User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Default Enneagram 5w4 versus 5w6

Please provide details of the distinction between Enneagram 5w4 and 5w6.

I've encountered vague and even conflicting descriptions online and seek clarification.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Enneagram 5w4 is generally associated with artistic interests like the 4, but where the 4w5's artistic interests are more romantic in nature, the 5w4 tends to be more surreal and science fiction oriented, so to speak. In short, the 5w4's artistic interests lack a "human" element. Like the 4, the 5w4 is also fantasy-oriented.

Enneagram 5w6 is the absent-minded professor or intellectual nerd stereotype. They're less interested in individuality like the 5w4, but more into the scientific method. 5w6 is generally linked to science and logical understanding of things. Hence, the 5w6 is more associated with academic pursuits. In addition, the 5w6 often has more interest in fitting into social groups due to 6 influence.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Enneagram 5w4 is generally associated with artistic interests like the 4, but where the 4w5's artistic interests are more romantic in nature, the 5w4 tends to be more surreal and science fiction oriented, so to speak. In short, the 5w4's artistic interests lack a "human" element. Like the 4, the 5w4 is also fantasy-oriented.
    Yes -- one can still touch on human themes, but it is more impersonal.

(For example, a move like "Alien" or Giger's work could have been conceived by a 5w4 -- while humanity is still involved, everything is all twisted and bent everything around in a way that really would unsettle a 4w5 because their sense of "humanity" and what it should be about is more anchored. 5w4 is very much able to handle the grotesque.)

Enneagram 5w6 is the absent-minded professor or intellectual nerd stereotype. They're less interested in individuality like the 5w4, but more into the scientific method. 5w6 is generally linked to science and logical understanding of things. Hence, the 5w6 is more associated with academic pursuits. In addition, the 5w6 often has more interest in fitting into social groups due to 6 influence.
    That definition is good. (Have you been reading Riso again? )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That definition is good. (Have you been reading Riso again? )
    Indeed. It's one of my favorite bathroom books!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I was with you until the last statement. I think that may apply more to 6w5s than 5w6s, but I'm basing this only on myself and one other person, so I could be off.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

5w6 tends to be the kind that joins book clubs and so forth, where they can relate to others who share their interests. The 6w5 tries to be interested in whatever their chosen group is interested in.

As the middleman of the Thinking triad, E6 is the least in touch with their own thoughts, leading them to latch onto others, especially when phobic. The 5w6 actively pursues its own interests, often in the hopes of finding others who share them. So in that way, they're more social than the 5w4. The 5w4, by contrast, is more stubbornly individualistic, hence their nickname, The Iconoclast.

MBTI
    INTP

Bah -- I don't like sci-fi. I'm also not a surrealist.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Bah -- I don't like sci-fi. I'm also not a surrealist.
    Surreal killer.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Surreal killer.
    At this hour, merely a cereal killer.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hmm, after reading this thread and investigating further, I'm not sure whether my identification of myself as a 5w6 is totally accurate. I'm more like a 5w4 in some ways, but not in others. I am artistic, I'm an idealist, I'm very abstract. I have very underdeveloped emotions, though. As far as individuality goes, I don't want to go either way. I'm neither a leader nor a follower. I like to remain unattached to labels, and really don't want other people weighing me down as followers.

Also, my self-preservation variant may not be accurate as well. I'm not materialistic at all, I'm just withdrawn most of the time. I seek intense experiences and lofty ideas, which makes me think I may be of the sexual variant. Input, anyone?
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic