• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] An INFP with an enneagram 8?

Again_Chloe

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I heard infp is most often 3, 4, 5, 9 and 8. 8 infps are so unusual and usually mistyped as extraverts or confused about it

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP e8 are mistyped. Period.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP type 8 ???:shock::shock::shock:

:huh:

NO.

For a very simple reason : Even if healthy, type 8 can't have Fi as a 1st function.

It does not matter if he/she is an 8 alpha or 8 mu (the 2 variants).

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I didn't know that when taking these tests, we're supposed to be answering the questions as "our walls" and "how we're perceived by others."

Mostly because we're not supposed to.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like shit it can't.

Like shit ?!!!

:shock::mad:

Anyway, enneatype 8 has the emotional center as a 3rd -and repressed- function. ALL IS SAID HERE !

It is inconsistent to conclude that Fi as a dominant function does exist for Type 8! With Denial as a self-defence mechanism. Make me laugh !

Type 8 is one of the types I know best, generally speaking.

I love rational "shits". This one is just totally irrational.

I have around 100 sheets of papers about enneagramm. Those are facts (examples) and precise examples.

Now, who wanna think type 8/INFP does exist will not prevent me from sleeping:tongue: !!!

I also know some fish who can fly... And some cats who can bark...

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22039]Arctic Hysteria[/MENTION] already said, Infp who find themselves typed as 8 are mistyped (they may be some unhealthy 5 for example).
Either in MBTI or in Enneagramm shit tests. There are many of them online, for the persons who still ignore who they truly are under the surface.
Rome was not built in one day...

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the sensing is probably a little too far down the line for an INFP to have an 8's temperament.

I've read in the past that 4s can come across as 8-like on occasion.

I'd say the most likely candidates for E8 are ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP, ESFP, ISFP and ISTP. (Maybe INTJs that are Socionics Ni-ENTjs.)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think any INFP considering type 8 should look at E2 or E5 first.

B1lly_B1lly

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
8w7
Hello guys !!!!!

I'm so happy I found that post ...

Let start with the beginning, I took the MBTI test few years ago with a professionnal teacher and coach and we both agreed quite easily that I was an INFP. (I retook it many times since that and I ended up the same, which I agree with)

And I took the enneagram test recently and I ended up as an 8w7. The person I was with when I took the test was quite agree (as much as I was) that the description was quite accurate about me.

So I looked up the net to see what that combination was about, and that's how I found you guys and your comments saying it was impossible, "period" as someone said ^^

So please tell me why and how this does not make sense ?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm intrigued by the possibility of an INFP 8.
[MENTION=23603]B1lly_B1lly[/MENTION], have you considered enneatype 6? Seems like a fairly common enneatype for INFPs and I can see why 6 types might mistype as 8s.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't get how INFP and 8 is such a contradictory combination. Maybe some of the experts can speak out here? I know someone said something about 8s having their emotional center repressed but does that necessarily mean that feeling as a function is repressed? If this were true then only T-dominant types could ever be type 8?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get how INFP and 8 is such a contradictory combination. Maybe some of the experts can speak out here? I know someone said something about 8s having their emotional center repressed but does that necessarily mean that feeling as a function is repressed? If this were true then only T-dominant types could ever be type 8?

I don't think any enneagram/mbti correlation is impossible.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Doesn't type 5 integrate toward type 8? I could see an INFP being a type 5 possibly. Could they then mis-type as a type 8 if they were moving in their direction of integration and displaying the healthy traits of an 8? I would think the tests would have to factor directions of integration and disintegration into their methodologies. Just a thought...

Hi, you INFP person :hi:

With all due respect to you being INFP and type 4.......I'd be more likely to think it would be an INFP with an enneagram that disintegrates into an 8...I just checked, so that would be enneagram 2. Because I associate 8 with Te, right? That would mean an INFP under severe stress as it's the opposite function to your dominant.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An INFP 8 is either a mistyped INFP or a mistyped 8.

I might cop to ISFP 8, though.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Not an expert, but I wanna give my opinion :tongue:
Because (if I'm not mistaken) being an 8 is about being rational and not accepting bullshit. The sort of things I'd associate with Te. The intricate feelings of Fi would be so far out for the "non-personal" logic that is associated type 8. Wouldn't you think? It doesn't mean that all type 8's need to be Te dominant. I can definitely see INTJs as 8...but there, they have objective logic, Ni followed by Te. It is so bizarre to associate type 8 with Ne-Fi, these are both "subjective", "irrational" functions, their main concern isn't logic and impersonal, objective analysis, quite the opposite.

Naranjo called the type 8 as the "sadistic character and lust". That goes incredibly against Fi, I think.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So please tell me why and how this does not make sense ?

I don't get how INFP and 8 is such a contradictory combination.

What Wind up rex said.

An INFP 8 is either a mistyped INFP or a mistyped 8.

It isn't like it's totally impossible foreverz. They just don't go together. Like oil and water. Sure an emulsifier would put it there (i.e. degenerating into an 8 from type 2) but they're not really so compatible long term. I'm sure there's someone in the world somewhere that's INFP type 8, healthy, and living the dream. But he's probably in an Amazonian jungle somewhere and their internet is down right now.

And it's important to remember that types have little tidbits of other things in them. An INFP isn't just a cat-loving hermit. You can exhibit traits that are just part of your personality.. an outlier of the norm, but still part of the equation and data nonetheless.

INFPs aren't undriven people. They aren't unmotivated automatically, or striving for independence.. these are things humans in general tend to need and want. So naturally, if they want to find type 8 elements in themselves, they definitely will. Type 8 is one of those types that sounds really sexy to be (especially for young feeler dudes who want to feel a bit manlier and more validated by the macho sounding descriptions of the type 8) and gives everyone something to relate to just a little (like wanting possession over your own life, liking independence, and other cool things) but in reality is just a massive pain in the dick personality that requires constant honing, refining, and tailoring to not be a total uneducated stuck up asswipe to everyone around you.

If you're INFP and typing as an 8, and you're young.. I think I'd look long and hard as to why before I'd be likely to accept that. If 60 year old sociology Professor INFP said he was type 8, well.. I wouldn't argue with him. It's.. possible. I guess.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I heard infp is most often 3, 4, 5, 9 and 8. 8 infps are so unusual and usually mistyped as extraverts or confused about it

No. I would say that 9 is the most common Enneatype for INFPs, then 4 and p6. There are also a few INFP cp6s, 5s (mainly male) and 2s (mainly female).

As others have said...an INFP 8 is probably either an INFP cp6 or an ENFP 8.