User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which enneagram type pretends to be someone else?

just hanging in limbo Array Smilephantomhive's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    63X sp/so

Default Which enneagram type pretends to be someone else?

Which enneagram type feels like they are inferior and must become someone else to be worth anything? Like they don't one day go "I need to become someone else!" But it's more like they unconsciously act like the "superior" person. When taking a personality the unknowingly pick the traits they like instead of what they really are.

So yeah which enneagram type is like this?
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    541 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII None

I imagine someone whose core is a head type is the most likely to do this. Not sure how, or if this would affect instinctual variants.

Head fixes are the centre of fear. I imagine head types are the most self-conscious and calculated, recognizing their fears.
    I am exploiting others as guinea pigs to further my understanding of typology.

I'm a Ti-Ne. My MBTI is listed as ENTJ because from dichotomies alone, that's my best fit.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I'm not sure how type related this is, I feel like anyone with deep insecurities is prone to this.

However, if I had to pick an enneagram type I'd say the heart types. Especially 3's and 4's. Above all else we want to be loved, admired, and understood. We're willing to fake it if necessary (which doesn't *actually* work, but that's another topic entirely).
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes lumi liked this post

Troll with heart of gold Array Brain in a Jar's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

I can see 3 and 9 doing this. 3s as they will see person X being successful and well looked up to and try and take on traits of this person to succeed while 9s will merge with others to keep the peace and earn harmony with others. I guess threes would purposely take on the traits of another person while nines will do it more unconscionably. I should know as I do both .
    The imagination is one of the greater tools to help people with. When people are down give them a rocket boost to overcome the gravity of depression. Some have Jupiter levels of depression gravity and others just an atoms gravity but keep giving the imagination fuel, Watch out for the self-destruction button though

The most fun moment in history "When sexual reproduction was invented"

E type=7w6-9w1-3w2
    Likes geedoenfj, lumi liked this post

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    xxxx None

Sounds like it might not be a question of if a type does it, but why would they do it... Like heart types might do it for acceptance, a 6 might do it out of authority issues, 9 to subconsciously merge...
    Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer, cascadeco liked this post

Unapologetically Curious Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I've heard that unhealthy 4s tend to do this, but not for the reason you describe. They tend to do it more out of idealizations they may have for another figure when their own personal understanding of their self, is lacking? Will have to revisit this though as it's been a while and my memory unclear atm, but when I read it, I remember thinking "ah yes, I can see how that'd make sense".
    "So dom in an Fi user is like giving a shotgun to a guy with no arms" ~sadly, this is true
    -Brain in a Jar

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

Love you Clouds!
    Likes lumi liked this post

artist without a medium Array RareBird's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI None

Anyone who doesn't want to be their type may do this, but I see it being a "thing" for 3s the most.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking e3 and e4. Both have the inferiority issues you mentioned (though e4s are more consciously aware of those feelings), try to construct an identity that makes them feel important (e3) or significant and unique (e4), and (from what I've read about those types) tend to incorporate aspects of others' personalities into their own in order to construct these identities. I've read that identification (unconsciously modeling behavior after other/s) is more prominent in e3s, while introjection (adopting not just behaviors but also internalizing feelings and attitudes of certain other/s) is more common for e4s. IMO e3s are more likely to identify with people who they view as being admired by others or close to a societal ideal, while e4s are more likely to introject from people they personally view as admirable for being unique, original, and interesting.

e9s can also unconsciously assimilate traits from the people they merge with, but it's not driven by the motivation of trying to feel less inferior like an e3. My understanding is that it's instead motivated by a desire to avoid conflict and separation (both externally and internally) with their "merging partners" in order to preserve their sense of identity that relies on feeling at one with them in order to preserve their own inner peace.

Anyway, just throwing my 2 cents out there, take with a grain of salt, etc.

“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse

Crusader Array GloriaInExcelsisDeo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    125 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ISTj None

Basic fear & desire of each type:
    1 - Corruptness, imbalance, being bad - Goodness, integrity, balance
    2 - Being unloved - To feel love
    3 - Worthlessness - To feel valuable
    4 - Having no identity or significance - To be uniquely themselves
    5 - Helplessness, incapability, incompetence - Mastery, understanding
    6 - Being without support or guidance - To have support and guidance
    7 - Being trapped in pain and deprivation - To be satisfied and content
    8 - Being harmed, controlled, violated - Self-protection
    9 - Loss, fragmentation, separation - Wholeness, peace of mind

Additionally, the vice/passion of type 3 is deceit, so my money is on 3, although it should be said that the temptations of 1 and 2 are hypocrisy and manipulation respectively.
    Enneagram
    Tritype: 125 (The Mentor = Gut-Heart-Head = Rational-Idealistic/Caring-Interpersonal/Intense-Cerebral)
    Main type: 1 (The Reformer = Gut = Rational-Idealistic) Wing types: 1w9 > 2w1 > 5w6
    Instinctual variant stacking: sx/sp

Socionics
    LSI-0-ISTj (The Inspector - Logical Sensing Introvert)

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
    ISTJ (The Duty Fulfiller - )

JCF
    Ti = Se > Te = Si = Fi > Fe > Ne > Ni

Temperament
    Phlegmatic
    Likes ñoño liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Nine all the way.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers