• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] 3 or 8? I still dont know which...

Mechnick

The Crow
Sometimes I tested as 3 sometimes as 8. Whats the difference?

How to know which my basic drive is, the heart or the gut?

Last time I tooked 2 different tests, one says 8w7 sx/sp, another 3w2 sx/so

Mechnick

The Crow
Yes, I think also Trump is 3 not 8. It easy to spot.

I know about the link. The article is biased. It prefer 8s in contrast to 3s.

Author hates 3s and highly favours 8s. Someone is 8 themselves, or highly outshined by 3s. Or both. Maybe it s somone neutral, who just favours 8s, and scorns 3s.

"Eighst are the real deal, the real 'article, instead of 3s who are fake images without substance..."

How someone can be so stupid to call someone else a 'real article'. When 'article', in and of itself, is something artificial.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sometimes I tested as 3 sometimes as 8. Whats the difference?

How to know which my basic drive is, the heart or the gut?

Last time I tooked 2 different tests, one says 8w7 sx/sp, another 3w2 sx/so

Have you looked at the table showing ego fixation, holy idea, vice/passion, basic fear, basic desire, temptation, virtue et cetera on Enneagram of Personality (Wikipedia)?

Type 3
Ego fixation: Vanity
Holy idea: Hope, Law
Basic fear: Worthlessness
Basic desire: To feel valuable
Temptation: Pushing self to always be "the best"
Vice/Passion: Deceit
Virtue: Truthfulness, Authenticity
Stress type: 9
Security type: 6

Type 8
Ego fixation: Vengeance (Objectification)
Holy idea: Truth
Basic fear: Being harmed, controlled, violated
Basic desire: Self-protection
Temptation: Thinking they are completely self-sufficient
Vice/Passion: Lust (Forcefulness)
Virtue: Innocence
Stress type: 5
Security type: 2

Mechnick

The Crow
Have you looked at the table showing ego fixation, holy idea, vice/passion, basic fear, basic desire, temptation, virtue et cetera on Enneagram of Personality (Wikipedia)?

Type 3
Ego fixation: Vanity
Holy idea: Hope, Law
Basic fear: Worthlessness
Basic desire: To feel valuable
Temptation: Pushing self to always be "the best"
Vice/Passion: Deceit
Virtue: Truthfulness, Authenticity
Stress type: 9
Security type: 6

Type 8
Ego fixation: Vengeance (Objectification)
Holy idea: Truth
Basic fear: Being harmed, controlled, violated
Basic desire: Self-protection
Temptation: Thinking they are completely self-sufficient
Vice/Passion: Lust (Forcefulness)
Virtue: Innocence
Stress type: 5
Security type: 2

Tnx, dude.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Meh, honestly I'm really skeptical of explanations that say things to the effect that often, people mistype as 8s or mistype as 5s or whatever. The way I understand 8, there's nothing all that mysterious about it. A smarter or more powerful 3 can kick an 8 lesser in those categories out of the water.

I think there's an actual difference in how these types all frame their attitudes towards their having needs to be fulfilled within the world. The gut types seem to rely least on a sense of ego separate from the world -- where an image type may wish expressly to build this up, so as to mark its significance, and a head type may build it up to figure out what the boundaries are separating it from the world/its ability to fulfill/threaten their needs.

So for example, 1 is the gut type closest to the image triad on the enneagram, and the idea is that, instead of establishing an image, the 1 perfects everything -- this implicitly obliterates the question of lacking worthiness in oneself, as one notices.
Similarly, 8s repress inhibition, which is a theme of the nearby 5/6/7 triad (where 7s straddle the lines -- gluttony is a mixture of inhibition/craving, where the focus is on not feeling denied, not on truly devouring).
They can be narcissistic or self-indulgent, and full of themselves for their power (if indeed they are powerful), but there isn't the same quest to establish their significance as with 3s. It's more a focus on getting one's way/having nothing stand in that way than a focus on one's worth/significance.

Mechnick

The Crow
"Genuine article" can be looked up in any online dictionary. Dude.

Then 'any online dictionary' is wrong, also. It cant be 'genuine' and 'article' togheter. It's oxymoron. Genuine is same as original, authentic! Article is artificial, generic.

Jaguar

Did you just said people in US are iliterate. Couse that 'idiom' is oxymoron:1.a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”.

Ewe err mekking sheet oop.

ksadxkk

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For the same reason that Threes confuse themselves with Sevens and Fives (because they are looking for a flattering identity), it is far more likely that Threes identify themselves as Eights rather than vice versa
Huh. I've never in my life thought that 7 or 5 were superior to 3s. Or the other way around, really. Or 8s. They all sound bad.

I'm on mobile and so I can't write a whole dissertation on the subject, but you strike me as an 8.

I'm one of the least 8 3s you'd see. Diplomacy's one of my things, partly because diplomacy is severely lacking and partly because diplomacy is seen as a strength. So maybe I can be a point of comparison.