• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Which enneagram type pretends to be someone else?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Which enneagram type feels like they are inferior and must become someone else to be worth anything? Like they don't one day go "I need to become someone else!" But it's more like they unconsciously act like the "superior" person. When taking a personality the unknowingly pick the traits they like instead of what they really are.

So yeah which enneagram type is like this?

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I imagine someone whose core is a head type is the most likely to do this. Not sure how, or if this would affect instinctual variants.

Head fixes are the centre of fear. I imagine head types are the most self-conscious and calculated, recognizing their fears.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not sure how type related this is, I feel like anyone with deep insecurities is prone to this.

However, if I had to pick an enneagram type I'd say the heart types. Especially 3's and 4's. Above all else we want to be loved, admired, and understood. We're willing to fake it if necessary (which doesn't *actually* work, but that's another topic entirely).

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can see 3 and 9 doing this. 3s as they will see person X being successful and well looked up to and try and take on traits of this person to succeed while 9s will merge with others to keep the peace and earn harmony with others. I guess threes would purposely take on the traits of another person while nines will do it more unconscionably. I should know as I do both :D.

Serendippopotamus

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
6w7
Sounds like it might not be a question of if a type does it, but why would they do it... Like heart types might do it for acceptance, a 6 might do it out of authority issues, 9 to subconsciously merge...

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've heard that unhealthy 4s tend to do this, but not for the reason you describe. They tend to do it more out of idealizations they may have for another figure when their own personal understanding of their self, is lacking? Will have to revisit this though as it's been a while and my memory unclear atm, but when I read it, I remember thinking "ah yes, I can see how that'd make sense".

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Anyone who doesn't want to be their type may do this, but I see it being a "thing" for 3s the most.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking e3 and e4. Both have the inferiority issues you mentioned (though e4s are more consciously aware of those feelings), try to construct an identity that makes them feel important (e3) or significant and unique (e4), and (from what I've read about those types) tend to incorporate aspects of others' personalities into their own in order to construct these identities. I've read that identification (unconsciously modeling behavior after other/s) is more prominent in e3s, while introjection (adopting not just behaviors but also internalizing feelings and attitudes of certain other/s) is more common for e4s. IMO e3s are more likely to identify with people who they view as being admired by others or close to a societal ideal, while e4s are more likely to introject from people they personally view as admirable for being unique, original, and interesting.

e9s can also unconsciously assimilate traits from the people they merge with, but it's not driven by the motivation of trying to feel less inferior like an e3. My understanding is that it's instead motivated by a desire to avoid conflict and separation (both externally and internally) with their "merging partners" in order to preserve their sense of identity that relies on feeling at one with them in order to preserve their own inner peace.

Anyway, just throwing my 2 cents out there, take with a grain of salt, etc.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Basic fear & desire of each type:
1 - Corruptness, imbalance, being bad - Goodness, integrity, balance
2 - Being unloved - To feel love
3 - Worthlessness - To feel valuable
4 - Having no identity or significance - To be uniquely themselves
5 - Helplessness, incapability, incompetence - Mastery, understanding
6 - Being without support or guidance - To have support and guidance
7 - Being trapped in pain and deprivation - To be satisfied and content
8 - Being harmed, controlled, violated - Self-protection
9 - Loss, fragmentation, separation - Wholeness, peace of mind

Additionally, the vice/passion of type 3 is deceit, so my money is on 3, although it should be said that the temptations of 1 and 2 are hypocrisy and manipulation respectively.

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
This seems to be primarily an attachment type issue. Feeling a lack of self and the need that follows from that to 'assimilate' other people's traits. I've heard these sentiments the most from 6's and 9's. Not 3's, interestingly enough. Perhaps it's because this is a core problem for them so it hurts too much to admit? Especially the "superior/inferior" aspect makes this a topic for e3.

I've seen some referring to 4 here, but that doesn't add up to me. A type with an unhealthy focus on authenticity who then proceeds to pretend to be something they're not? Nah. Don't get me wrong, 4's are fake in their own ways, but they are too self-centered to have their eye fixated on assimilating traits that "aren't theirs."
Introjection isn't that. Introjection is identifying with the feelings that the 4 themselves (!) create, feelings that are the consequence of absolute obsession of another.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see types 3, 4, and even 9 doing this as well.

3s out of fear of feeling worthless, so they adopt a persona based on cultural/societal values.

4s will try to "own" their flaws in order to feel authentic to their true, "damaged" self.

9s might try emulating a person with qualities they feel that they lack. In the process, they end up merging their traits into their own idenitity.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

aldana

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a 6 or 9, maybe both

Ayuhime

I was writing a long reply but in short yes, most likely central triangle types (3,6,9) and 4s.