• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] I'm starting to think that I may be a 9 instead of a 4

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my individuality is something that is natural not forced. I also wish I could fit in, I can also see sloth as being my sin lol ask anyone that I know. I think my presumed '4ness' could come from me being an INFP. It's also becoming increasingly clear that i'm not an image-focused type, the more that I delve into enneagram.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
To be fair, e4 INFP's are pretty lazy as well. I guess it depends on the type of laziness.

e9's make laziness look fun. Like Baloo.
e4's are lazy like some depressed 19th century poet. They'll lie in bed all day imagining feelings and impressions.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think enneagram is about noticing your natural sense of inertia. What is being typed is really our ego...and ego is a defense mechanism...it's the program we learned as children in order to survive in the world. Sloth is the way the 9 goes to sleep, so he/she doesn't have to be faced with the pain of dissapointing others by asserting him/herself. So he can keep the peace. The 4 I guess keeps churning his identity to avoid the emptiness....the meaninglessness. The 9 has learned to diminish their own importance as an individual...while the 4 is painfully aware of it...even if it is as a broken person; but a person nonetheless...very particular wants and desires and passions.

Of course this is all tricky stuff...specially with enneagrams...one is supposed to be moving as one grows. But the natural tendency...I know that mine as a 9...IS to not move around too much or do much of anything. See what your points of rest is...under overwhelm....that will be the best indication of who you are in the Enneagram.

A 3 is out in the world proving that he/she can achieve goals n shit....THAT's their escape from their core wound. A 4 is more focused on coming across as authentic, understood by the world. A 9 is chillin.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be fair, e4 INFP's are pretty lazy as well. I guess it depends on the type of laziness.

e9's make laziness look fun. Like Baloo.

this was me as a kid

e4's are lazy like some depressed 19th century poet. They'll lie in bed all day imagining feelings and impressions.

this is me now.

I believe i've always been a 9 but a lot of crap has made me very antisocial and more like a 4 but i'm not a 4.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe i've always been a 9 but a lot of crap has made me very antisocial and more like a 4 but i'm not a 4.

Perhaps you've maintained the same tritype but your life circumstances have changed which type is dominant in that tritype?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps you've maintained the same tritype but your life circumstances have changed which type is dominant in that tritype?

Ah mabye? I don't know if I even believe in tritype tbh. I don't really think I should jump onto something else when I barely get enneagram as it is.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really think I should jump onto something else when I barely get enneagram as it is.

No, I don't think you should either. I think tritype is the worst thing that ever happened to Enneagram discussion. It explains nothing - just explains everything away. But on the other hand it's been a convenient market opening for some enterprising individuals too late to catch the first wave of the Ennea-industry.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can totally understand the confusion between 9 and 4. Thing is, 9s don't romanticize their feelings at all. 9s can feel depressive like a 4, and emo, but usually these feelings come from totally different sources (wasting away for the 9, versus the romanticizing and analysis of bad feelings for a 4).

While 9 and 4 both are withdrawn, 4 is also a reactive type, and will have a tendency to deal with things that emotionally rouse them right then and there, in one way or another. 9s on the other hand are a positive outlook type, and will try to deny the bad things in their lives, or not openly recognize problems (does not mean they are not aware of problems). 9s sort of have a live and let live outlook, while 4s have a harder time with that, especially with things that rouse their feelings.

The enneagram institute has helpful comparisons, here is 4 vs 9, I would suggest reading this-

Misidentifying 4 and 9 — The Enneagram Institute

Feel free to ask me anything else you may need to know! Sorry if this is a bit late.