User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think the main difference is that a 5w4 is more introverted than a 5w6(even though they're both 5s) because of the individualistic and artistic 4 wing.

I'm a 5w4 Self Preservationist
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
    Also, my self-preservation variant may not be accurate as well. I'm not materialistic at all, I'm just withdrawn most of the time. I seek intense experiences and lofty ideas, which makes me think I may be of the sexual variant. Input, anyone?
    Intensity is part of the sx variant, but in general it is very much focused on intimacy and secret-gathering in individual relationships.

I have a strong sp streak (mostly built up from childhood), but my sx is much more instinctive. I feel most alive when I am alone with another person (in person, in e-mail/writing, you get the idea) and we are basically baring our souls to each other.

I do not bare my soul to just anyone (to me, that is promiscuous), but I will test the waters and go as deep as the other person is willing to go. I have no boundaries in that regard. It's like dropping like a stone into the ocean and going deep, deep, deeper still, and going into the comforting black and never stopping or wanting to stop... I only stop when the other person stops, because I do not want to violate them, or when I sense they will not treasure or value the parts of me I am sharing with them.

Anyhoo, it is that unquenchable thirst for intimacy and depth and just totally knowing and understanding and "joining" with someone else that drives me like little else does.

So it is not detached, like you are describing it. The variants are very much describing how we interact with others (Do we wall ourselves in and conserve our resources? Or do we look for broad and useful affiliations with others and groups of others? Or do we just want to go straight to the core of another person and reveal ourselves as well?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So it is not detached, like you are describing it. The variants are very much describing how we interact with others (Do we wall ourselves in and conserve our resources? Or do we look for broad and useful affiliations with others and groups of others? Or do we just want to go straight to the core of another person and reveal ourselves as well?)
    Now I'm sure I'm primarily a sexual variant. S-P comes out because I don't trust easily, but when someone interests me, I drill into them for understanding. I don't have a lot of relationships, but the ones I do have are very close.

I think the main difference is that a 5w4 is more introverted than a 5w6(even though they're both 5s) because of the individualistic and artistic 4 wing.
    See, I don't see that all the aspects of 4 wings you described must all line up. I'm introverted and artistic, but I'm not deliberately individualistic. I don't think about fitting in or not fitting in. /me shrugs. I also get the feeling that 4 wings are more emotional? Risking getting a lot of criticism, I'll say that I don't think one needs to be emotional to be artistic, or that all arts require a sensitive person.

Anyway, who knows. I'll do more research.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

MBTI
    INXP

Is this a valid statement?: An INTP who is 5w4 has preferences that lean more toward INFP while an INTP who is 5w6 has preferences that lean more toward ESTJ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Is this a valid statement?: An INTP who is 5w4 has preferences that lean more toward INFP while an INTP who is 5w6 has preferences that lean more toward ESTJ.
    I don't see that...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    I don't see that...
    I see that the 5w4 overlaps some with introverted NFx concerns and the 5w6 tends to have a more social component in the sense of investing more into a community/network of similarly intellectually minded peers like an ISTJ might.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I see that the 5w4 overlaps some with introverted NFx concerns and the 5w6 tends to have a more social component in the sense of investing more into a community/network of similarly intellectually minded peers like an ISTJ might.
    That, I do understand, it is the switch from IN to ES that was puzzling to me. Apart from that, I don't think it is wise to see the enneagram as MBTI in disguise...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    That, I do understand, it is the switch from IN to ES that was puzzling to me. Apart from that, I don't think it is wise to see the enneagram as MBTI in disguise...
    Yes, they're really different systems and there's no consistent correlation across the board.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

OK, finally tried my first Enneagram test (the Free version of the RHETI.

Did the same thing I had done on the cognitive processes test, and forced a choice on questions did not apply, then noticed it said you didn;t have to answer all questions as they didn't all apply. So the first results are all 36 questions, and the second ones are with skipping 8 of the questions that did not really apply.

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
    --5-------1-------3-----6------8------6-------1-------2------4
    --3-------1-------2-----3------6------6-------0-------3------4

So strong on 5 in either case, but on the more accurate one, it's a tie between 5 and 6. This I sort of figured. But it doesn't tell you which is the wing. (or, the instinctual variants for that matter). I guess you would have to take the full test (which it then suggests).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes -- one can still touch on human themes, but it is more impersonal.

(For example, a move like "Alien" or Giger's work could have been conceived by a 5w4 -- while humanity is still involved, everything is all twisted and bent everything around in a way that really would unsettle a 4w5 because their sense of "humanity" and what it should be about is more anchored. 5w4 is very much able to handle the grotesque.)
    I'm sorry for the necro(6 years go me!), but how would you describe 4w5 then? What's the difference? Can you provide some kind of example of 4w5 art? Although I can see what you are saying. I'm just curious how you'd delineate the two.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!