJ/P, but a few years later and since I've consistently tested as an INFP (pretty light on the P, though at something like 16%, but 44% at the E). I've been thinking about the wings, and I feel that I identify with both 7 and 9 equally, although the strongest influence for me seems to be my point connections to 5 and 2.

I don't understand. 16% P makes you an INFP?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read several Enneagram books ("The Essential Enneagram", "Wisdom of the Enneagram", "Nine Lenses on the World", etc), spent some time in both a workshop and with a counselor who leads Enneagram classes who, when I question whether I was an 8 or not, said there was no question.

I've heard an Enneagram teacher say something similar to a friend of mine. "If you're not a 9, I'll take down my shingle!"

Artemistry

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't mean that the score of 16% P means I'm an INFP, but rather that the NF portions were consistent, but it was the E/I and J/P that changed when I took the test later.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mean that the score of 16% P means I'm an INFP, but rather that the NF portions were consistent, but it was the E/I and J/P that changed when I took the test later.

"I came out as n ENFJ/P, but a few years later and since I've consistently tested as an INFP (pretty light on the P, though at something like 16%, but 44% at the E)."

Confusing.