First 123 Last

Thread: 5w4 mb types

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
    Are your 5 and 4 scores pretty close? I mean, are you close to being a 4w5?
    58/42. the more i lean towards 4, the less i have my shit worked out and the more crazy and unhappy i become (4 takes a lot of practice, you know!).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    58/42. the more i lean towards 4, the less i have my shit worked out and the more crazy and unhappy i become (4 takes a lot of practice, you know!).
    I guess so. My four wing isn't as strong as yours. I have had enough trouble just being a 5. Seems like 5 & 4 are the types that fit into society's expectations the least.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I guess so. My four wing isn't as strong as yours. I have had enough trouble just being a 5. Seems like 5 & 4 are the types that fit into society's expectations the least.
    the 5s i know spend all day reading. i spend less time than most, but i spend an equal amount of time thinking/processing. in what ways do you think 5s don't fit into society's expectations? i think my w4 is what fucks me up far more than my 5ness. expertise is easy. self-integration, self-identity, uniqueness, and a truly individual path are far more difficult judge+jury(s).

5 has difficulty with relationships. the constant push-pull, the inability to give freely, the fear and anxiety of being left behind/discarded, the miserliness, etc. i don't think of these as social expectations so much as i think of them as character flaws. but understandably so, for 5s also seem too in love with knowledge for the sake of knowledge and will pretty much not-stop collecting it even when it is to their detriment, understanding the entire history of the universe is an unavoidable inescapable desire.

what do you struggle with about 5ness? do you relate to the w4?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm a 5w4. I'm not so sure what the stacking of my instincts are though. For a 5, I actually don't have a lot of trouble with relationships as long as they are close, intimate ones where I can be very open. I enjoy that freedom so I can give/take. I don't often meet people I can be that way with though so that is a problem and something that makes me sad.

I have more problems with being easy-going and light in a more widespread social way. I can only naturally be like that if the people in the group are a very particular way but I very rarely am in such situations, and I find it hard to adapt and fit into a lot of external situations.

My w4 is more my impractical dreamy side. I can also relate to the self-identity thing, and it was an issue that used to stress me out a lot until I managed to find satisfactory answers and peace with it in my mid-20s. I am still always getting to know myself though and always wondering what more there is to know about myself, but it feels more of an enjoyable journey now.

I find that a problem with the w4 was that its needs can be very opposed to the 5's needs. When I was younger I made decisions that supported the w4 more, but I was unhappy and not successful. Plus I was feeling the pull of the 5. Then I made big changes in my life and made decisions that supported the 5 more, and was more satisfied and successful. I still satisfy my w4 but in a more appropriate way for me in balance with the 5, now that I'm older and have a bit more self-awareness.

MBTI
    INTP

intp, intj, and infj in this order? what about 5w4 infps? what makes them tick, how do they work, etc?

how are 5w4s different? what's the difference between 5w4 and 5w6 intps and 5w4 and 5w6 intjs?

famous ones? commonalities? differences? interests? particularities? counterphobic tendencies? vs 4w5? other favorite enneagram types? instinctual sub-types?

i'm 5w4 infj sx/sp. i like the writers milan kundera and tom wolfe. also donald barthelme (what type is he?) and vladimir nabokov (who seems 5w4). dostoeyevsky, obviously, and i wonder what borges is. i think rainer marie rilke is an infj 5w4, as are william blake and emily dickinson. nietzsche and probably martin heidegger. i'm guessing david lynch, thom yorke, david byrne, possibly trent reznor, possibly tom waits, wim wenders, probably kieslowski, etc. not sure about comedians. probably captain beefheart, james joyce, stephin merritt of the magnetic fields, brian wilson, and i think 5w4 makes more sense for kafka than 4w5. stanley kubrick?

i like 7w6 enneagram types quite a bit, they open me up and draw me out. i do feel somewhat counterphobic, which creates a bit or neurotic thinking.
    You found it out.
    Jolly good.
    I say an expert job

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

in what ways do you think 5s don't fit into society's expectations?
    Well I think 5w4s are prone to be iconoclastic and flaunt convention, dislike rules for the sake of rules, tend to want to rock the boat and dislike doing something "because that's the way it's always been done". Add to that the tendency to be loners with poor social skills, the quietness misinterpreted often as haughty aloofness or looking down on others. And so on.

Oh the usual issues. I used to struggle with not fitting in when I was in grade school, but at the same time not really wanting to fit in-- and follow the lead of someone I thought was kind of a dumbass anyway-- just for the sake of being more popular.

I do relate to the 4 wing. The kind of romantic/tragic/dark/pathos typified by Poe and others used to appeal to me very strongly when I was a teenager. Still does to some extent. I've always had a well-developed aesthetic sense and have been equally at home in humanities/lit classses as science/math.

How about you?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I'm 5w4 sp/sx. I'm not sure that I personally know any INTJs of other E types, so I can't provide any comparisons.

For authors, I think H.P. Lovecraft could easily be 5w4 (he's also one of my favorites ).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I'm a 5w4. I'm not so sure what the stacking of my instincts are though. For a 5, I actually don't have a lot of trouble with relationships as long as they are close, intimate ones where I can be very open. I enjoy that freedom so I can give/take. I don't often meet people I can be that way with though so that is a problem and something that makes me sad.

I have more problems with being easy-going and light in a more widespread social way. I can only naturally be like that if the people in the group are a very particular way but I very rarely am in such situations, and I find it hard to adapt and fit into a lot of external situations.
    Well you definitely sound like you're rocking sx Maybe sx/sp?
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

How about you?
    i sent you a pm with various-related thoughts.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Well you definitely sound like you're rocking sx Maybe sx/sp?
    I'm pretty new to the Enneagram, so I'm not very confident yet about typing myself. First I thought I must be sx/sp but in the book I'm reading at the moment I read a description of a sx 5 and I don't really relate to some of those issues, e.g. "The passion of avarice manifests here as a holding back of his affection for fear of being rejected and a holding on to his love object once he has set his sights on her". Maybe this can be the case for male sx 5s? When it came to romantic possibilities I've actually found that as a 5 woman, being withdrawn so that the man has to hunt you down has actually been a good thing for me, attracting very confident types. The sx thing is more a problem in friendships because I seek very close friendships and the older I get, I find this gets more and more difficult, and though I try to enjoy light acquaintances and enjoy the time on a lighter level, in truth, I really don't, although I wish I could because I don't like to be boring or make other people feel bad. Anyway, soc must be at the bottom of my stacking.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I'm pretty new to the Enneagram, so I'm not very confident yet about typing myself. First I thought I must be sx/sp but in the book I'm reading at the moment I read a description of a sx 5 and I don't really relate to some of those issues, e.g. "The passion of avarice manifests here as a holding back of his affection for fear of being rejected and a holding on to his love object once he has set his sights on her". Maybe this can be the case for male sx 5s? When it came to romantic possibilities I've actually found that as a 5 woman, being withdrawn so that the man has to hunt you down has actually been a good thing for me, attracting very confident types. The sx thing is more a problem in friendships because I seek very close friendships and the older I get, I find this gets more and more difficult, and though I try to enjoy light acquaintances and enjoy the time on a lighter level, in truth, I really don't, although I wish I could because I don't like to be boring or make other people feel bad. Anyway, soc must be at the bottom of my stacking.
    Yeah, and it seems that the instinct descriptions are really very inconsistent. I think very few authors are able to successfully predict what forms the instincts take. In my opinion they can manifest in so many different ways that the only effective way to apply them is to get to the underlying idea of the instinct.

I like some of the descriptions that were posted in this thread though: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-vs-sx-sp.html

And I agree, being a female 5 with sp isn't so bad, a lot of guys will put forth a little effort to chase you down. Most girls aren't willing to pursue so aggressively.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"