• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Leadership, and the 8w9

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
After having taken the test, I found out I'm an 8w9.

The challenger and the peacemaker (all rolled into one).

This explains why it feels like I'm being pulled in two opposite directions at once sometimes.

This explains my regard for telling the truth when no one else will.

This explains so many things. But, what it explains most is my desire for leadership.

There seems to be some consensus that Martin Luther King Jr. was an 8w9.

[YOUTUBE="o0FiCxZKuv8"]MLK's last speech before he was assassinated[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: He knew he was going to die at the time this speech was filmed. He faced that death in furtherance of his ideals, with a smile on his face and no hostility in his heart. This is simultaneously the bravest and most noble act man is capable of.

And after having seen this video, I would have to agree that I'm one too.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
8s with 9 wings are an interesting subtype. The 9 wing considerably softens the traits of the 8, making the 8w9 much harder to recognize and understand than a pure 8. Don Riso notes that the 8w9 often holds their power "in reserve". 8w9s are often underestimated, because they can look like mild-mannered 9s one day, only to unleash their aggressive 8 side the next.

This explains a lot.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
8w9's are more likely to let anger build up within themselves, which may manifest in constant bitterness and harshness. Like 8w7's, they view conflict as a way of life, but do not enjoy it as much, since when they are in rebellion against the outside world, they are also in rebellion against a part of themselves that would rather do without the hassle and zone out. They are slow to conflict - they would often rather stand "en garde" and wait for their adversary to "cross the line" - but when they involve themselves in conflict, their hostility has a relentless, sado-masochistic quality to it. They willfully numb their tender feelings, and show a tough face to the world. 8w9's are conspicuously sensitive to the issue of personal boundaries - both their own and everyone else's. "Stay out of my business, and I'll stay out of yours," they will often say in a measured tone that conveys great respect for the other while making it subtly clear that they will not be crossed. When they lighten up, they can be intensely devoted to the protection of others, especially defenseless people whom they have affection for. However, trust does not come easily to them. "Every person's survival is his own business."

As does this.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Healthy Eights with a 9 wing often have an aura of preternatural calm, like they haven't had a self-doubt in decades. Take their authority for granted - queen or king of all they survey. May be gentle, kind-hearted, quieter. Often nurturing, protective parents; steady, supportive friends. Informal and unpretentious, patient, laconic, generally somewhat introverted. Sometimes a dry or ironic sense of humor. May have an aura of implicit, simmering anger rather like a sleeping volcano. Slow to erupt but when they do it's sudden and explosive. When entranced, the 9 wing brings an Eight a kind of callous numbness. They can be oblivious to the force of their anger until after they've hurt someone. Calmly dominating, colder; may have an indifference to softer emotions. If very unhealthy, they can be mean without remorse or aggressive in the service of stupid ends. Paranoid plotting, muddled thinking, moral laziness. Can be vengeful in ill-conceived ways, abuse those they love, don't know when to quit.

And this.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
But none of this matters if the 8 is unhealthy.

Level 1 (Most Healthy - The Level of Liberation): Become self-restrained and magnanimous, merciful and forbearing, mastering self through their self-surrender to a higher authority. Courageous, willing to put self in serious jeopardy to achieve their vision and have a lasting influence. May achieve true heroism and historical greatness.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
8w9s are great. As 9w8 I also feel like I have two forces pulling on me at once in my mind.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The weird thing about being one of the leader types, is that people look at leaders as either the messiah or satan.

People seem to have a hard time seeing us as just people.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Would someone please comment on this.

This is a part of myself, over which, I can generally get no advice.:unsure:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
If you're stressed then try meditation. It's no joke. It works. Exercise also helps.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
The weird thing about being one of the leader types, is that people look at leaders as either the messiah or satan.

People seem to have a hard time seeing us as just people.

This means you need to work to show vulnerability. When you're a "leader" you are often trying to work hard to be and appear strong. This can distance you from other people. To bring them back in, to get them to see you as a person, you need to show some of the flip side that is hidden: vulnerability.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
You're welcome.

Life is all about balance. Just like it says in Karate Kid.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Writing in my blog has helped with the vulnerability aspect I think.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Writing in my blog has helped with the vulnerability aspect I think.

Yea, you do seem a bit more relaxed. People actually need us, especially as men, to share these feelings. We can lead by example and show that it is okay to feel deeply and be complex, and of course it's okay. But, by showing that it is good to feel and respond, we create a safe place for everyone else and set a positive example of integration.

I think an impressive, healthy man is one that can expose his soft underbelly without feeling in danger. It is like the peacock and males of other bird species. They grow luxurious plumage that stands out and makes them a target to predators. But, by making such a strong and confident display, they are proving health and vigor, especially to females. I think emotional health functions in much the same way for men.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
That is probably the most honest thing I've ever heard an ENTP say.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I would be boring if I did the same thing all the time.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My dad is an 8w9, he makes a very good mentor. I agree with the slight introverted quality, it actually made him hard to type. As for leading people, he's had the opportunity many times, and refuses to do it. He'd rather not deal with the stress, and he can keep his self-dependence, though I'm 100% sure that he'd be able to lead better than anyone else could. Most of the time, he's calmer than I am, sometimes when I expect him to go off, he'll just about laugh, it's almost unpredictable. Occasionally he goes off his head and it's usually at the small stuff, and it doesn't last very long, he's learned how to deal with it for the most part.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
hey Disco, and other 8w9s, what is the core of being an 8w9? i mean, what would you describe as the key parts of being 8w9?

how much does the 9 wing temper the 8 aggresiveness?
i have always thought of 8s (with either wing) as very aggressive and dominant at all times, but maybe that is not true. do you 8w9s feel uncomfortable or resentful if you have to forfeit leadership or control over a group?
i am wondering because i always thought i was too laid-back to be an 8w9, but i am now wondering if i am one.