• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Looking for examples of self-actualized 9s

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay guys, a little help. I'm looking for public examples of healthy 9s. Self-actualized 9s that seem to have transcended their stupors and went on to be pretty admirable characters. I guess the teltalle sign of a self-actualized 9 would be that they come across as fully engaged and present with their life/reality in a way that has they move forward towards what they like.

Failing that, I'm looking for just healthy 9s that are pretty cool. I'm trying to get a feel for distinction between a 9 who is hitting their stride, and a 9 who just is your average 9.

Thanks for the input :)

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
courtesy of the enneagram institute.

Type Nine—Levels of Development

Healthy Levels

Level 1 (At Their Best): Become self-possessed, feeling autonomous and fulfilled: have great equanimity and contentment because they are present to themselves. Paradoxically, at one with self, and thus able to form more profound relationships. Intensely alive, fully connected to self and others.

Level 2: Deeply receptive, accepting, unselfconscious, emotionally stable and serene. Trusting of self and others, at ease with self and life, innocent and simple. Patient, unpretentious, good-natured, genuinely nice people.

Level 3: Optimistic, reassuring, supportive: have a healing and calming influence—harmonizing groups, bringing people together: a good mediator, synthesizer, and communicator.

Average Levels

Level 4: Fear conflicts, so become self-effacing and accommodating, idealizing others and "going along" with their wishes, saying "yes" to things they do not really want to do. Fall into conventional roles and expectations. Use philosophies and stock sayings to deflect others.

Level 5: Active, but disengaged, unreflective, and inattentive. Do not want to be affected, so become unresponsive and complacent, walking away from problems, and "sweeping them under the rug." Thinking becomes hazy and ruminative, mostly comforting fantasies, as they begin to "tune out" reality, becoming oblivious. Emotionally indolent, unwillingness to exert self or to focus on problems: indifference.

Level 6: Begin to minimize problems, to appease others and to have "peace at any price." Stubborn, fatalistic, and resigned, as if nothing could be done to change anything. Into wishful thinking, and magical solutions. Others frustrated and angry by their procrastination and unresponsiveness.

Unhealthy Levels

Level 7: Can be highly repressed, undeveloped, and ineffectual. Feel incapable of facing problems: become obstinate, dissociating self from all conflicts. Neglectful and dangerous to others.

Level 8: Wanting to block out of awareness anything that could affect them, they dissociate so much that they eventually cannot function: numb, depersonalized.

Level 9: They finally become severely disoriented and catatonic, abandoning themselves, turning into shattered shells. Multiple personalities possible. Generally corresponds to the Schizoid and Dependent personality disorders.

Nelson Mandela is considered an example of a 9 with healthy levels. :)

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I read that descriptions but it doesn't give me much of what I'm looking for. They are too vague past the average level...as if they had nothing genuinely powerful to say about healthy 9s. They also bend things into always pertaning to some ideal of union with the world as if 9s where there so serve a function defined by...I don't know what...(maybe the term they came up for them as the Peacemakers :sick:). All in all it makes the 9 sound very one-dimensional and hollow.

Nelson Mandela comes across as the most boring as fuck guy ever lol Although yes, according to what I've read he supposedly had a big positive impact in the world. The enneagram says 9s integrate into 3like qualities. So achieving, performing, becoming MORE individualized...he might not be the best example for me.

I think Keanu Reeves, might be a good example of a healthy 9 (?) . The guy has a great work ethic and is quite prollific and involved into whatever he is doing.

There's this trend I see though of most 9s coming across as hollow in some way. Like there's no color to these types...makes me depressed every time i delve into 9 psychology lol I'm looking for something a bit more alluring. Walt Disney was supposedly a 9...that is someone I can see as a positive example. He achieved quite a lot...George Lucas...Ralph Waldo Emerson...

I guess I'm looking for the formula for self-actualization for a 9. We are supposed to use our strengths to self-actualize and become healthy no? I need some reference points to better understand my type and to have some contrast to know what to look for...what to learn.

Hmm...I'm not gonna get many replies am I? :p

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks deathwarmedup :)

Hmm I can see the 9ness in her for sure. She has that same more primal feel to her art and her personal magnetism and physical presence. Like her art is coming more from her gut than her heart if that makes snse.

I think art in general is a good way of disguishing nines from other types. There's something in the process of self-expression that I feel comes very naturally to healthy nines...with a different gravitas, if you will. I think that kind of artistic self-expression is definately an ideal I can get on board with because it's something I value. Self-actualization IS self-expression anyway.« so I guess I need to for other nines who come across as prolific and fulfilled in their way of expressing themselves in the world...hmmm

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
yeah, I think a lot of 9s get mistyped as 4s.

I believe Michael Jackson to be a 9 (some websites say he is a 4w3 so/sx, I disagree). Apparently Beyonce is a 9, according to some sites (Beyonce's typing makes sense to me, so I agree with popular opinion). mmmm Lana Del Rey is likely to be a 9, but there has been debates about her type on this forum ...I think I am still sticking with 9, though (I thought she wa 3w4 at first ...but now I believe her to be a 9). I need to see her arrogance levels before I can even begin to believe that she could be a 4 lol (jk, but not really jk).

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, I think a lot of 9s get mistyped as 4s.

I believe Michael Jackson to be a 9 (some websites say he is a 4w3 so/sx, I disagree). Apparently Beyonce is a 9, according to some sites (Beyonce's typing makes sense to me, so I agree with popular opinion). mmmm Lana Del Rey is likely to be a 9, but there has been debates about her type on this forum ...I think I am still sticking with 9, though (I thought she wa 3w4 at first ...but now I believe her to be a 9). I need to see her arrogance levels before I can even begin to believe that she could be a 4 lol (jk, but not really jk).

Yeah, 4 artists tend to come across as having something to prove to the world, which makes sense considering their core wound. 9s aren't so preoccupied with asserting this really attractive idenityt like 4 can, I definately could see Michael Jackons as a 9(w1), but I'm not well versed in Enneagram typing.