123 Last

Thread: 5w4 mb types

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default 5w4 mb types

intp, intj, and infj in this order? what about 5w4 infps? what makes them tick, how do they work, etc?

how are 5w4s different? what's the difference between 5w4 and 5w6 intps and 5w4 and 5w6 intjs?

famous ones? commonalities? differences? interests? particularities? counterphobic tendencies? vs 4w5? other favorite enneagram types? instinctual sub-types?

i'm 5w4 infj sx/sp. i like the writers milan kundera and tom wolfe. also donald barthelme (what type is he?) and vladimir nabokov (who seems 5w4). dostoeyevsky, obviously, and i wonder what borges is. i think rainer marie rilke is an infj 5w4, as are william blake and emily dickinson. nietzsche and probably martin heidegger. i'm guessing david lynch, thom yorke, david byrne, possibly trent reznor, possibly tom waits, wim wenders, probably kieslowski, etc. not sure about comedians. probably captain beefheart, james joyce, stephin merritt of the magnetic fields, brian wilson, and i think 5w4 makes more sense for kafka than 4w5. stanley kubrick?

i like 7w6 enneagram types quite a bit, they open me up and draw me out. i do feel somewhat counterphobic, which creates a bit or neurotic thinking.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

A while ago I favored 5w4. I have never truly decided on my type though, and I am currently more confused than ever .

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

I'm a 5w4. In general terms I think the 4 wing adds an emotional and aesthetic sensitivity. By contrast, 5w6s seem to be very strictly logical types that display almost no emotion and seem to be more about self-preservation. Whereas 5w4s are more iconoclastic.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I think I'm a 5w4. It makes sense, being an INTP who is doing English & creative writing as a major.

I'm an NT who likes writing poetry. There; I said it.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
    I'm a 5w4. In general terms I think the 4 wing adds an emotional and aesthetic sensitivity. By contrast, 5w6s seem to be very strictly logical types that display almost no emotion and seem to be more about self-preservation. Whereas 5w4s are more iconoclastic.
    for some reason i thought you were a 3w4. have you always been 5w4? how does that work with entp?

i'm not sure i am willing to accept this definition of 5w4 vs 5w6. 6 can be phobic, counterphobic, or prussian (whatever that means). i think 6 expression is hugely varied. especially if it actually includes intjs, intps, infjs, isfjs, istjs, and 6w7 enfps and entps. 5w6 would accept circumstances and focus more on protecting and defending against future threats. sp 5w6 would seem very disengaged from the world of people, depending on what relationship to their w6 they'd have. 5w6 social would probably be more social than 5w4 sp/sx. i'm not sure what 5w4 so/sx is like. plus variations between intps, or between intjs would make a wide-ranging difference as well (i don't think you have 5w6 infjs or infps). my impression is that 6 can be far less distanced from feeling than 5, which overexpresses thoguht to create distance and compensate and transform emotional fears into thought. whereas 6 is a weird point in the enneagram that experiences total intersection of most categories, experiences extremes of both directions. 5w4 is more feely only in the sense that it is far more self-aware. 4ness = self-awareness, not emotiveness. but self-awareness is often uncomfortable and creates huge growing pains, feelings of inadequacy, comparison of all points of weakness to others, envy, and occasional bouts of depression (self-awareness creates a big ball of bloatedness that can be exhausting to carry around sometimes!). yet it doesn't HAVE to be expressed in F holism. think of all the ntp 3w4s, who just create a huge mass of self-story/mythology about themselves, stories of their complexity, can't reconcile them into a coherent overarching identity, and are protective of the stories other people know about them as a result of their 3 image-control/need to be seen well in the eyes of others/self-presentation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well I don't know enough about enneagram to answer most of the questions in the OP.

I sense large differences between myself and the enneagram 4's - based on my childhood experiences as well as how I am today, in comparison - I'm simply not emotive at all, and my observational and analytical side definitely existed and was dominant before any internal exploration took place. As a child I did virtually no internal exploration - no analysis of myself and who I was, little awareness of my emotions - I was purely observational, collecting 'data', as it were, of the people around me and how everything worked...mostly related to interactions and people/personality, however, which I suppose is more of the NF twist of enneagram 5 and not so much the T 5's.

Novelists? Hmm, I love Dostoevsky, as well as Dickens and Tolstoy. Kundera was definitely enjoyable, and although I've only read 'Lolita' by Nabakov, I loved it. I also like many other English novelists - George Eliot, W. Somerset Maugham, Thomas Hardy. Others - Henry James, Salmon Rushdie, Steinbeck.....oh, and I LOVE sci-fi (Asimov, Clarke, Anderson, Herbert, Simmons, Banks...) and fantasy. I know many/most of these are not enneagram 5's, however; just listing what I like.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    for some reason i thought you were a 3w4. have you always been 5w4? how does that work with entp?
    I've been trending from I to E for the last several years. I also test high on 7 in enneagram but 5 still comes out slightly higher and feels like "me" (5w4 sx/so to be exact).

i'm not sure i am willing to accept this definition of 5w4 vs 5w6.
    I was speaking in relative terms and leaving the instinctual subtypes out of the mix for simplicity. After all even a 5w4 can vary quite a bit depending on the instinctual subtypes applied to it (sx, sp, so). I know a few at work and am surprised we are the same type as I am far more social and outgoing.

Also the mapping of Enneagram to MBTI is pretty inexact to say the least. Mostly you see INTJ = 5w6 and INTP = 5w4 but there are exceptions (and we are both examples of that).

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
    Also the mapping of Enneagram to MBTI is pretty inexact to say the least. Mostly you see INTJ = 5w6 and INTP = 5w4 but there are exceptions (and we are both examples of that).
    i'd still expect to find some sort of pattern and recognize some basic relationships that make it make sense. i'm a 5w4 and it makes sense bc i was more in line with Ti pursuits, knowledge-gathering, etc, when i was younger than i was in developing any assertiveness whatsoever with Fe. Fe felt like an extremely/hyper-sensitive one-way street.

i didn't start going thru my 4 phase until i was 19 when i started writing. as an infj, 5w4 makes me harder-edged than other infjs. i feel less give and take and more immediate NO, more resistance, more aggression, etc. this is partly sx/sp, but it's also that growing up i was focused on others as wrong more than on myself.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

5w4 are more individualistic than 5w6, stubbornly so, which makes them more isolated. 5w4s are also more fanatasy oriented.
    5w6 intps tend to be the higher achievers and are more "normal" and probably aren't as shy as 5w4.
    thats about all i [think i] know, sorry.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    i didn't start going thru my 4 phase until i was 19 when i started writing. as an infj, 5w4 makes me harder-edged than other infjs. i feel less give and take and more immediate NO, more resistance, more aggression, etc. this is partly sx/sp, but it's also that growing up i was focused on others as wrong more than on myself.
    Are your 5 and 4 scores pretty close? I mean, are you close to being a 4w5?