• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] 538 VS. 548

FiyaXiii

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are the differences between a sx/sp 538 VS. 548?

Would be even more helpful if you considered the MBTI type as INTP too. I'm really struggling figuring out whether I'm 5w6 3w4 8w7 or a 5w6 4w3 8w7. I've also noticed that generally, these two tritypes are rarely compared or talked about much in detail.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I am on record as thinking that tritypes, especially winged tritypes, are dumb.

However, I would expect the primary difference between those two would be an External (3) vs. Internal (4) focus on validation, worth, and self-esteem.

What does success mean to you? How do worldly accomplishments and others' opinions of your life make you feel? What kinds of things do you share with others when you're proud?

All

I'm also intp and trying to figure out if I'm 548 or 538

perfect_st0rm

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
538: More driven towards success, image-conscious, less in touch with actual feelings. 8 and 5 intensity is more external toward 3 goals.

548: More brooding, detached, cynical. Very intense - 8 energy directed more inward toward 5 and 4 introspection. "Dark" and existentialist outlook on life

FiyaXiii

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am on record as thinking that tritypes, especially winged tritypes, are dumb.

However, I would expect the primary difference between those two would be an External (3) vs. Internal (4) focus on validation, worth, and self-esteem.

What does success mean to you? How do worldly accomplishments and others' opinions of your life make you feel? What kinds of things do you share with others when you're proud?

I see tritypes and wings making a huge difference personally. I've seen numerous people with my MBTI and main enneagram type online, and after conversing, we all notice how different we still are from each-other based on how we carry ourselves, how we react and come across. I used to think all this was heading into the whole pseudo-intellect realm myself, but after months of observing I've noticed instinctual subtypes and wings make a huge difference. I checked and compared unhealthy INTP 5s and healthy ones with myself too, hence why I doubt that played much of a role in making us act so different. It also makes more sense that there are a ton of other personality theories that we need to consider and study to understand people better. That's at-least how I see it.

Anyways, success in life to me is basically achieving my ideal career, being financially stable, making big changes in my community, proving people wrong and being respected by almost everyone in my life. I want to be looked up to, admired and respected for my intelligence and actual hard work. I basically want both internal and external validation, but I feel like internal validation is easier to achieve than external validation, and that's why I want external validation so damn bad.

How do worldly accomplishments and others' opinions of your life make you feel?

It depends on what sort of people the opinions are coming from. I don't value the opinion of someone who has nothing planned out, who ignores the facts or evidence, can only criticize and not get to the point, or only talk about the past and 'hope for the best' for the future. If certain people like that tell me I'm doing something wrong with my life or that I am heading for a dead end, I simply try not to care. If the opinion is repeated and voiced out over an extended period of time, it does start to make me question myself and attempt considering changing myself, but that's basically me at an unhealthy stage and a healthy me would never do so because I know the opinion is illogical.

If it's coming from someone who points at irrefutable evidence and sound logic, and if the person is well-accomplished and successful, I'm very likely to value that opinion or doing my best to keep up with that person or even readjust my own perspective and implement their reasoning or suggestion in.

Currently I don't feel like I've achieved any proper worldly accomplishment and am pretty depressed about that, especially because I'm currently in a toxic environment that I'm trying to leave, and I'm definitely working on accomplishing things and I'm going at it really hard according to people close to me who I did have an argument with on the topic of hard work.

What kinds of things do you share with others when you're proud?

How I have certain facts or views that make sense ultimately? Basically I tend to get really involved with certain discussions or discourse. I tend to start of weak and finish strong, and when I get my points across and even get the other party to agree or have nothing to refute, I feel really proud :D

I try to help people out as much as I can, and when I've accomplished that, I tend to share how happy I am that I got the opportunity to help someone with said individual(s). There have been times I've come off as too prideful (my ex chose prideful, not me) when I've talked about my rationality, my intuition and basically how I can see through some of the BS people bring up. I think the later is quite rare for me

FiyaXiii

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
538: More driven towards success, image-conscious, less in touch with actual feelings. 8 and 5 intensity is more external toward 3 goals.

548: More brooding, detached, cynical. Very intense - 8 energy directed more inward toward 5 and 4 introspection. "Dark" and existentialist outlook on life

Seen them earlier, didn't really help much cause I identify with both at times.
I'm success-oriented and get extremely upset when things get in my way, I keep on shoving my feelings aside because I'm scared they'll consume me or give me migraines and I'm INTP but both test and mbti+enneagram people on blogs can notice my 8's intensity towards 3 really well based off of how I've spoken to them.[/B]

I'm definitely a brooder there, I can be detached but I doubt my detached tendencies are anything too excessive since I know I tend to get very passionate or feel strongly about quite a few things. I've been told I'm cynical by people and I see it too and I honestly am struggling here with figuring out whether I'm using more 3 or 4, or even whether my mental health is playing a role in anything.

ElleG

MBTI Type
INJF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are the differences between a sx/sp 538 VS. 548?

Would be even more helpful if you considered the MBTI type as INTP too. I'm really struggling figuring out whether I'm 5w6 3w4 8w7 or a 5w6 4w3 8w7. I've also noticed that generally, these two tritypes are rarely compared or talked about much in detail.

I personally don't think that Enneagram and MBTi should be compared or meshed together: i think they're two very different frameworks. The foundation of MBTi is Jungian and describes a person's cognitive process in a quantitative way. I don't see the Enneagram as measuring that at all.

So it sounds like you are trying to determine where you lie in the heart triad, right?

If it were me, I would start with info abotu mistyping 3 and 4 (see below), how different heart types present themselves (see below) and Karen's Horney's trends (see below):

Mistyping 3 and 4

Misidentifying 3 and 4 — The Enneagram Institute

From Stackemup.net

Heart: information a person consciously or unconsciously presents about him/herself.
-2 presents as more unimportant, humble, a 'servant'...
-3 presents as more of a consistent winner, sometimes regal....
-4 presents as more intense, self-referential, deep, sometimes erratic

Karen Horney Trends

3 - moves against
4 - moves away

8 - moves against
5 - moves away

538 = moves away, moves against, moves against
548 = moves away, moves away, moves against

Do you tend to strike outward and against? (538)
OR
Do you tend to go more inward and away? (548)

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

ElleG

MBTI Type
INJF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it were me trying to figure this out (and it took a lot of research for me to type myself), I would do the following:

1) Leave MBTi out of it--that might cause more confusion since it's a completely different framework than Enneagram. I think the attempts being made to correlate MBTi with Enneagram types is like comparing apples and oranges.
________

2) Look at how 3 and 4 can be confused: Misidentifying 3 and 4 — The Enneagram Institute
_______

3) Look at how the heart triad presents:

Heart: information a person consciously or unconsciously presents about him/herself.
-2 presents as more unimportant, humble, a 'servant'...
-3 presents as more of a consistent winner, sometimes regal....
-4 presents as more intense, self-referential, deep, sometimes erratic

Source: Tritype archetypes and variant descriptions
______

4) Compare the tritypes using Karen Horney's Trends (move away, move toward, move against):

3 - moves against
4 - moves away

5 - moves away
8 - moves against

538 (moves away, moves against, moves against) = Are you more aggressive?
548 (moves away, moves away, moves against) = Are you more withdrawing?

Source: Karen Horney’s Three Trends (Moving Towards, Against, Away From) and the Enneagram Styles

____

5) I'd also look at the levels of integration (healthy, average, unhealthy) for 3, 4, 5 and 8 to figure out where you are at or might be at for 3 or 4

Hope this helps and good luck!

Nawraa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see tritypes and wings making a huge difference personally. I've seen numerous people with my MBTI and main enneagram type online, and after conversing, we all notice how different we still are from each-other based on how we carry ourselves, how we react and come across. I used to think all this was heading into the whole pseudo-intellect realm myself, but after months of observing I've noticed instinctual subtypes and wings make a huge difference. I checked and compared unhealthy INTP 5s and healthy ones with myself too, hence why I doubt that played much of a role in making us act so different. It also makes more sense that there are a ton of other personality theories that we need to consider and study to understand people better. That's at-least how I see it.

Anyways, success in life to me is basically achieving my ideal career, being financially stable, making big changes in my community, proving people wrong and being respected by almost everyone in my life. I want to be looked up to, admired and respected for my intelligence and actual hard work. I basically want both internal and external validation, but I feel like internal validation is easier to achieve than external validation, and that's why I want external validation so damn bad.

How do worldly accomplishments and others' opinions of your life make you feel?

It depends on what sort of people the opinions are coming from. I don't value the opinion of someone who has nothing planned out, who ignores the facts or evidence, can only criticize and not get to the point, or only talk about the past and 'hope for the best' for the future. If certain people like that tell me I'm doing something wrong with my life or that I am heading for a dead end, I simply try not to care. If the opinion is repeated and voiced out over an extended period of time, it does start to make me question myself and attempt considering changing myself, but that's basically me at an unhealthy stage and a healthy me would never do so because I know the opinion is illogical.

If it's coming from someone who points at irrefutable evidence and sound logic, and if the person is well-accomplished and successful, I'm very likely to value that opinion or doing my best to keep up with that person or even readjust my own perspective and implement their reasoning or suggestion in.

Currently I don't feel like I've achieved any proper worldly accomplishment and am pretty depressed about that, especially because I'm currently in a toxic environment that I'm trying to leave, and I'm definitely working on accomplishing things and I'm going at it really hard according to people close to me who I did have an argument with on the topic of hard work.

What kinds of things do you share with others when you're proud?

How I have certain facts or views that make sense ultimately? Basically I tend to get really involved with certain discussions or discourse. I tend to start of weak and finish strong, and when I get my points across and even get the other party to agree or have nothing to refute, I feel really proud :D

I try to help people out as much as I can, and when I've accomplished that, I tend to share how happy I am that I got the opportunity to help someone with said individual(s). There have been times I've come off as too prideful (my ex chose prideful, not me) when I've talked about my rationality, my intuition and basically how I can see through some of the BS people bring up. I think the later is quite rare for me
I am pretty much confident you are a 538. I think 548 might care a lot about what others think of them, but then hardly do anything about it. They basically tend to give up to the dark side of their thoughts and not continuously trying to improve like a 538